PDA

View Full Version : GPO next to Basin

Willy
8th July 2006, 11:02 AM
Hi peoples,

Can anyone tell me how close or should I say how far away a GPO should be from a tap and basin/vanity for it to be leagal, and should the bathroom light switch be in the bathroom or on the outside wall as I have one thats on the wall next to the glass shower screen?

Thx willy:confused: :confused: :confused:

renomart
8th July 2006, 11:29 AM
Not sure about bathrooms but it may be similiar to kitchen restricted zones.

You cannot place a GPO in a zone less than 100mm from the top of a benchtop.

If your sink has a capacity of 20 litres or less then the GPO cannot be closer than 150mm to the side of the sink and 400mm above the sink.

If your sink has a capacity of 20 litres or more then the GPO cannot be closer than 500mm to the side of the sink and 1000mm above the sink.

You can have a GPO in the restricted zone but it has to be inside a cabinet which complies with AS 1939 with a degree of protection IP34.

Simple, huh! :eek:

Willy
8th July 2006, 12:31 PM
Ok thats good :) I will be well clear.

Thx for you reply

Pulse
8th July 2006, 12:34 PM
Willy, don't have AS3000 handy but with regards to the shower, best place it outside, I think it is 900mm, basically out of reach of someone in the shower so they don't touch it with wet hands.

Cheers
Pulse

renomart
8th July 2006, 12:37 PM
Don't forget that data is for kitchens not bathrooms.

Pulse
8th July 2006, 07:35 PM
Just looked up AS3000:

basin: if less than 45L capacity then socket outlet >400mm above or >150 to the side of the basin with RCD protection

shower: switch >600mm from the screen.

Cheers
Pulse

gsouth
10th July 2006, 11:27 AM
The sparkey that did our work said the trick with the light switch is to watch the way the door to your shower opens - rule of thumb if you can reach it while standing in the shower with the door open it's too close.
OUr door opens outwards from the shower and swings to cover the light switch....so you have to get out of the shower to turn them on or off.

Willy
10th July 2006, 06:19 PM
Hi peoples and once again thanks for all your help.

We wont be able to get to it from the shower but I think I will mount it outside the bathrrom anyway, I remember as a Kid touching the light switch in the house I grew up on and got a shock from considation a number of times.:eek:

So I guess better to be safe then sorry, oh and yes we have a fan but the Mrs likes the Steam room effect during the winter.

Once again thanks for your Help.

Willy