PDA

View Full Version : Extra long dovetail / finger joints

Gman
9th July 2006, 02:23 AM
I'm wondering whats the best way to make a long dovetail or finger joint. The joint would be approx. 700mm long. I've noticed that most jigs go up to only 300mm. I plan to join 20mm thick jarrah. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Zed
9th July 2006, 06:09 AM
I'm wondering whats the best way to make a long dovetail or finger joint. The joint would be approx. 700mm long. I've noticed that most jigs go up to only 300mm. I plan to join 20mm thick jarrah. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

the leigh will allow you greater sizing lengths.

the gifkins is very accurate so (*If*) you can line up boards accurately you can bisquit them together on top of one another. Roger has also been known in the past to sell a longer vrsion of his jig.

cheers

Dan
9th July 2006, 11:58 AM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=211539

Gumby
9th July 2006, 12:03 PM
I'm a bit confused by this. How can you make dovetail or finger joints which are longer than the thickness of the timber ? :confused: I'm assuming it's a box joint, not joining lengthwise.

Coldamus
9th July 2006, 01:55 PM
I'm a bit confused by this. How can you make dovetail or finger joints which are longer than the thickness of the timber ?

I think he's saying that the box sides (or whatever he's joining) are 700 mm high. So the width of the joint is 700mm.

Coldamus

Gman
9th July 2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for you help Zed and Dan.

Gumby, i'm actually making a set of boxed legs for a billiard table restoration. So i'm trying to make a nice join along the length of the timber which are 700mm long x 170mm wide, the thickness of the wood is 20mm.