PDA

View Full Version : School Fair boxes

dazzler
9th July 2006, 11:08 AM
Hey

For our school fair I have bin volunteered to make a few pencil boxes.

Any suggestions on the quickest way to make twenty or so basic pencil boxes using the gifkins jig.

I was thinking 12mm pine or 9mm mdf, routed bottom for some 3mm masonite, and a slide-in masonite top by TS a rebate in the top of the sides.

Any other ideas?

cheers

dazzler

Gumby
9th July 2006, 11:51 AM
Stick with the pine. Have you ever tried dovetailing mdf? It's useless. The furry stuff sticks and the joints either don't go together properly if they are loose or are so tight you can't get them apart again. Besides that, creating that much mdf dust isn't my idea of a fun day in the shed.

dazzler
9th July 2006, 04:24 PM
Yes........pine it is:D

zenwood
9th July 2006, 07:48 PM
Keyed mitres must be quicker than dovetails, and many would think more attractive.

Solid wood or plywood would have to be contenders rather than masonite or MDf for the lids / bottoms. Fit them without glue to table-sawn grooves cut in the sides.

Something like the pic would be amenable to repeat production.

dazzler
9th July 2006, 10:29 PM
Keyed mitres must be quicker than dovetails, and many would think more attractive.

Solid wood or plywood would have to be contenders rather than masonite or MDf for the lids / bottoms. Fit them without glue to table-sawn grooves cut in the sides.

Something like the pic would be amenable to repeat production.

Very good idea....

Sprog
9th July 2006, 11:20 PM
If you have a router table then another option is to use a lock mitre bit.
Very strong joint and very quick to make after initial setup.

http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/DrawerLockMiter.html

and

http://www.oldham-usa.com/Products/BitsMain/Tip%20and%20tricks/Sect13/LockMiterJoints.htm

MarpleMan
10th July 2006, 02:29 PM
Zenwoods diagram looks a little like my box

ss_11000
10th July 2006, 05:22 PM
at school we used a clear plastic (perspex??) for the lids of the pencil boxes we made.