PDA

View Full Version : Metal suppliers (Sydney)

snowyskiesau
9th July 2006, 04:12 PM
Can anyone point me at metal suppliers in Sydney that are happy to provide small quanties? Aluminium and mild steel are what I'm looking for.

This is for use with a lathe and/or mill. Most planned projects are small and don't justify getting 3 or 4 metres lengths - plus it's a bit difficult to carry on the bus...

Regards
Geoff

bsrlee
9th July 2006, 08:51 PM
Southern Cross Steel at Mascot will do cut-to-size. There is no bus, but its close to Mascot Railway Station ($$$) or the Airport if you want really quick delivery ;-). If you need multiple lengths of the same stock, get them to cut it for you rather than stuffing about with a hacksaw yourself (personal experience). They have a huge range of standard sizes plus bins of offcuts - I'm not so sure about Aluminium, I was only looking for steel & my mate's buisness buys full lengths of Ally from Capral.

Ausscrap (we call it Auss Crap but its suposed to be Aus Scrap) sell all sorts of sheet & plate at their yards but no cut-to-size service.

graemet
9th July 2006, 10:43 PM
Copper & Brass in Stanton Rd. Seven Hills for those two, ALL grades of steel at The Steel Store, Marayong, Emco, Rawson street Auburn for all sorts of stuff. You will need wheels for all, however, nowhere near public transport.
Cheers
Graeme

snowyskiesau
10th July 2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the feed back. While I'm waiting for the lathe to be delivered (AL60 from H&F) , I'll visit a couple of the scrap sites and see what they have.

Regards
Geoff

dyrodium
21st July 2006, 01:41 PM
I'm also intersted, I know of mascot steel (same place as you mentioned?), But where abouts are/is aus scrap places?
Any near the city or close to train stations? :)

Outsider
21st July 2006, 03:10 PM
Graeme could you please provide more information on the

The Steel Store, Marayong

I don't seem to be able to find it on the web or in telephone book. It's probably me.

Cheers

glock40sw
21st July 2006, 04:34 PM
G'day.
Try:
Veslys Metal Products Pty Ltd 8-10 Cadogan St Marrickville Sydney, NSW 2204 Australia

His name is George
He sells on ebay as offcuts.galore

I have bought from him and he is great.

bsrlee
21st July 2006, 09:34 PM
AusScrap is in Gladstone St Newtown, opposite the old Mill that is being turned into apartments. Fairly convenient to bus & rail, if you have a strong back.;)

I'm not sure where their other yard is, but it is supposed to be much bigger.

graemet
22nd July 2006, 11:54 PM
Graeme could you please provide more information on the

The Steel Store, Marayong

I don't seem to be able to find it on the web or in telephone book. It's probably me.

Cheers
I had the same trouble when a mate told me about them, They aren't listed anywhere you would be expecting to find them as they are a branch of a multinational corp whith a peculiar name.
Anyway, you will find them on the corner of Binney Road and Turbo Road, sometimes called Kings Park, off Vardys Road. Only open Mon to Fri and close early on Friday, 2pm. They cut to size and also have a great range of precut sections in all grades of steel.
Cheers
Graeme

Outsider
24th July 2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks, I drive past there most days on the way home about 1630.

Cheers

Jon
25th July 2006, 02:41 PM
On the odd occasions I need little bits of steel I go to Edcon in Penny Place, Blacktown/Arndel Park.
http://www.edconsteel.com.au/locations.htm

Very helpful fellas. They have offcuts and scrap that they sell by the kilo.

Jon