PDA

View Full Version : Poxy Light Box

Daddles
9th July 2006, 05:22 PM
Hey Mik. A question about light boxes to keep my epoxy in. A quick rummage in the shed has satisfied me that I don't have anything readily convertible, so I have make it from scratch (hmm, polished timber, dovetail joints, brass fittings :rolleyes: ). Sooooo, if I'm going to make something, I'd might as well at least have a go at getting it right the first time. Any suggestions? What to make? How to make? Material? Special features (stubby holder, etc)? Size? Wattage of globe?

Richard

bitingmidge
9th July 2006, 05:40 PM
Richard, Richard, Richard....

Get a bedlamp with a 40 or 60 W bulb, make sure it's not touching the sides, and stick it in a cardboard carton.

Cheers,

P
:rolleyes:

Daddles
9th July 2006, 07:14 PM
Don't have any cardboard cartons - they get appropriated by my daughter :D

Nah, I know there's the slack, easy way. But sometimes, when you've been working with these things for awhile, you realise there are features that make them easier to use. I'm just trying not to re-invent the wheel, that's all.

Richard
do I really need to go with that jarrah inlay:confused:

bitingmidge
9th July 2006, 07:27 PM
Haven't you got a perfectly servicable boat shaped one in the backyard?

Just need a lid?

P
:D

Daddles
9th July 2006, 07:54 PM
Haven't you got a perfectly servicable boat shaped one in the backyard?

Just need a lid?

P
:D

Yeah, but I'd need more than a 60W globe to heat up the interior of a 12' yacht.

Now, if I had a prototype Puddle Duck ... or a half built Eureka ... :D

Richard

bitingmidge
9th July 2006, 07:57 PM
Yeah, but I'd need more than a 60W globe to heat up the interior of a 12' yacht.

Now, if I had a prototype Puddle Duck ... or a half built Eureka ... :D

Now that I think of it, go down to Bunney's and buy one of those 2 for $29.00 1500 W halogen lights. Set it above your poxy and your whole shed will be heated. I always reckon I know how a fresh hatched chicken feels when I turn mine on!

cheers,

P

Daddles
9th July 2006, 08:17 PM
MMM. Roast chicken. My Siamese is in the bad books at the moment. I left my dinner on the sink to defrost, came inside after my latest disaster, and found the bastard had tucked into half my dinner. Wonder if I could dip him in poxy and mount him on the foredeck, a bit like the Jaguar car mascot :rolleyes:

Richard

Lignum
9th July 2006, 08:26 PM
I always reckon I know how a fresh hatched chicken feels when I turn mine on!

I got some and the heat is unbelievable. Ive drilled a hole in each to try and keep the temp down. After 2 minutes you can drag your fingernail across the plastic and take a big hink of the plastic with it. Do you think they are dangerous?

bitingmidge
9th July 2006, 08:37 PM
Dangerous?

Not unless you drag your fingernail across them when they're hot! ;)

A couple of varieties have been recalled for various safety reasons, but generally they aren't a problem unless you knock them over into a puddle of thinners, or grab them by the hot bit, but that doesn't make them any more dangerous than most power things.

cheers,

P

Boatmik
9th July 2006, 08:58 PM
Howdy daddles,

I hope this stops the silly prattling by that Midge fellow - and if you can stop him ringing me too it would be a bonus.

Right - light box.

Most of them have a angled lid on top.

They can be quite generously sized to allow a variation of epoxy bottle sizes and heights. (and maybe enough room for a siamese cat)

Think about the orientation of the bottles vs the nozzles of the pump so you can get containers under the Knozzles when you open the hatch.

Keep the bottles around 150mm away from the globe which is mounted to the side of the whole shebang closest to the resin bottle. Switch is on outside of same side.

Globe is 40 or 60 watts - probably 25 watts would be fine too.

Don't get too carried away with nice finish - the interior is going to have an appearance of semi congealed epoxy after the first six months. And the outside will have a little of the same appearance.

And stick with the premium "high solids" epoxy systems - if you go for one of the solvent thinned el cheapo resins you will burn your house down. Unless it is rented.

(I know you won't use any such products - I am just thinking of someone looking on Google for "epoxy light box dovetail" - they will end up here as I am sure this is the only page on the net with the word dovetail associated with epoxy light box - and then blowing up their house, their family and their siamese cat).

MIK

STEPHEN MILLER
9th July 2006, 10:03 PM
Daddles
I use a heat pad that is supposed to be used for putting under seed trays for raising seedlings it heats 10 degrees above ambient temp at the time, cost $20 from a nursery it works a treat under epoxy. Also works well keeping homebrew at required temp this time of year as well so its hard work out which is its best use.:D

meerkat
10th July 2006, 03:26 PM
... and mount him on the foredeck, a bit like the Jaguar car mascot :rolleyes:

Not a kiwi are you ?:p;):eek::D

meerkat
10th July 2006, 03:27 PM
Also works well keeping homebrew at required temp this time of year as well so its hard work out which is its best use.:D
bugger heating the poxy, MORE BEER !!!:D:D

No seriously this heating pad sounds like a goer. Have you got any other details Stephen ?

Andrew

STEPHEN MILLER
14th July 2006, 06:23 PM
Meerkat
Sorry cant remember where I got it from which nursery. The things white plastic pad about 300 x 400mm 10mm high plugs straight into 240v power point has no adjustments on it waterproof, there is no brand on it. I saw an ad for Diggers garden club in Vic and they had one advertised an it was $80.00 same as mine but I have had mine for 12 years thats so thats about all I tell you:D

darrenyorston
22nd August 2006, 09:22 AM
Howdy daddles,

I hope this stops the silly prattling by that Midge fellow - and if you can stop him ringing me too it would be a bonus.

Right - light box.

Most of them have a angled lid on top.

They can be quite generously sized to allow a variation of epoxy bottle sizes and heights. (and maybe enough room for a siamese cat)

Think about the orientation of the bottles vs the nozzles of the pump so you can get containers under the Knozzles when you open the hatch.

Keep the bottles around 150mm away from the globe which is mounted to the side of the whole shebang closest to the resin bottle. Switch is on outside of same side.

Globe is 40 or 60 watts - probably 25 watts would be fine too.

Don't get too carried away with nice finish - the interior is going to have an appearance of semi congealed epoxy after the first six months. And the outside will have a little of the same appearance.

And stick with the premium "high solids" epoxy systems - if you go for one of the solvent thinned el cheapo resins you will burn your house down. Unless it is rented.

(I know you won't use any such products - I am just thinking of someone looking on Google for "epoxy light box dovetail" - they will end up here as I am sure this is the only page on the net with the word dovetail associated with epoxy light box - and then blowing up their house, their family and their siamese cat).

MIK

Fellas I think I have missed the point. What's the purpose of this light box? To store the two part epoxies in long term or a holder for mixed up product?

jmk89
22nd August 2006, 10:05 AM
The point of the light box is to keep resin and hardener viscous (pumpable) when you are working (ie it is short term storage while you are working). So it isn't for mixed poxy or for long term storage.

Daddles
22nd August 2006, 11:37 AM
The point of the light box is to keep resin and hardener viscous (pumpable) when you are working (ie it is short term storage while you are working). So it isn't for mixed poxy or for long term storage.
Wot 'e sed.

You don't store the stuff with the light on, just turn it on to warm it up before you use it. Once you've worked without a light box through a summer and a winter, you'll understand the benefit - it's soooo much nicer to use when slightly warmed, a bit like getting a massage with cold hands vs warm.

Richard

Boatmik
22nd August 2006, 01:20 PM
it's soooo much nicer to use when slightly warmed, a bit like getting a massage with cold hands vs warm.

Richard

MMMMMMMM - just rub a little bit more of that warmed epoxy in dear.

A little to the left

up a bit

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Ever thought of doing this professionally.

M.

Daddles
22nd August 2006, 01:59 PM
At this point, I would like to refer the gentle reader the comment under Mr Storer's username

Ashore
22nd August 2006, 02:40 PM
Know anyone with an old waterbed heater pad , they were adjustable as well :rolleyes:

Ramps
22nd August 2006, 04:08 PM
Meerkat
If you're still subscribed to this thread

The same type of heating unit can be purchased at the local home brew shop. I think I've seen them in BigW as well but that was years ago and I don't look very thoroughly around that part of the store very often now.

catbuilder
22nd August 2006, 08:01 PM
Gday

I made a light box using a plastic drench/chemical container, just drilled a hole in the top, turned the hammer onto the base of a bed lamp, fitted it into the top. I realise not everyone is a farmer, but if you know one, we usually have a good supply of these laying around. It does a very good job.

Matt

jmk89
22nd August 2006, 10:27 PM
I did a bit of googling and came up with the following warmer - is this what you were referring to , Ramps and Stephen?

http://www.winequip.com.au/Home+Brewing_Brewing+Accessories_Heaters.html

meerkat
23rd August 2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

I'm currently got a light bulb in a box. It's ok as long as I dont heat the harder up too much :) :o

onthebeachalone
23rd August 2006, 09:45 AM
I'm wondering if any Queenslanders use light boxes, or is it only those living in cooler climes? :cool:

I was under the impression that epoxy went off quicker at higher temperatures. In the summer I keep it in the frig, hoping it will give me more time to mix and apply.

Am I missing something here?