PDA

View Full Version : Steve Redmond's Whisp

Woodzzzy
10th July 2006, 11:03 AM
Hallo Folks,

Has anyone out there built a "Whisp"? There have been a couple of articles in the Amateur Boatbuilder mag about it. I bought the plans, they were drawn up in 1984, so I'm wondering if I can use epoxy glue instead of screws to fasten it all together...epoxies would have improved in the last 20 odd years wouldn't they?

Woodzzzy

Boatmik
10th July 2006, 11:43 AM
Hi Woodsey,

Back in the late '80s when I worked for Duck Flat we sold a dozen or so plans for Whisp - and one person who built the boat became a close friend at the time.

The building of the boat is in the long distant past now so I can't remember well enough just what the building process or plans were like - But I don't recall any serious problems.

The resulting boat was nice and light and very, very pretty.

My memory is that it may not have had any built in buoyancy - uncertain - so I would consider boxing in the seats to create it if using it as a sailing boat or going long distances with it as a rowing boat or if kids are involved. Simply extend the top of the bow seat to the stem and the stern seat to the transom and box in the fronts.

Also from memory (????) the stern seat was too far back so when a second person was aboard whisp sat very nose up - but I am even more uncertain of this than the above - you will be able to see from the plans.

Redmond was not a sailor so his sailing boats (at least the ones I knew in the flesh - Elver and whisp) were not particularly well thought through in sailiing terms - but someone who knows how a boat should be set up and rigged can make them perform adequately.

Whisp in particular has enough sail, lightness and a fast enough hullshape to be a serious boat for covering ground, but is hampered by her leeboard being way too small. Enough for pottering around in a bay. But she should have had performance somewhat like my Beth sailing canoe because of her weight length and sail area - but doesn't even get close - upwind she would do a quarter mile to Beth's mile if the wind was decent and the water not too rough. If the water was rough Whisp wouldn't sail upwind at all.

But this could be fixed. If sailing was important to you I would strongly suggest fitting a centreboard so that you would get the benefit of all the bits of the boat that are trying to go fast. A halfway point would be to bring the leeboard up to a more usual size.

I am not at all suggesting Beth as a subtitute - but I sailed alongside my friend in his Whisp lots of times in Wooden Boat Association events and just for fun so it is a good comparison.

Beth paddles like Whisp sails - like a three legged dog - just enough to get somewhere if it REALLY has to - so clearly doesn't answer your criteria.

Screws are not necessary at all. Not because the epoxies are better - but because there is such a track record of building boats without them now that it is pretty routine for many of us.

If you haven't seen it already - my faq gives some of the thinking about where you can leave them out (most places) but a couple of places where they are good.

Best Regards

Michael Storer

meerkat
10th July 2006, 03:36 PM
In 25 words or less Mik;), whats a whisp ?

Any boat ?

Andrew

onthebeachalone
10th July 2006, 05:04 PM
whats a whisp ?
Any boat ?
This is a Whisp!

jmk89
10th July 2006, 05:20 PM
On the basis that a picture is worth 1000 words, Onthebeachalone exceeded the 25 word limit by 976!:D

Maybe we should rate a picture as one word?

onthebeachalone
10th July 2006, 06:45 PM
Maybe we should rate a picture as one word? Alternatively, you could go the other way and count the pixels :p.

meerkat
10th July 2006, 08:34 PM
Nice piccie. it would be lovely completely varnished.

Alternatively, you could go the other way and count the pixels :p.
I'm in trouble then, once i've used up my toes thats it !!!:D:D

malcolm
11th July 2006, 11:29 AM
There is this if you have not found it - one persons building diary with lots of pics

http://www.geocities.com/bburk98406/index.html

I am one of those who bought plans in the 80's and haven't built it. One day.

Malcolm