PDA

View Full Version : Around the world in an 8ft boat - podcast

bitingmidge
10th July 2006, 05:21 PM
Some of you I know are aware of Eric Humphreys (http://www.captainhumphreys.com) intention to have a crack at sailing around the world in an Eleven Foot boat.

Eric has his own "Captain Nemesis" in the form of Harley Harlson, who has just about completed his eight footer in which he will shortly commence an attempted circumnavigation.

Harley has had a bit of exposure lately on Duckworks.com and now a couple of quite entertaining podcasts to be downloaded at http://www.furledsails.com

From what I've seen of him on various forums he's quite a clever bloke, contrary to the impression his intentions would give.

Worth a listen if you've got nothing else to do and an iPod, or you want to listen live on your office computer.

Cheers,

P

Groggy
10th July 2006, 05:50 PM
Great, another fool to rescue in the Great Southern Ocean. :rolleyes:

Gumby
10th July 2006, 06:08 PM
No Greg, he won't get that far. Drink, sail, Bloody idiot.

bitingmidge
10th July 2006, 06:12 PM
Great, another fool to rescue in the Great Southern Ocean. :rolleyes:

Like I said, despite impressions given, he's quite a clever bloke. I have no idea what his chances are, nor why he'd want to do it really, but he's thought about the whole deal as an exercise in self survival.

Listen and make up your own mind, or judge him by whatever high standards you have set for yourself.

He's pursuing his dream. I'm not making a call till he succeeds (wasn't he clever) or fails (stupid bastard).

What are you doing?

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

Daddles
10th July 2006, 07:17 PM
I'm not making a call till he succeeds (wasn't he clever) or fails (stupid bastard).

How about - 'the stupid bastard succeeded' :D

Richard
haven't checked it out yet. Will later, when I calm down from the latest excursion to the Family Fraud ... er ... court:mad:

Groggy
10th July 2006, 08:46 PM
What am I doing? You mean when not involved in rescuing these guys? (previous job).

Tell you what,

If he can get insurance to pay for the millions of dollars required to rescue him - I have no problem.

If he can't get insurance but is accompanied by another vessel riding shotgun - I have no problem.

If he can't get insurance, can't get someone to ride shotgun and is willing to leave his EPIRB at home - I have no problem.

If he goes out in the ocean in a walnut sized boat and gets into trouble, requiring the RAAF to launch multiple Orion or Hercules missions followed by redirected Naval vessels - I have a major problem. Going into a rescue sequence thousands of kilometers from an airfield, at low level, in typically bad weather is something the rescuers don't mind doing for those mariners who suffer genuine problems. When someone decides to "live their dream" they usually do so on a budget and sacrifice their judgement for luck.

I don't care if they do that, good on them, just don't allow others to be put at risk trying to extricate them from a situation of their own choosing.

bitingmidge
10th July 2006, 09:04 PM
If I may quote from the good Capt Nemesis himself on another forum:

As fer me, the secrecy is only to deny the U.S. Coast Guard fodder for declaring my voyage "Manifestly Unsafe" and issuing an order for me not to embark. They can take you off your vessel, leave it floundering, put you in prison and fine you $100,000.00 for disobeying their order.

Their reasoning is that it costs taxpayer money to rescue folks like us from their own folly.

I must say that I agree with that.

It is why I am not bringing an EPIRB on my voyage. I do not wish to be "rescued". I shall be self rescuing, thank you, USCG and failing that I will, as the captain of "Jester", Hasler put it, "Die like a gentleman."

As fer me, I'll keep my identity and certain details of my voyage quiet until I have left U.S. Territorial Waters.....

Did I say he seems to have thought of everything?

P
;)

Groggy
10th July 2006, 09:07 PM
If I may quote from the good Capt Nemesis himself on another forum:

Did I say he seems to have thought of everything?
I am glad to read that, hopefully, when he gets appendicitis mid ocean he'll stick to it. :rolleyes:

bitingmidge
10th July 2006, 09:08 PM
and just for fun, a note from Nemesis to Eric Humphreys:

Oh Captain, My Captain!

The problem you face is not that someone will copy you. To try to beat you by starting a project now might force someone to foolishly go to sea ill-prepared. I pray nobody does THAT! No. The problem you face is that of Parallel development, that someone has already been preparing such a voyage, and is building and testing his boat now and is prepared to set sail before you drive your first nail! That person already exists! It is I, Captain Nemesis! And comparing my Non-Stop Voyage around the world in an eight-foot boat to clenching a ping pong ball between my butt cheeks will not stop me!

Be Forwarned!

:D :D :D
P

bitingmidge
10th July 2006, 09:11 PM
I am glad to read that, hopefully, when he gets appendicitis mid ocean he'll stick to it. :rolleyes:

Another old post of his in response to someone suggesting he really should reconsider the EPIRB:

I disagree that an EPIRB can be considered a safety device.

It does nothing to provide safety. It jes hollers fer help.

Maritime law dictates that a rescue effort must be attempted if help is asked for.

No, the lack of an EPIRB can't be considered folly.

It is forcing others to risk their lives as well to save yer own sorry hide that is folly.

Cheers,

P (who doesn't go to sea without one!);)

Bodgy
10th July 2006, 09:12 PM
Good on him if he's truly doing it alone without calling on others (Oz taxpayers) to bail him out. I hope he makes it.

Just cast your mind back to that Pommie tosser who tried to cicumnavigate in the Southern latitudes alone, on a giant surfboard. When his keel fell off (surprise) us mugs have to send down a frigate to rescue him (for free), then he flogs his 'adventure' memoirs for a million quid. Then there's that French dyke, not rescued once, but three times!! Twice by the Frogs out of Tahiti and once by us. All freebies.

I've sailed on the Southern Ocean and its no place for a 8 or 10 ft boat, singlehanded.

dazzler
12th August 2006, 10:49 AM
I always have a chuckle when "Rescue types";

'Volunteer Rescue, Coastguard, Life Guards, Fire Brigade, Police Resuce et al'

Whinge about "having to save another idiot"

CAUSE YA LOVE IT!
:rolleyes:

The adrelin is up, heart is pumping and when its done the story is told and retold over a beer or 4

:p

bitingmidge
12th August 2006, 01:26 PM
I also smile at those that cry "waste of money" when aircraft, boats and rescue bods are doing the same stuff every day without anyone to recue, it's called "training" but that's not a waste of money.

Anyway "Nemesis" is due for sea trials in a couple of weekends, so we'll see if he even gets to float!

cheers,

P (Former Air-Sea Rescue co-ordinator, and Offshore regatta safety officer)
:cool:

Boatmik
12th August 2006, 04:59 PM
P (Former Air-Sea Rescue co-ordinator, and Offshore regatta safety officer)
:cool:

Midge,

I am starting to think that you will make anything up if it helps you win the arguement.

:-)

ernknot
12th August 2006, 05:46 PM
Should rename him Capt. Richard Cranium.

bitofascallywag
20th August 2006, 11:56 PM
now come on fellows.....good on him i would say.....you lot are begginning to sound like that mob that swore and declared that the world was flat....come on ,toughen up,if a man/woman will put their life on the line for an idea is a bloody good thing in my book and stuff the expense...i mean to say what i wonder is alexanders cost for value?????what at the worst shall happen................he will go turtle and cost money......think the big picture.........human endevaour,will,and never forget the will to win and that will is good if you have your gonads on the line.............what did the uk do to silly branston when they balloned.....good on em.......whingeing pack of b[steds.........toughen up and open your shutters over your minds a little....