PDA

View Full Version : 30 Years of Treeplanting

Bob Whitworth
10th July 2006, 09:05 PM
May I invite anyone interested to have a look at my web site to see how my cleared and seriously degraded farm has been transformed by my tree planting efforts over the last 30 years. Mosly I have planted hoop pine but I've also planted a few eucalyptus as well, mosstly Gympie messmate. I have also planted some Queensland maple and look after the natural regeneration of red cedar and silver ash. Most of my red cedar is quite small but I estimate that it is growing at about 10 cubic metres a year. The hoop pine needs thinning but I can't do this until I get some money to buy a suitable sawmill for pine thinnings. It doesn't really matter as hoop pine can handle a high standing volume and just keeps growing. At the moment I don't really have an opinion as to which types of trees are the best to grow, that is, hoop pine, rainforest timbers or eucalyptus. We will just see which ones grow well enough and I can sell for a profit. www.forest.spiderweb.com.au Thanks

Clinton1
10th July 2006, 09:13 PM
Good stuff Bob... I saw your website a year or so ago and was hoping I'd find it again.

I'd be interested in coming up to see your block sometime, any chance of an "open day"?

Harry II
10th July 2006, 09:24 PM
Bob Whitworth for PM!

Harry72
11th July 2006, 01:28 AM
Its a good thing your doing there Bob.

Carry Pine
11th July 2006, 09:10 AM
There should be more of this bloke on our properties.

Carry Pine

RufflyRustic
11th July 2006, 05:46 PM
Bob - great website! Very curious and interesting.

However, I love how you have rejuvenated your farm. Have you noticed the trees you've planted attracting more rain by any chance?

Thanks for sharing the site.

Cheers
Wendy

Auld Bassoon
11th July 2006, 07:55 PM
Grand job Bob! A good portion of a lifetime's caring for the land, and the difference certainly shows. Wonderful stuff.

Andy Mac
11th July 2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Bob.:) I found it very inspiring, so I shall go up to my puny 2yr old seedlings and give them a good talking to!
Reading through your comments about Euc's in what amounts to a rainforest habitat, have you tried Brush Box (Tristania conferta or whatever its called now)? Seems like the Eucalypt's rainforest cousin...some nice stands of it around the hills in northern NSW.

Regards,