PDA

View Full Version : Is This True?

Metal Head
10th July 2006, 10:28 PM
Hi,

This arvo I had a licenced electrician come to our house to give me a quote on some electrical work we need doing. In our bathroom we have an extractor fan in the ceiling directly over the shower area - btw this is operated via the light switch. However, the sparkie said this is illegal given that it operates off 240V. Instead he would have to install a low voltage one - 12V. Given that I've seen this set up in recently built homes I thought he might be trying to pull a fast one on me.

Is this true? - I live in Melbourne.

Thank you to those who reply.

Regards
David

Pulse
10th July 2006, 10:41 PM
David,
Yes this is illegal and good on him for pointing it out. 240 volt fitting are not permitted above the shower area up to 2.5m (ie higher than most ceilings). In NZ it is 2.25m. You could have it just outside the enclosure though.

Cheers
Pulse

Markw
11th July 2006, 02:35 PM
David
Cut a new hole for the existing fan at least 2.5m from the shower head. Keep the piece of gyprock and use it to fill in the hole from the original site.

I don't believe the sparky can demand to do the work.
1. Extractor fans are nearly all fitted with a plug lead therefore you have the right to change the fitting or site of the fitting. You can't change where the socket is located in the ceiling.

2. If the sparky sees a problem, he is required to advise of the said problem but cannot demand to do the work. That would be unethical and generally leads to intimidation and rorting.

3. Whilst you have been advised of the problem, it is up to you to decide whether to have it fixed but should note there may be implications with houshold insurance and any percieved or real risk regarding the proximtry to the shower head.

Don't let someone force you into a decision - unless they are duly authorised by the local energy authority or the ministry of energy (or what ever you call it in mexico)they have no right or power of enforcement. In saying this - always listen to advice. If you believe he is intimidating you check with your version of the Deptmant of Fair Trading.

Sturdee
11th July 2006, 03:27 PM
3. Whilst you have been advised of the problem, it is up to you to decide whether to have it fixed .

Whilst that may be true it is not the whole story.

An electrician, similar to plumbers, have to issue a certificate of compliance for any work done. A copy of this certificate is forwarded to the Office of Electrical Safety who inspect and check about 20 % of all certificates lodged and a higher percentage of work of certain electricians. Mainly new ones or bad boys. :D

So if that electrician does the work but leaves certain illegal items in place and his work is inspected he could be in major trouble. Usually when an inspector checks the work done he will also check all the house wiring.

Depending on the nature and his interpretation of the danger the illegal works pose that inspector will place a defect notice on your property giving you either seven days to get it fixed or immediately disconnect the supply which will not be reconnected until everthing is brought up to scratch and inspected.

So whilst it doesn't have to be that electrician it will have to be fixed.

Peter.

journeyman Mick
11th July 2006, 06:56 PM
Like the others have said it's true, and what's more if you have one of those shower heads on a length of hose then the allowable distance is measured from the end of the hemispere that's described by the shower at full reach. Meaning that if you have one you probably can't legally have any 240V switches, lights fans etc anywhere in your bathroom.

Mick

Metal Head
11th July 2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks to Pulse, Peter, Mark & Mick for your informative replies, much appreciated;). However, this situation could open a can of worms in that if for some reason we had the misfortune to have a fire in our bathroom and it was found to be a fault with the fan (240V) could the insurance company renege on paying out as it could be deemed as illegal work?. If that was the case, given that it was done prior to us buying the house 9 years ago would we get paid for the damage?.

We had got the electrician in originally to install a 3 type (heat, light & exhaust) unit in the middle of the bathroom which he said he could still do but it have to run off a new switch as it would be illegal for him to use the existing switch knowing it was still connected to the "illegal" exhaust unit that seems to make commonsense. I think I will get him to do that and if the new system extracts the water vapour away easier enough I will do away with the "illegal" exhaust fan.

Regards
David

Sturdee
11th July 2006, 11:11 PM
We had got the electrician in originally to install a 3 type (heat, light & exhaust) unit in the middle of the bathroom which he said he could still do but it have to run off a new switch as it would be illegal for him to use the existing switch knowing it was still connected to the "illegal" exhaust unit that seems to make commonsense.

David,

He would have to install a new switch and wiring anyway as the switch should be able to independantly control the heat, light and exhaust fan. Normally a unit like that is sufficient for a bathroom to extract all the steam.

Peter.

Terrian
13th July 2006, 09:35 PM
Like the others have said it's true, and what's more if you have one of those shower heads on a length of hose then the allowable distance is measured from the end of the hemispere that's described by the shower at full reach. Meaning that if you have one you probably can't legally have any 240V switches, lights fans etc anywhere in your bathroom.

Mick

bugger, that means the light switch, ceiling fan & power pint in my house (built in '63) all have to be removed to be legal (small bathroom, about 2m x 3m)

I would have to think that there would be cut off dates somewhere there as the light switch & power point are certainly in thier origianl positions, as is the shower. And the origianl shower head was less than 2.5m from the light switch (about 1.5m) and the power point (about 2m)

spartan
16th July 2006, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't be so worried about the insurance part of the issue.
The standard is the way it is for safety's sake - say for whatever reason the fan falls on you whilst you are in the shower.:mad:

I think the insurance issue is over stated - for example insurance companies pay out all the time to people who overload powerboards with bar and fan heaters - get intoxicated and negligantly knock them over and start fires.

I'd be more worried about the safety implications first - and having noted it as MarkW suggests its pretty easy to rectify to make it safe, legal and then the insurance point becomes mute.