PDA

View Full Version : Domino Noise level

warmtone
11th July 2006, 10:30 PM
To those who have already made the plunge so to speak how noisy is the beast? I notced in the Festool handbook download a spec which indicated the Domino is far from quiet at 95DBA. Noise level is conveniently not mentioned in the glossy.

Some Festool products are fairly quiet - my OF 1400 for example is a real smoothy and fairly quiet for a router as is most Festool orbital sanders.

Is the noise level of the Domino passable (with earmuffs)??

Also balance and vibration (noise apart) is this OK?

And yes I am close to upgrading the porter cable biscuit joiner (!)

Just thought I'd complete my due diligence at this price point.

Carpenter
11th July 2006, 10:53 PM
Warmtone,

the noise is not a problem. Personally I have made it a habit to use those "earband" style of hearing protection that live around the neck ready for use. Because they are always there, I always use them & this is their advantage over earmuffs. What I'm saying in a roundabout way is that if you use hearing protection (as we all should) the noise is not an issue. The balance & vibes are fine, just let the tool cut at its own speed & you cant go wrong. Its not a giant piece of gear & is designed to be used with two hands, so you'll be a master in no time. Just remember, when you do use it for the first time, the hand you use for the rear grip also operates the trigger, & this is best done with the index finger pointing towards the front of Domi & resting on the trigger. If you dont use this style of grip, your fingers can get in the way of the dust extraction port as you plunge. (I'm talking from the perspective of a righty, lefty's may have no problem)

Groggy
11th July 2006, 11:04 PM
Lignum says it is quiet (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=314517&postcount=12), but maybe he's deaf. :D:D:D Have a read of the entire thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=32574).

Lignum
11th July 2006, 11:43 PM
Geeeze Groggy, you got me worried now:confused: Maybe industrial deafness is clickin in:(

I dont find it noisy at all. Just before i went and turned on both the 12" Jet thicknesser and Domi (on top of it) and compared both running at the same time. The Jet was heaps noisier. Ten being the loudest (the Jet) Domi would be around five or six. I done the same with the Makita 10" scms and it was about the same.

Vibration is unusual. The first day its weird. Because its unique nothing else feels like it. Now it dosnt even register. Its actualy rather nice:o

Ballance is perfect. I love the heafty weight. Some have complained, but i like the fact it sits on the work peice and plunges accuratly and dosnt move.

E-Bay the old Porta cable and get Dominatrixed;)

TassieKiwi
12th July 2006, 10:44 AM
The noise from the vacumm is louder than the machine.

warmtone
12th July 2006, 02:03 PM
Guys, thanks for your encouragement. The main thing for me is that the Domino is well balanced, accurate and does not move around. And it appears that noise level is not an issue ..........

I always wandered why Festool didn't make a great Biscuit Joiner - when I was in the market about 2 years ago. Clearly they weren't happy with following a standard design that has significant limitations........

I've no doubt the engineering design effort that has gone into new superb Festool Routers and the much loved Rotex has been leveraged to provide us with a very unique product.

All I need to do now is figure out how I bankroll fifteen hundered bucks or so to get going!

TassieKiwi
12th July 2006, 02:54 PM
Guys, thanks for your encouragement. The main thing for me is that the Domino is well balanced, accurate and does not move around. And it appears that noise level is not an issue ..........

I always wandered why Festool didn't make a great Biscuit Joiner - when I was in the market about 2 years ago. Clearly they weren't happy with following a standard design that has significant limitations........

I've no doubt the engineering design effort that has gone into new superb Festool Routers and the much loved Rotex has been leveraged to provide us with a very unique product.

All I need to do now is figure out how I bankroll fifteen hundered bucks or so to get going!

I have a plan for ya - just do it!

Den

Lignum
12th July 2006, 03:39 PM
Den`s right. Just get it anyway you can and worry about the $$$$ later. The machine with 5mm cutter is 1200. Sell your old bisc jointer for 150, theirs only 1050 left you need to get it. After youv had it a few days the money loss from the bank wont even be an issue. Ive had mine for about six weeks now and i dont even think about how much it cost. That money would have been spent on other things anyway, but atleast i have something special in the workshop now that i didnt have back then:)

warmtone
12th July 2006, 11:53 PM
Guys, Looks like I've joined the Domino Club and I managed to pick up the Fes "stool" kit as a little starter project.

After about 5 minutes 4 perfect dowel joints and half the stool assembled....... OK the so the wood was precision cut to size..... so bloody accurate you wouldn't believe it!

But the Domino is quite remarkable in terms of precision and ease of use.
Noise and vibration very acceptable.

10/10 as usual(!)

I'm very happy with my purchase!

patr
13th July 2006, 01:13 AM
Warmtone

Croeso/Welcome to another member of DAC!

Dont give the purchase price a second thought. The graveyards around here are full of people with loads of money in the Bank. Spend it all and save an ungrateful bunch of squabbling bastards from quarreling over your will!

Regards
Pat

Lignum
13th July 2006, 01:17 AM
:D :D :D Welcome to the Brotherhood:D :D :D Dont forget to post pics over here http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=29917&page=13

Isnt the accuracy just amazing. It still blows me away after 6 weeks of solid use:D :D :D

TassieKiwi
13th July 2006, 04:34 PM
Welcome Brother Warmtone.