PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Cabinet WIP

Ticky
11th July 2006, 10:55 PM
The theme for this project was to do as much as possible without spending any money. All of the pine has come from building site off cut bins (With Permission)

Pic 1 shows some of the stock cut to width & thickness on the Table saw & the top & bottom rails cut to length.

Pic2 is my Tennoning jig I made a couple of weeks ago. I'm gonna have a go at M&T joints soon.

Pic 3 & 4 show the Legs. There are 12 piecse to make 6 legs. The legs have 1/2 a tennon cut into each piece & the Rails will sit into these kinda like a bridal joint. There is probably a name for this, but I don't know what it is. Anyway, it was the first time my tennoning jig saw action.

Steve

Lignum
11th July 2006, 11:54 PM
Good stuff Steve:) Tell me, what brand is that saw? it looks interesting

Ticky
12th July 2006, 12:50 AM
Lig, It's a LEDA 10LB. It has a sliding table that I keep fully extended when using my crosscut sled. I have had it for a while now & I swear by it.

The pic shows that I have a place for everything, & nothing is in it's place.

As you can see, I have infilled the space between the front & rear fence rails, but this is un-supported. This it part of the reason for this project. Mobility is the other part. The wheels I have work just fine, but to raise or lower the wheels, I have to bend down & use the air Rattle gun. Bending is a problem for me, so with the new cabinet, I will also have foot operated wheel brakes & the saw will remain on the wheels.

coedcae
12th July 2006, 03:16 PM
The pic shows that I have a place for everything, & nothing is in it's place.

A man after my own heart, I have the very same problem.:D :D

Peter

TassieKiwi
12th July 2006, 03:19 PM
That's not a mess, just a multi-function saw!

Harry72
12th July 2006, 09:29 PM
Will the cabinet contain the thicknesser?

zenwood
13th July 2006, 03:04 AM
Looking forward to seeing how those 1/2 tenon bridle joints work. They look interesting...

Ticky
13th July 2006, 01:02 PM
Will the cabinet contain the thicknesser?

G'day Harry,

The thicknesser is not directly connected with this project, but the old leg assembly off the table saw will be the new thicknesser platform.

Steve

Ticky
13th July 2006, 01:20 PM
Zenwood, I have attached a couple of pics of the joint in question. Maybe you or somebody else can tell me the correct name for this joint, or should I just stick to "half tenon bridal joint thingy"

Pic1 is the 12 pieces that make up the 6 legs. This was a 2 step operation using the tenoning jig for the first operation & then lowering the blade & cross cutting to remove the cheek.

Pic 2 shows the layout of the front or back frame. The 2 frames will be identicle & there will be 4 stretchers top & 4 bottom between them. The intermediate leg & the far end leg are positiones to support the weight of the table saw, not in the centre of the frame.

Steve

silentC
13th July 2006, 01:39 PM
They are bridle joints. The only difference from the normal arrangement is that your stiles (legs) are thicker than the rails. You lose some of the strength of a bridle joint there because you don't have the tenon shoulders to lock against the sides of the joint. Technically, the one in the middle is a 'T' bridle.

Ticky
14th July 2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks Silent C, Bridal joints, I was sort of 1/2 right, more or less...:confused:

I have cut the stretchers to length & built a simple jig to drill both end of all 8 stretchers exactly the same.

Pic 1 shows a stretcher in the drilling jig.

Pic 2 is of the drilling jig only

pic 3. All 8 stretchers are finished & ready. Now I need to build the front & rear frames.

Steve

zenwood
14th July 2006, 02:23 AM
Hmm: an auger bit in a drill press: doesn't the bit tend to screw itself into the wood and become hard to control?

BobL
14th July 2006, 09:54 AM
Hmm: an auger bit in a drill press: doesn't the bit tend to screw itself into the wood and become hard to control?

I'm following your project with some interest Tikky - it looks like fun.

I hope that RHS clamp is on tight! I can just see the bit grabbing that bit of timber and whacking you in the bread basket. I'd at least have that bit of timber pointing the other way so that if it came loose it would hit the press post first.

Ticky
14th July 2006, 10:09 AM

Zenwood,
You will note in pic 1 above, the clamp holding the stretcher down. This is a must, otherwise, yes, it is too hard to control. I would also like to add that I have not tried this with any hard wood, but I am guessing that may produce a greater problem.

With pine being so soft, & the travel on my drill press set so the screw just cuts through the other side, I was able to drill, flip & drill very quick & easy. The short amount of time required to make the jig was time well spent. Naturally, the drill press is set to it's slowest speed.

Steve

Ticky
14th July 2006, 10:23 AM
Bob,

Thank you for your interest, & Yes, it is good fun. It is not going to be a master piece, but it will improve my shed & I need all the practice I can get.

I have a frame nearly ready for dry fitting so I may post a few more pics later today.

Steve

Ticky
14th July 2006, 11:58 PM
The first frame is dry fitted. No work tomorrow, I'm off the ww show.

Once I get the second frame to the same stage, I will disassemble them, glue & re-assemble. I am pretty happy with the results so far, The fist frame is rock solid even without glue.

The legs look a little chunky, but they have to carry a fair bit of weight. I'm no engineer, but I would rather it be over built than under built. Besides, Once finished, I think it will match the style of my bench, which also has chunky legs.

couple more pics.

Steve

Ticky
18th July 2006, 10:07 PM
The second frame is now assembled & the bottom stretchers are set in place to get a few lines marked for drilling.

The next step is to pull it all apart, glue & re-assemble.

I bought a little roller to quickly spread the glue. I haven't tried this method before, but I have seen it on the telly so I thought I would give it a go.

Steve

Jill
19th July 2006, 10:11 AM
Great workbench on the go, Steve! My fav' joints, too. I'll check back to see the finish!

I keep a kid's paint brush (about 1.5 cm wide) for spreading glue, a bottle of water to drop it in when I finish, and a rag to squeeze out the water when I go to use it next, and it works for me - fast and good control - & great for getting into M & T joints, too. Maybe loads of people use similar?

Cheers,

Jill

silentC
19th July 2006, 10:21 AM
Maybe loads of people use similar
Yes, I use one of those long handled kid's art brushes. Picked a few up for 50 cents each at a market. The bottle of water is a good idea. I usually clean them out after use but have ruined a few when I've put them down on the bench and forgotten about them. :o

zenwood
19th July 2006, 10:36 AM
That frame should be good for at least a couple of tons. Looking good so far.

Maybe loads of people use similar? I usually use a MkI finger: I can spread the glue to a nice thin film with juuuust a wee bit of squeeze out. For fiddly bits smaller than a finger I use an icecream stick cut to an appropriate shape. For large surfaces I use a tongue depressor (bought a pack years ago from LV and still going strong) like a butter knife and spread the glue around. I like being able to chuck the glue spreader in the bin and not have to worry about cleaning it. Except if the spreader is my finger: I don't chuck that in the bin, I wipe it on a paper towel. Only time I've used a brush for glue is with dovetails.

silentC
19th July 2006, 10:41 AM
Reason I like a long handled brush is it's easy to dip the brush into a 1 litre glue pot. Otherwise you have to tip the pot up and wait for the glue to run out the nozzle every time, which seems to take longer as the pot nears empty :confused: ;)

Also, when I was a MkI finger user, no matter how careful I was, I always managed to get a glue-impregnated fingerprint somewhere that I didn't want it. :o

Ticky
20th July 2006, 02:01 AM
Hi Jill,
Thanks mate, the joints are very simple to make & I think good for this application. Not saying that a M&T would not be better, but that would require more skill or more confidence in my skills than I have... Not sure which.

I am happy with the results so far. The frames have pulled up very square, & the dowels, originaly put in place for quick relocation during glue up, will add a certain amount of strength to the joint I think.

Jill, Silent C & Zenwood,

Thanks for the tips on glue application. I usually a Mayo bottle with a twist type lid, & the Mk1 finger. I decided to try the roller this time because I thought I would lay all 6 pieces of the leg assemblies for 1 frame together. By laying them on their backs, I think I should be able to quickly apply glue to the the faces & the open bridals & sholders. Then I think I will start the screws in the faces, but leave them loose. Insert the rails & glue & locate the dowels & then tighten down the 3 screws in each leg. Once I check the diagnals & adjust if required, I will glue some short dowels into the screw holes. Once dry, I will trim the dowels & give each fram a quick sand. Thats my plan anyway, but if you have a better idea, I'll welcome it.

Zen. Couple of ton hey, yeh, I do tend to over build things, I am always a bit worried that it will be not quite strong enough. Still, my saw often has 1/2 ton of crap on it that should not be there.

Thanks for your comments, all welcome.

Here are a couple of pics of Molly. 8 weeks old & we got her today, so no work today.

Steve

Ticky
22nd July 2006, 05:58 PM
Well, the glueup on the first frame did not go as well as I had hoped. It will be alright in the end I think, but with the pine being so soft, the screws didn't pull the joint quite as tight as I thought they might. Maybe I didn't leave enough room for glue in the joint, I don't know. Any way, a few clamps & she'll be apples.

For the second frame, I decided to glue & screw the leg pairs together first, then when dry, I will insert the rails. I can rework the rails if needed.

Tip On Using Roller For Spreading Glue... throw the thing in the bin & go back to getting your fingers dirty.

Anyway, frame 1 is glued, screwed, dowels are trimed & is resting under some clamps. Frame 2 , the leg pairs are glued & waiting until tomorrow for completion.

Not what I had planned for today's stint in the shed, but thats the way it goes sometimes.

Steve

Redgy
22nd July 2006, 07:53 PM
Coming along nicely Ticky. Nice looking pooch too, we just got one also this week, a beagle, not quite a placid as yours.

For glue I mainly use a hacksaw blade for speading it around or the cheap paint brushes as mentioned.

Auld Bassoon
22nd July 2006, 08:05 PM
Hi Steve,

Your new house guest is a little cutie :)

I also use Mk I finger except for laminates or veneers, then I use a comber scraper.

Ticky
26th July 2006, 01:40 AM
G'day Reg,
Q1. How the new puppy settling in?
Q2. Hows the new Bandsaw going? Still think my decision was correct for me, but I was really looking forward to having mine by now.

Steve B.
Yeh mate, Molly is a cutie, but she will probably grow out of it. She is off to school tomorrow for Show & Tell, my daughter is 8yo so I imagine Molly will be oood & arrrd for the session & then come home for a well deserved nap.

I spent about 2 1/2 mins making a rough as guts glue spreader out of a bit of 3ply with some saw cuts in it. Works a treat.

Still havent got back to the project but My Brother, My Dad & I all meet up here for a woodwork day every 4 weeks, so if nothing happens before Thursday, I'll get to it then. I decided a couple of months ago that if you can't find time to do the things you love, then you have to make time to do them, so even if I don't get any other time, I now have 1 full day every 4 weeks for woodwork.

works for me

Steve

Redgy
26th July 2006, 12:02 PM
G'day Reg,
Q1. How the new puppy settling in?
Q2. Hows the new Bandsaw going? Still think my decision was correct for me, but I was really looking forward to having mine by now.

The pup is going fine although with the kids back at school this week I think it's a bit lonely during the day, is chewing everything :eek:

The bandsaw hasn't done much yet apart from playing around a bit. When I get this load of timber from Lismore in my shed tomorow I'm sure it will be humming away soon :D. Still haven't seen the handle from carbatec yet for the cabinet, another phone call coming up.

Reg

Ticky
30th July 2006, 12:40 AM
I got the second frame finished & the stretchers installed.

The second frame went together better & easier than the first, so next time I will join the leg pairs together first. We live & learn...

I have installed the stretchers by drilling a clearance hole through the rail & into the end of the stretcher to the 19mm hole that I had previously bored through the stretcher. Then I inserted a 19mm hardwood dowel onto the stretcher & marked it using the coach bolt. After drilling 2 x 5mm holes in the dowels, I reinstalled the dowels & bolted the stretchers in between the frames. This is all done dry, as I cant see a lot of value in a end grain to long grain glued Butt joint. (See pic 1)

I have never done anything like this before, but I remember reading about it some time ago. Maybe someone can tell me the name of this type of joint or method.

I am pretty happy with the result so far, it is within a couple of mm of square over all. Perfect would be better, but this is the best I can do for now.

Pic 2 & 3. Ready to start making the cupboards etc.
Pic 4 The Master & his apprentice

Ticky
4th August 2006, 11:55 AM
The small cavity was always going to be a drawer to collect sawdust & eventually, will be hooked to a dusty, but the larger cavity was going to be a cupboard. I have since decided to make that a very large drawer on runners, as I had a pair of heavy duty runners sitting in the shed.

I decide to make the drawer out of MDF (I can hear the screams from here) as MDF is stable, flat, & I have enought in the shed to do the job. I am going to put a false front on the drawer to hide the MDF. I thought I would use my Lockmitre bit to make the joints, but it is a bitch to set up. Getting it nearlly right is a piece of cake, but getting it spot on is a bit of a trick. My problem is, I am not sure if I need to adjust the height or the depth, & evry thing I do seems to make it worse.

I'll have another go this arvo

Steve

Ticky
11th August 2006, 12:30 AM
Change of heart, I did a couple of test joints using a lock mitre joint on MDF, & was not happy with the strength of the MDF lip. It may have been strong enough once glued up, but this drawer is going to have a bit of weight in it, so I decided make it out of 290 x 19 pine.

The joints are not as perfect as I would have liked them, but they won't really be seen all that much & I have spent way too long on playing with the lock mitre setup. I will have to revisit this again one day, but I currently have 3 woodwork projects on the go & 2 more on the, waiting to start list and I have limited time in the shed, so time to move on.

Before I glue up the drawers, I still need to rout a rebate for the bottoms, & trim down to the correct height. Maybe I can squeese in a 1/2 hour or so tomorrow.

Steve

Ticky
15th August 2006, 11:27 PM
The drawers are glued up. I wanted a pretty snug fit, but I made them a bit too snug. Nothing the Belt Sander won't fix as soon as I get time to rip a bit off the sides. I had one of those weekends where I had passion fingers. Everything I touched, I ****ed up. Spent all day Sunday working on the Vanity Unit in the Bathroom, my back still has an "S Bend" in it, no woodwork got done & to top it off, I finished up calling a plumber on Monday anyway.

Lesson: If the bathroom is flooding, call a plumber & head out to the shed to forget about you troubles.

Steve

Ticky
21st August 2006, 01:06 AM
The Drawers are complete apart from the false fronts. I used my lockmitre bit for the joints & am happy with the result given the project. I have not by any means mastered the setup process for this router bit, but it appears to be a strong joint and good for drawers I think.

The first picture shows the Sawdust Drawer which will sit directly under the Table Saw. The second pic shows the tool drawer fully opened.
& finally, the last pic is of the front.

Hope you like it so far.

Steve

Ticky
11th September 2006, 11:14 AM
Stage 1 of my cabinet is nearly complete. I have clad the out side, made & installed a divider to keep the sawdust out of the big draw, made the handles & Installed & Trimmed the top. The wheels are attached & the hole for the sawdust to drop through is cut. I have given it a couple of coats of oil & it is nearlly ready to sit the saw on top & bolt it down.

Pretty happy so far.

Steve

Harry72
11th September 2006, 10:42 PM
The saw sits to one side does it?

Ticky
12th September 2006, 12:29 AM
Harry,

Yeh, The extension will be supported by a couple of drawers allowing plenty of room for the blade tilt adjuster. One of the reasons I built this was to support the extension. Mobility & extra storage came into it as well, & I am hoping that a large % of the sawdust will end up in the drawer, as I still don't have a dusty & a 17" bandsaw is next on the list so a dusty is a way off yet

I have attached it with coach bolts & I am very happy with the outcome. It is very easy to move around & when the wheels are locked, it's solid. The wheel lock, locks both the wheel & the swivel.

Steve

Redgy
12th September 2006, 12:28 PM
Good job Ticky, great portability for the saw. I see your little helper is almost a permanent resident in the workshop too.

Reg

Jill
13th September 2006, 11:05 AM
Great job on this, Steve! Those wheels make it even more practical, too.

Cheers,

Jill

Ticky
13th September 2006, 02:13 PM
Good job Ticky, great portability for the saw. I see your little helper is almost a permanent resident in the workshop too.

Reg

G'day Reg, Yeh mate, Molly is like sawdust, she is soft to walk on & always under my feet. On the upside, she is also a great help. When she goes off for a well deserved nap, that's a big help. Hows your pup settling in. Have you given that bandsaw a workout yet.

Great job on this, Steve! Those wheels make it even more practical, too. Jill

Thanks Jill, I am happy with the outcome. SWMBO is of the opinion that my work area is her entertaining area. I can sort of understand that, because every 4 weeks, my Dad & Brother come down for a very entertaining woodwork day. Any way, the plan is to have most of the machinery mobile so I can leave it in the shed & wheel it out as I need it. The shed is big enough, if there is a shed thats big enough, but I prefer to work under the carport which is very light, potbelly mistake rectifier for the winter & roll up clear blinds for the summer.

Hows the house going.

Steve

Cheers,

Dust Mite
13th September 2006, 10:09 PM
Nice work Ticky.

The mobility is very handy too. I bet its a heavy sod. Mine is and you have the same saw as I do with the exception that mine has a fixed left wing compared to your slide table.

With my cabinet and saw and drawers full the whole thing comes in around 150kgs so its a bit of a shove to get it moving. You appear to have the same wheels as me as well. I asume you are able to lock them at 5 degree points and they are an easy toe kick design too.

Just dont do what I did. Miss kick the release with on a pair of sandals on me feet. Turned my big toe black and the air in the shed as well :eek: :D

Redgy
13th September 2006, 10:36 PM
Hows your pup settling in. Have you given that bandsaw a workout yet.

The pup is going good now he's finished chewing everything & digging up the backyard, he'll settle even more in a few weeks after the big snip :D

The bandsaw is getting used more & more although I sorta keep forgetting I've got it and constantly go DOH! that would've been easier on the BS than the TS :o
Hmmm, minor dog surgery on the BS :confused: :eek:

Reg

Ticky
14th September 2006, 10:05 AM
Nice work Ticky.

The mobility is very handy too. I bet its a heavy sod. Mine is and you have the same saw as I do with the exception that mine has a fixed left wing compared to your slide table.

With my cabinet and saw and drawers full the whole thing comes in around 150kgs so its a bit of a shove to get it moving. You appear to have the same wheels as me as well. I asume you are able to lock them at 5 degree points and they are an easy toe kick design too.

Just dont do what I did. Miss kick the release with on a pair of sandals on me feet. Turned my big toe black and the air in the shed as well :eek: :D

Hi Dusty, Not sure of the overall weight, but but it is fairly easy to move. Having said that, it is also unusually clean at the moment as well without what seems to be a manditory 1/2 ton of stuff that shoudn't be there on it. The wheels sound the same or similar, & thats good advice about the sandals.

Do you have any pics of you setup, I wouldn't mind seeing what others have done along a similar line.

Ticky
14th September 2006, 10:09 AM
Hmmm, minor dog surgery on the BS :confused: :eek:

Reg

Might need a scroll saw for that job mate

Steve

keith53
14th September 2006, 11:51 AM
Nice work Steve. A really good addition to your workshop.

Cheers,
Keith

Ticky
15th September 2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks Keith.

Steve