PDA

View Full Version : First Project

robatman
12th July 2006, 12:24 PM
Here is a Ring stand- my first turning project. i did have a practice doing a few cuts on another piece but after 5 minutes thought i'd jump right in!!

Not sure of the type of wood- its just from an offcut from a tree in our backyard. I think it may be from a fig tree which fell over 6 months ago. I was surprised to see it has some spalted? sections- similar to sassie. finished with UBeaut Trad wax.

Had a few catches and the piece flung out of those 4 jaw GMC chuck a few times. It's near on impossible to get the same axis when remounting with independant jaws!!!

(thanks to those who helped with choice of chisels from another post)

Robert

RufflyRustic
12th July 2006, 12:36 PM
Nice one Robert! Congrats on jumping in and having a go.

There's no stopping now for you I hope. Is wood turning as addicitive as I've heard?

cheers
Wendy

Auzzie turner
12th July 2006, 12:43 PM
Is wood turning as addicitive as I've heard?

Yup:D

Hickory
12th July 2006, 01:02 PM
Although there is room for improvement, for a first project that is a Jim Dandy.. Way to go. Most first turnings look like a lumpy stick. You done good.. Few of us can show better for a beginner project.

Is it addictive? Heck no. "I can quit any time I want to" Easier to quit smokin'

Terry B
12th July 2006, 01:09 PM
Nice result from a bit of scrap timber- the best kind of timber!
Keep at it.

ss_11000
12th July 2006, 01:28 PM
great first peice, out of curiosity, what grit did you sand up to?

lubbing5cherubs
12th July 2006, 01:29 PM
Great job for the first project. NIce effort keep it up but watch those flyout sound scary
Toni

robatman
12th July 2006, 03:26 PM
SS 11000, i sanded 120 then 280, but i didnt do it too long as my latest rechucking was quite off centre and didnt want the thing to break loose again!! the finish off the chisels- used mainly a 22m gouge and 13mm gouge, wasnt too bad but i'm sure this will improve with practice.

yes it is addictive- maybe because it is so quick!! even for a beginner.
I have a jewelery box i've been working on for months and still not finished- damn those hand cut dovetails. The box has gotten smaller once already!
robert

Auzzie turner
12th July 2006, 03:44 PM
A bit more sanding needed, I go up to 2500 grit to get that mirror finish. And maybe a few beads/coves where the handle meets the body. Thw darker on the wood is not spalted, it is sapwood.

Good job for first go,

Regards..............Joash

Tassie Boy
12th July 2006, 08:10 PM
Nice first project robatman...
nice timber too..

cheers

Caveman
13th July 2006, 01:11 AM
Hey Robert, good work - looks real nice.
Good finish for a fig tree - normally pretty soft wood. Also susceptible to spalting as you say - don't recall fig having lighter/darker sapwood/heartwood.

rodent
13th July 2006, 04:55 AM
Damn good for a first .your catches are probably on the wings of the chisel ,try rolling the tool as you godown into a deep cove .And hicory if its smoking your hoing it wrong.the trouble with us turners is we want instant apreciation of what we do:rolleyes: but in doing so we get our desasters to:eek:.

robatman
13th July 2006, 10:17 AM
Here is a picture of the base showing the spalting is not around the pith? or heart.

will definately sand a lot finer next time, and welcome the suggestions to 'dress it up a bit' with a few beads or coves. Tried to burn in some decoration with wire but kept slipping all over the place and didnt want to put too much strain as i didnt want it to fly off again. i guess its a matter of practice to see how much pressure can be applied.

the catches (3 of them) were mainly when doing the base which was just the irregular shape ( not perpendicular to the sides), the result of using a bush saw to cut the piece from the original log. that is, both ends were not parrallel. not sure if i'm explaining myself clearly but i had trouble trying to flatten it.

How do you know what speed to use. maybe i'm going a little slow? i had no probs getting the sides parallel to the turning axis.

Robert

ss_11000
13th July 2006, 12:39 PM
speed depends usually on the size of the wood, usually the bigger the slower,

arose62
13th July 2006, 01:35 PM
"It's near on impossible to get the same axis when remounting with independant jaws!!!"

I'm sure that any engineers would beg to disagree!

I believe their saying is "3 jaws for boys, 4 jaws for men", but in metalwork, the 3 jaws are scroll jaw chucks like the better woodworking ones.

There's a technique to recentering with independent jaws, and it involves using a dial indicator. Most woodies use scroll chucks because there is no point in trying for the same sort of accuracy as is achievable in metal.

Having said that, you can also pay lots more money for woodturning chucks which allow you to get things off centre!!

My first turning was similar, although I called mine a mallet, and use it most days when I get into the shed.:p

Cheers,
Andrew