PDA

View Full Version : min-max-minor

fletty
12th July 2006, 11:43 PM
I've just returned from the (freezing cold) shed having used min-max wipe on satin poly for the first time. It seemed TOO easy. Unusually for me I sanded a small southern myrtle table "as per the manual", poured the min-max onto an old singlet and wiped it on. It's left a thin very smooth coat of poly wheras I was expecting that the cloth would have been wiping it off rather than on.
Hope I've done the right thing although so far it looks ok.
Maybe a second coat (wipe?) tomorrow night and then look more critically.
good night all, Fletty

Flowboy
13th July 2006, 06:19 AM
Hi Fletty,

I've used Wipe on Poly quite a bit and it certainly does look too easy, but you've done it right. Another coat should be all you need. It gives good stain and some heat resistance properties to the surface. I used it on a Jarrah coffee table in a high traffic area about 12 months ago and there is still no sign of damage. Easy to clean too.

Regards

Rob

fletty
14th July 2006, 06:23 PM
thanx Flowboy, second coat and all is well, Fletty

Flowboy
15th July 2006, 02:54 PM
Hi Fletty,

Glad all is well. When doing large areas, I tend to pour the poly on and use smooth strokes of the rag along the grain. Gives a slightly thicker coat, but with no colouring.
I've attached a pic of my dining tablewhich was oiled with Danish oil then Wipe on Polyfied. (Table is 1.8x1.8 metres.

Regards

Rob

fletty
15th July 2006, 07:34 PM
Flowboy, beautiful table and great finish. Square tables are so unusual but so practical, if you've got a room big enough!
I've attached a pic of my current project, it's a small corner table with legs and top of southern myrtle but the apron and footrest are french oak from 2 very old wine barrel staves. I deliberately kept the double curve of the staves. The pic shows the satin finish building up. The heavy figuring is visually very prominent but the surface is absolutely smooth.
Have you ever waxed over the MinMax, I'd love to finish with Uncle Neil's Traditional Wax?
Fletty

Flowboy
15th July 2006, 07:49 PM
Hi Fletty,

The table looks very impressive and I love the figuring.
I've never waxed over the Poly as it's not something I thought about. If I wanted brilliant shine I used the Minwax full gloss. However, things have changed, as you can see on the fiddleback table in the pics forum. I don't see a problem with using the Trad wax, but I think I'd try it on a dark timber like Jarrah or blackwood to be sure it doesn't give a streaky effect. Imean it's really like putting wax on to plastic.

Good luck and thanks for the pic of the table,

Rob