PDA

View Full Version : Router bits for a FMT

Flowboy
13th July 2006, 08:12 AM
Hello everyone,

I am looking for the following bits either in HSS or Carbide tipped, in the Melbourne area. They have to be the given cutting diameter to be used on a metric Leigh FMT. 8ml shanks would be preferable, but beggars can't be choosers!

6, 8, 10 and 12ml cutter diameter spiral upcut bits.
12.7, 6.3 etc are not an option.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Slavo
13th July 2006, 09:45 AM
Contact Carbitooll (http://www.carbitool.com.au) If they don't have what you're after they may be able to do a special order for you

mat
13th July 2006, 09:58 AM
8mm is almost spot on 5/16 so you may have some luck there. I bought a 5/16 with 5/16 shank (fits 8mm collet reducer) from Lee Valley recently for my Leigh D1600. Otherwise I don't like your chances unless you find a store that stocks the FMT bits - maybe Carbatec. MIK in Adelaide may well stock the metric bits.

Flowboy
13th July 2006, 10:31 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input.
MIK is where I get them from and it turns out they are Leigh anyway. Sometimes the wait for things ordered from North America can be considerable. I was hoping to find an alternate source.
Carbitool crossed my mind as I like their bits, but I think that the cost of a special run could be excessive. It's amazing what plunge routing Blue Gum, Blackwood, Mahogany and Red Gum all one after the other will do to a bit!

Slavo
13th July 2006, 03:10 PM
I would still give Carbitool a call, doesn't cost anything to get a quote. I am aware of one instance where a one-off bit cost about $15-20 more than the standard. In their cattledog they have 8, 10 & 12 mm uppercuts (shanks the same diameter as cutters).