PDA

View Full Version : Cheap lathe?

Groggy
13th July 2006, 10:12 AM
I've been offered an MC900 for $200 on a stand with all fittings etc. I had been waiting to buy a small lathe like the Jet but this one may do.

It is in used condition with a fine surface rust layer on the bed. I mostly wanted a lathe so I had the capability to turn a chisel handle, knob or similar small item. Perhaps an occasional small pillar (20").

Would this lathe be likely to suit that purpose?

Dean
13th July 2006, 12:33 PM
yep it will handle those tasks no problem.

ss_11000
13th July 2006, 12:36 PM
sounds good.

Auzzie turner
13th July 2006, 01:21 PM
I have a Mc900, and as long as the motor is in good condition, has all the handles,-----for holding the toolrest in place. tailstock works properly, comes with a toolrest, I think it's a good deal,

Regards.............Joash

Groggy
13th July 2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks guys, any shortcomings I should be aware of?

arose62
13th July 2006, 01:38 PM
That's a good price!

Pull the head apart and squirt Inox on the moving bits (not the pulleys;) ) - it'll make a major difference in ease of changing gears. Plan to do this on a regular-ish basis. There are a few threads here about how to maintain these lathes.

Look forward to your first turning!

Cheers,
Andrew

Tassie Boy
13th July 2006, 07:42 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me!!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th July 2006, 10:11 PM
That sound's like a good price, Groggy. It'll handle most small items fine, with a few caveats. There are a few areas where the MC-900 falls down.

Firstly, the speed control lever should be operable by a single finger. A strong finger, perhaps, bu only one. ;) It rarely is, and in worse cases it can jam. Stripping the headstock down, a light cleanup and lube is generally all that's needed to make it as good as new.

Secondly, the banjo and it's extension aren't the most solid configuration, they tend to vibrate which exaggerates any tool chatter. I've removed the extension and fit my tailstock directly into the banjo, but I needed to have a longer shaft made up for my tailstock else it wouldn't reach working height. The extension's only used when I need the extra reach and even then I've a "leg" (a bit of water pipe) that supports directly underneath the tailstock.

Finally, and this is the one that probably most concern you... often the centres of the headstock & tailstock don't line up perfectly. Try bringing the tailstock up to kiss a drivespur in the headstock. The further they're out, well...

Ideally, after the headstock has been used in outboard mode and then swivelled back they should line up every time. I'll practically guarantee that they won't, unless someones already addressed the problem. Usually the headstock can be loosened off and jiggled until things are re-aligned, at least until the first serious catch or the headstock's used in outboard mode again. If you're particulalry fussy you can strip the headstock down to determine the exact cause (which is normally sloppy machining, but which part(s) varies from brand to brand and machine to machine. :rolleyes: )

Most people just live with these until they're ready to move on to a bigger'n'better machine. After all, these are problems that don't really matter until the turner's skills are developed enough that that last wee little bit of accuracy is important. (Sorta like the ol' Triton vs. TS debate. ;) )

And they're not insurmountable by anyone willing to do a bit of tinkering...

Groggy
13th July 2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks Skew, I have my choice of three so I may be able to avoid these issues.

I'll print this out and take it with me, ta.

Groggy
15th July 2006, 06:06 PM
Well after reading all the comments and the other thread (A few problems with MC900 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=34431)), I went ahead anyway and bought the lathe. I've attached pictures after spending and hour and a half cleaning it. Note the pic with the three small blocks on the end of the machine. These are grit impregnated resin blocks that are really handy for removing rust. The bed had a fine film of red rust all over it, 10 mins later it was as you see it.

The head and tailstock points meet quite well (about .5mm off), the other lathe was off by about 1.5mm. I beat the other guy by about 30 secs, slid the heads together and chose mine - phew!

We got to talking and I wound up taking his lathe to his place for him (he just turned 80), nice guy but his friend was eying off my lathe - kept asking if I *really* wanted it. :(

So, here's some pics, all I need now is to learn how to use it. My first job will be to make a Lignum style honing disk. It runs well with very little vibration.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

(For the bottom feeders out there $200, accessories thrown in and bought a cheap set of tools .:p )

Fireman sam
15th July 2006, 06:16 PM
looks a good lathe hope you have a lot of fun with it :D
Andrew

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th July 2006, 06:19 PM
If the toolrests on the bottom shelf came with it, then I reckon 'tis fair to say you picked up the lathe for only $100. ;)

Good buy, may it provide you with many an entertaining hour. :D

Iain
15th July 2006, 06:20 PM
Just a quicky from a turning expert:rolleyes: . pic #4, you have not put on the collar on the thread and this could cause you some grief when it comes to removing the taper.
I realise that this could be for the sake of the photo, but if it isn't, beware, The collar will ease the taper from the head stock when unscrewed, try it manually is near on impossible.

Groggy
15th July 2006, 06:22 PM
If the toolrests on the bottom shelf came with it, then I reckon 'tis fair to say you picked up the lathe for only $100. ;)They did. ;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th July 2006, 06:24 PM
No real need for a collar: the headstock is hollow and that's what the knockout bar (on the bottom shelf) is for...

Groggy
15th July 2006, 06:25 PM
Just a quicky from a turning expert:rolleyes: . pic #4, you have not put on the collar on the thread and this could cause you some grief when it comes to removing the taper.
I realise that this could be for the sake of the photo, but if it isn't, beware, The collar will ease the taper from the head stock when unscrewed, try it manually is near on impossible.Collar? Ok, let's pretend I am completely ignorant, the only collar I have is a faceplate, should there be something else? (I'll do a quick search on giggle)

Iain
15th July 2006, 09:37 PM
No real need for a collar: the headstock is hollow and that's what the knockout bar (on the bottom shelf) is for...
My lathe has a hollow tailstock but not headstock, I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that all were the same:o
I also do not claim to be a turner, just happen to own a lathe (Record, now let the flaming begin, but it is solid and accurate) for the odds and sods that need doing on occassion.

DJ’s Timber
15th July 2006, 10:10 PM
G'day Groggy

Could you tell me where you bought the lathe from
It looked familer and the mention of three available had me thinking that I had seen them before

Cheers DJ

Hickory
16th July 2006, 02:18 AM
You Done Good!

Groggy
16th July 2006, 02:41 AM
Could you tell me where you bought the lathe from
It looked familer and the mention of three available had me thinking that I had seen them beforeI bought it from Get Woodworking in Kororoit Creek Road in Williamstown. He was running classes but needs the room in his factory area for other machinery now.

DJ’s Timber
16th July 2006, 03:14 AM
Thanks Groggy

Just as I thought, I made the two tool rests sitting on the bottom shelf
Musta been 3 or 4 years ago

Cheers DJ

Groggy
16th July 2006, 01:28 PM
Just as I thought, I made the two tool rests sitting on the bottom shelf
Musta been 3 or 4 years agoSome very nice welds on them too! Wish I could weld like that.

ss_11000
16th July 2006, 01:45 PM
congrats on your new toy

Rossluck
16th July 2006, 01:45 PM
Just to help you out, I'll reluctantly offer you $210 to take it off your hands .... :)

DJ’s Timber
16th July 2006, 02:02 PM
Some very nice welds on them too! Wish I could weld like that.

G'day Groggy

The welds was the easiest part of making them:)
Heating and getting the curves is the hardest part of making them
A good job for winter as it is hot work

Cheers DJ

rsser
16th July 2006, 07:10 PM
DJ,

I have some of your curved rests. You still in the business?

DJ’s Timber
16th July 2006, 08:12 PM
G'day Ern

I haven't made any for a couple of years, but I still have all the gear needed to make them.
All the jigs that I made are to good to throw away plus I still have to make some more for my Vicmarc

Cheers DJ

Tassie Boy
18th July 2006, 09:06 PM
COngratulations on the new machine..
Sounds like you picked up a bargain!!!
Have fun.