PDA

View Full Version : Old TS lives again

BobL
14th July 2006, 12:21 AM
Up until I bought a 12" TS earlier this year I had a 30 year old "toy" 8" TS with a 1.5 HP motor on it. Every attachment was either rusted, broken or out of whack. I was just about to put it on the verge for the council pick up, but at the last minute I decided against it. Over the last few months I have fixed up some of the glaring problems and realigned the table and blade and give it a rub and waxed the table. I was thinking of using it as a disc sander but this evening it struck me that it could make a reasonable permanent metal cutting saw. Of course you can do this with any TS and have done so before but with any machine used for wood I was always worried about all the sawdust and a major clean up was usually needed before using it to cut metal. So I pulled the baby 8" apart and vacuumed out all the sawdust. I bought an thin 8" metal cutting disc, made 16 mm to 1/2" reduction bush and tried it out this evening and wow, stable right angle cuts, mitres, rip etc.

It's not exactly like buying a new tool but in some ways it's better!

boban
14th July 2006, 12:24 AM
You cant just talk about something like that BobL. Read my rules.

You must post a picture or 4 or 10.

I cant throw anything out either.

BobL
16th July 2006, 12:27 AM
You cant just talk about something like that BobL. Read my rules.

You must post a picture or 4 or 10.

I cant throw anything out either.

Will take a picture next time I've got the camera out although there is not that much to see, an old TS with a metal cutting blade in it.

This evening I experimeted with one of the smaller (115mm diam) 1mm thin blades (other one was a 2 mm) and after phaffing about making a 22 to 12.5 mm bush - - - - - - WOW ! even better. It sliced up some 12 mm brass rod so sweetly to within 1/2 mm without even trying. It's so much easier to handle than an angle grinder.

tanii51
25th July 2006, 07:43 PM
dont know if yuo know nicholson/ cooper tools have tungsten carbide blades to cut steel now . mines used in the triton wc with makita 9 inch saw results are very very good no burnt bits or sharp edges i got my blade from gas weld for around the 95 dollar mark expensive but very clean cuts.ive used it to cut 4mm plate with ease not sure how thick yuo can go but im sure it depends on the speed yuo can feed it in

BobL
26th July 2006, 12:58 AM
dont know if yuo know nicholson/ cooper tools have tungsten carbide blades to cut steel now . mines used in the triton wc with makita 9 inch saw results are very very good no burnt bits or sharp edges i got my blade from gas weld for around the 95 dollar mark expensive but very clean cuts.ive used it to cut 4mm plate with ease not sure how thick yuo can go but im sure it depends on the speed yuo can feed it in

Yeah I have seen these, they are pretty impressive. My brother in law is an Al boat builder and he showed me steel cutting with these blades. He also showed me Al cutting with HSS blades. The kerf on these blades is a touch on the large side for the fine-ish work I have been doing. For example I was able to make a 1mm wide cut lengthwise down the middle of some 6 mm diam stainless steel rod whereas I think the carbide blades would just shred the rod. I also find I can bring my fingers pretty close to a small rotating abrasive disc but there's no way my fingers are getting anywhere near a set of TC teeth.