PDA

View Full Version : Problem with big Triton Router

BobL
14th July 2006, 10:18 AM
I've had a 2400W triton router for about 2 months now and just recently the plunge/vertical movement has become stiff. The coarse movement is barely OK but the micro adjustment is hardly able to be turned at all.
Also the twist lock mechanism on the handle of mine never seemed to work even from when I first got it.

Any ideas before I take it back for a look over?

Gumby
14th July 2006, 10:22 AM
We all had the problem Bob. It's dust in the works. If you have a compressor, give it a blow out. Take the plunge spring out too, if you mainly use it in the table. The instrucions for doing so are in the manual.

Zed
14th July 2006, 10:31 AM
a lttile bit of lube will help too...

BobL
14th July 2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks chasps, I will attack it tonight and report back at dawn.
Cheers

Gumby
14th July 2006, 05:30 PM
Good idea. I'm not a big fan of the micro adjuster anyway. Mine has always been a bit 'jumpy'. I usually raise the bit slightly above the height I need and then use the micro knob to lower it down to where I want it. I find trying to raise it to the exact height using the micro knob is a bit of a pain in the bum.

I had a look at a Triton router fitted with the router raiser from Woodworkers Supplies yesterday and I'm probably going to get one. So smooth and easy, it was great. Being able to adjust from above the table is a much better way of doing things. I wish the Triton guys had thought of this as a standard attachment. It wouldn't be that hard or make the router more expensive. At least not by much anyway.

(PS, I'm only talking in table mode through all this Bob, not hand held. Mine and many others don't ever leave the table and spend their whole lives hanging upside down - like a t bat :D )

jow104
14th July 2006, 06:05 PM
I recall that when using the micro adjustment to lower the height there is a delayed lag effect.
Raising the bit does not have this facility.

I always run a waste piece through the table and check measurements (when I remember) of any cuts.

Zed
14th July 2006, 06:50 PM
i find after raising or lowering it a little love tap on the body of the unit settles it into position about half a hairs width - then give it another measuring before locking it & firing it up....

BarryBurgess
14th July 2006, 07:01 PM
I had a look at a Triton router fitted with the router raiser from Woodworkers Supplies yesterday and I'm probably going to get one. So smooth and easy, it was great. Being able to adjust from above the table is a much better way of doing things. I wish the Triton guys had thought of this as a standard attachment. It wouldn't be that hard or make the router more expensive. At least not by much anyway.

The height winder in the baby Triton will be in big brother once the existing stocks are sold. I am told that they are in the 110Volt version already. I won't know if it is a retro fit to the existing routers. I also looked at the Router Raizer but it is too expensive for a few nuts & bolts.
I just hope Triton will come through in the end

jd&coke
2nd August 2006, 01:14 AM
This is my first post so forgive me if i am telling you something you already know.

All threads have something that is called the backlash this is the space between the nuts and bolts to allow them to move freely.

Turn micro adjust clockwise till cutter is passed the depth required then turn the micro adjust anti-clockwise you should feel the micro go light continue turning anti-clockwise until it feels heavy ( about 1/2 to full turn) this will have removed the backlash continue turning anti-clockwise until cutter is at desired depth.

Do hope this makes sense

John

BobL
2nd August 2006, 01:38 AM
I meant to report back on what I found and it was a little disconcerting. The router was actually not that dusty. The problem was with overtightening the bolts on the clamping attachments underneath the standard cast iron router extension wing. You know the router is hanging there upside down and you don't want the thing falling off do you? So you give those bolts a decent hard tweak. The trouble was I was over tweaking these bolts so much so that I was somehow slightly deforming the router casing and that's why the router wasn't moving freely. Just easing up a little on these bolts has made all the difference and it works quite smoothly now.

BTW I still can't make any sense out of the rotary lock on one of the handles. Which ever way I switch it, it seems to make no difference.