PDA

View Full Version : Domino Cutting Action

warmtone
14th July 2006, 06:07 PM
I have recently purchased the Domino and currently using the machine to assemble the Festool Stool - yep a freebie to get you used to the capabilities.

Some early observations are: 1) The tool is very accurate and easy to use 2) The additional jig for holding narrow pieces works very well but a bit fiddly to set up so the cutting tool is truly centred. 3) The milled slot for smaller ie 5mm and 6mm dominoes is a nice firm fit.

However, when using the largest domino with the 10mm cutter set for a 25 mm cutting depth, I notice that the Domino fit is a bit loose. Maybe there is more of an allowance for glue thickness for the largest Dominos?

Or is this because of the limitations of the Domino cutting action that essentially moves the cutting tool in an arc? ie The deeper and wider the slot, the more "slack" there will be.

I'm interested in other users observations re larger dominoes and whether the 10 mm domino "fit" can be "tightened"

Richardwoodhead
15th July 2006, 10:12 AM
Warmtone, I've only read the manual & watched the video's (havn't had the chance to get started yet), but I recall seeing a dial setting that gives you the option of cutting loose fitting or tight fitting mortice holes. Maybe your tool is set on the loose fitting cut.

I'm sure Lignum will have the answer...

Richard

nt900
15th July 2006, 12:00 PM
It would not be the cutting action. Although the cutter swings like a pendulum, the arc width is constant throughout the plunge action, and you get a mortise with straight sides. Only the bottom of the hole will show the telltale signs of the arc movement.

I have not notices any loosely fitting dominos whilst using the larger size cutters, but I will test my DOMINO today and report back.

warmtone
15th July 2006, 07:24 PM
I'd like to confirm that I was using Domino position number 1 - the "tight" setting.

nt900
15th July 2006, 08:30 PM
I assumed that to be the case. I did not get to do a test today - many other things to get done. I will see if I have some time tomorrow.

Lignum
15th July 2006, 08:39 PM
My 10mm tenons need pliers to lightly remove it from the mortice. Not having ago at your prowess with Dominatrixing;) but just using one for the first time you might be invariably moved it a fraction. If the Tenons were tight you could blame moisture, but i doubt thats the case for the slopiness. Do you have verniers? if so measure and get back to us:)

patr
15th July 2006, 11:44 PM
Ditto. Just cut 10mm slots at all depths and need to use a bit of force to get the domis out. It is this precision of fit that allows the ability to dry assemble which is such a superb feature of the Domino. You have either got a duffer or as Lignum alludes it is possible you are not holding her tight enough to eliminate any movement. I don't think you can adjust anything to 'tighten' the arc of cut. Is the sloppines in the vertical or horizontal plane? If it is vertical then the cutting bit is off centre; if it is horizontal then the 1st position movement stops may be faulty.

Pat

patr
16th July 2006, 12:04 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/simou/dominopics017.jpg
Remove a domi with Pliers? Never! Not when you have a handy Rotti ready to pull out a domi in exchange for a biccy or two!

Regards

Pat and his trusty puller Simou.

Note: in background is sister Megan thoroughly bored at all things Festool.

Lignum
16th July 2006, 12:37 AM
Pat, do you take Simou to the work peice, or the work peice to Simou?
great idea and i reckon Anthony would be mad not to include that brilliant tip in the users section on his web site:)

Oh! you couldnt do that with the old fashion biscuits as the slober would swell them. Another tick for the Dominatrix

patr
16th July 2006, 01:17 AM
Pat, do you take Simou to the work peice, or the work peice to Simou?

Lignum :)
Both. As he is 49kg of sheer muscle I prefer to ask and let him decide!

As for the slobber, its not a Rotti thing. But he does prefer the solid domi to the pressed reconstituted stuff that the biscuit joiner uses which tended to get caught in his teeth. So once again the Domino shows its many advantages over the humble biscuit joiner.

In a recent Irish/Welsh Consumer Test, 2 out of 2 Rotties preferred Domis to a well known brand of wooden biscuit.

( I know they are both my Rotties but the test was totally impartial using scientific methods ie a digestive biscuit over the Domi and SFA over the wood biscuits):D :D

Regards
Pat, Simou and, as she enjoyed the biscuits, Megan.

warmtone
16th July 2006, 10:20 PM
I've had another attempt at cutting 10mm mortise joints and the result is the same ie the 10mm domino biscuits are too loose.

By this I mean that if the domino is inserted and the work inverted the domino falls out.

I have tried adjusting the various domino width settings with the machine running as per handbook but no change. :mad:

This is really puzzling bexause the smaller dominoes are a nice snug fit. I've checked the bit dia and it's spot on 10mm. Another observation is the 10mm dominoes do vary a bit in size - but not enough to provide a tight fit.

Looks like I may have to give Festool a call.........

I'll post some photos to illustrate the above......

warmtone
16th July 2006, 11:18 PM
Photo 1 shows clean Mortice using 10mm cutter
Photo 2 Illustration of "slack" in two joined pieces of timber
Photo 3 Illustration of domino "slack" in the Mortice
The wood was carefully clamped when cutting the mortice(!)

Dare I suggest this is a tad disappointing?

Brian

patr
17th July 2006, 03:00 AM
Brian
If your domis fall out when you invert your workpiece then you have a seriously sick Domino. I can understand there being sideways slack as the three position switch controls the sideways cutting arc and there could be a fault in the arc stops. The cutter only moves sideways as it rotates so the hole should only ever be 10mm or the diameter of whichever cutter you have fitted. If the domi falls out then it is not cutting a 10mm hole on the vertical plane and the cutter cannot be true.

You confirm that you have clamped the workpiece but I must admit that my first cut with the Domino on a demonstration day in Germany was not 100% accurate and the man from Festool uber Alles told me in a quaint German accent with only the slightest dash of professional disdain that you must hold the Domino 'dicht und fest'. Which roughly translated means tight and secure. Or the way a Scotsman would guard his wallet..well clamped.

As a soldier and Irish to boot I could understand me not tightening the cutter properly and putting an 8mm domi in a 10mm hole but I am sure that you..............:) :)

I have spoken to four equally sad (as me) Domi fans here in Wales and none of them have had any problems. Like me they are astounded at the precision of cut so you must have a Freitag machine or one that was assembled just as Italy got the second goal against the Fatherland.:D

Send the bugger back Brian! As you say it is a tad dissappointing.

Regards
Pat

Flowboy
17th July 2006, 07:54 AM
Hi Warmtone,

I'm probably telling you things you already know, but...
If you are going to return your Domino for repair, you could take advantage of Tooltechnic's pick up service (no idea if this costs you or not). If you are going to take it back to where you bought it, ensure and insist that it be sent to Dandenong (their State office). Here they guarantee 24-48hrs turnaround. If it is sent anywhere else, such as the outer eastern Melbourne facility, it appears they have no way of making sure the job is treated as a warranty fix. The difference could be an extra week that you do not have the Joiner.

Regards,

Rob

TassieKiwi
17th July 2006, 09:38 AM
I too have to forcibly remove all dominos from their new house with pliers. I'm guessing that there is a problem with the 10mm cutter (maybe it has been drilled/tapped off line), as the other sizes are OK the machine itself should be fine - see if they'll send another out to you to try, before parting with your new baby.

Den

Flowboy
17th July 2006, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

It appears that some people have tight domino fits at 10mm, some have loose fits at 10mm and some don't have a problem. Is it possible there was a bad lot that made it through QC (is that possible?). Perhaps if you compare serial numbers/ purchase dates you could find something common and approach Festool to find out. Its been my experience in all fields of endeavor that they won't let you know until you ask. It's hard to imagine you'll get freebies to try. Doesn't seem to be company policy.

Regards

Rob

warmtone
17th July 2006, 11:44 AM
Guys, thanks for the feedback. I've just spoken to the Festool Rep and it looks like I will have to return the Tool for adjustment........ They have apparenty had a couple of Domino's that have needed a minor adjustment ( out of 1000 sold) to the cutting arc.........And yes there is a suggestion of a quality control problem........

Rgds,
Brian

TassieKiwi
17th July 2006, 12:10 PM
Festool? QA problems? The sky will surely fall.:eek:

Flowboy
17th July 2006, 02:15 PM
Hi Warmtone,

Good to hear you have some resolution.

By the way, 1:1000 is what they either admit to, or worse, know about. If they knew there was an issue all people who purchased a Domino since they were alerted to it. should have been told. I mean the Oz market isn't that big. Also, and maybe this has already happened, all units on sale should have been recalled and replaced with non faulty units. If no recall has occurred, it has to make you wonder what else will go wrong and just how much your business is worth.

Regards,

Rob

TassieKiwi
17th July 2006, 02:53 PM
BTW what's this free stool that you're on about?

Groggy
17th July 2006, 03:06 PM
I can't say I am surprised if this is a QA problem. I imagine that Festool had to hire new people to ramp up production on these units and with that comes an increase in errors, it's unavoidable. Still, they have an extensive and enviable support network and warranty, so it is just a nuisance really.

warmtone
17th July 2006, 03:52 PM
BTW what's this free stool that you're on about?

Apparently Festool had an Autumn special running some time ago that gave Domino Purchasers a free Stool. This is a kit of parts that simply requires you to assemble - as per instructions using the Domino. The dealer had a few left.

Had I not embarked on the Stool project I may not have picked up the excess slack issue with the 10mm Domino!

After discussing the above problem with Festool Service today, - I now underastand that the adjustment of the Arc is non trivial: ie major work involved ......

I personally feel that at this price point Festool should offer a new properly functioning unit "no questions asked".

Brian

Groggy
17th July 2006, 04:16 PM
After discussing the above problem with Festool Service today, - I now underastand that the adjustment of the Arc is non trivial: ie major work involved ......

I personally feel that at this price point Festool should offer a new properly functioning unit "no questions asked". Brian I agree with you. For the price they should swap it over if that's what you want - did you ask them to do that?

Flowboy
17th July 2006, 05:08 PM
You are right. There is a good network of support, its just slow to get moving. It appears Warmtone, that you got Victoria's token error (No offence meant).
And, believe it or not, I came within a bee's dick of buying the whole Domino box and Dice today. Even have the DVD!! But, if I do, I really have to go see Anthony I guess.

Regards,

Rob

TassieKiwi
17th July 2006, 05:19 PM
Brian I agree with you. For the price they should swap it over if that's what you want - did you ask them to do that?

Depends on the Warranty. Mind you, if the new Beemer or Rangie needs an adjustment, they won't swap for another one. If the thing can be adjusted to perfection, I would let them try anyway. It still doesn't make sense that the smaller sizes are OK, as the displacement side to side is the same.:confused:

D

TassieKiwi
17th July 2006, 05:21 PM
And, believe it or not, I came within a bee's dick of buying the whole Domino box and Dice today. Even have the DVD!! But, if I do, I really have to go see Anthony I guess.

Regards,

Rob

Do it. You know you want too. The power of the DarkLime Side cannot be resisted. Even Rocker's submitted!:D

Flowboy
17th July 2006, 06:47 PM
Hi TassieK1W1 (I lived in AKL for 5 years, I'm JAFA.)

What is being discussed now is something I have been hitting my head against the wall about since I bought the OF2000s.
The price of Festool instruments and their own claim of the best thing since sliced bread, means that the option of replacement (in Australia anyway, can't vouch for Tassie) should be open. Agreed the terms of Warranty should include this. The bottom line is that Warmtone buys $1.6K of instrument from a self confessed reliable, reputable supplier. He realistically expects the thing to work. It doesn't So he is told, Oooh, it'll have to back to the workshop. How long?
Don't know. What about my work? Tough!!!

This is not acceptable from a high end supplier in this market and does not constitute the level of support that a purchaser should have to wear.

As for the Beemer, here's a story, condensed.

Farmer in Tassie buys Rolls
Tries to remove stump in middle of paddock
Axle breaks
Roller is under warranty, contacts Kellows in Melb.
Kellows pay for engineers, towing team, replacement car and repair of Rolls.
Car is off road, performing unwarrantable work and Rolls pay for it all.
Why? Because in the eyes of Rolls Royce "Our cars don't break down."

If you accept this "gotta go back to the shop" mentality, start buying multiples of everything.

Cheers and gee I feel better,

Rob

Auld Bassoon
17th July 2006, 06:52 PM
Pat and his trusty puller Simou.

I say Simou! Is that expression one of "are you taking the pith out of me? Because if you are..." :D :D :D

patr
17th July 2006, 07:13 PM
Steve
No. Its called a bargaining mode. If you want your domi back either take it :cool: or open the biscuit tin. Two digestives for one domi.

Brian
I am staggered that your 'Freitag Domino' is not being replaced on a one for one basis. Here in the UK if an item does not do as described, ie cut domi holes accurately, then you are within your right to have it replaced or your money refunded as ' not fit for purpose or not of merchantable quality'.

However, if you do agree for repairs to be effected you loose that right. I would not accept a repair and would demand a replacement/refund. Shame on Festool Oz if they do not. I thought they were a cut above Festool YUK and hope that someone reading this thread will pull their finger out and get this problem sorted.

I am a Festool fan, love the tools (which are still overpriced in my opinion), but despair at the price cartels and undertone of superiority that pervades throughout the Fesmugtool organisation.

Hope you get it sorted and that your faith is restored in the Domi. If you are cutting the smaller sizes accurately then I would suspect that you have a badly machined 10mm cutter. The arc sweep remains constant for all sizes of cutter. Perhaps a friendly Festool dealer ( Q lights and music ... Anthony!) would send you one to check.

Regards
Pat

warmtone
17th July 2006, 08:21 PM
Well, after a sleepless night and mulling over this vexing problem all day, I decided to do what I should have done yesterday:

I tried the 8mm bit to see what happened ...... Guess what? The Domino fit was quite snug - not plier tight but a very acceptable fit and quite different from the sloppy 10mm experience.:) Now if the 5mm Domino Mortice is good and the 8mm is also good, I conclude that the arc of the machine MUST be accurate.

It would seem that the 10mm cutter, (supplied in the boxed set) is possibly slightly eccentric or a whisker oversize ....... this is the only explanation as to why ONLY the 10mm Dominoes are loose and the other sizes are fine.

I'll be obtaining a replacement 10mm cutter tomorrow!

Guys, thanks for the moral support ..... we live and learn!

nt900
17th July 2006, 10:54 PM
Hi warmtone,

My diagnosis (without seeing it) would be the 10mm cutter itself, would have guessed this even before your last test.

I tested mine today. The fit is good. But I did notice that some of the dominos did require pliers to remove, others could be removed by hand. One has a slight bit of wobble (left to right) in the hole.

This leads me to think about the DOMINOs being made of solid timber, timber being timber, not all are 100% identical. I will break out the vernier callipers sometime and see how they measure up. But none present the problem you talk of.... so yet again, I agree - the likely candidate is the cutter.

I further wonder - how do the dominos change with different levels of humidity? Would the QLD users be getting a tighter fit than us Melbourne users? Would it be t all noticeable in a domino, would it be more noticeable in the 10mm dominos or could all of them show some perceptible signs of swelling? Anyone care to offer an opinion?

warmtone
19th July 2006, 10:31 PM
Well, the new 10mm Domino Cutter arrived today courtesy of Festool Service who have been most helpful and responsive. I am pleased to say the earlier 10mm Domino slackness problem is now resolved. :)

The Domino fit is not plier tight, but satisfyingly snug and a HUGE improvement confirming the original 10mm bit is a tad out of spec somewhere.

Interestingly, if I wet the domino ever so slightly I gain a totally tight fit......... I'd say we can expect some small variations in Domino fit due to relative humidity and storage conditions of the Dominoes. A fraction of a mm can make all the difference in fit!

I've just finished gluing up the Stool - provided as a Festool freebie and I must say this little project while undoubtedly trivial has illustrated just how versatile, accurate and enjoyable the Domino is to use.

Incidentally, both the Domino accessories are well worthwhile purchasing: One accessory provides a jig to centralise narrow pieces, the other provides a broader span for indexing widely spaced mortices.

Now I can get on to some real projects!!

Once again thanks for the advice, good humour and feedback

Brian

TassieKiwi
20th July 2006, 06:22 PM
I've just finished gluing up the Stool - provided as a Festool freebie and I must say this little project while undoubtedly trivial has illustrated just how versatile, accurate and enjoyable the Domino is to use.

Brian

COuld we have a pic of the stool please?

DomiDen

nt900
20th July 2006, 11:33 PM
Hope you get it sorted and that your faith is restored in the Domi. If you are cutting the smaller sizes accurately then I would suspect that you have a badly machined 10mm cutter. The arc sweep remains constant for all sizes of cutter. Perhaps a friendly Festool dealer ( Q lights and music ... Anthony!) would send you one to check.

Regards
Pat
Damn :eek: I missed my Q, not paying attention. Glad Brian got it sorted though.

But I do have a spare one of those stool kits if a new DOMINO owner wanted to try one out - to try their new DOMINO on a test project. As Brian mentioned, it is a simple project but takes the user through some of the regular manoeuvres to get them familiar with the system. I made a small error when I first built one of these, forgot to change the slot width back to the first position. Easily corrected and did not show (much) in final product. If anyone wants it, email me.... sorry Pat - you're a bit far away.

Pic shows my finished FeSTOOL below.

andrewsd
21st July 2006, 12:06 AM
Hi. I had problems with the domino kit that I bought with the router. In my case, the entire bag of the smaller Dominos were machined too long for the mortise. I complained to the Festool dealer and he told me that I was not the first person to have had this problem. Apparently, the dominos are often not properly sized!!! Or at least, they are more often incorrectly sized than they should be for a product of this price. I am a little disappointed...

Andrew

Lignum
21st July 2006, 12:51 AM
In my case, the entire bag of the smaller Dominos were machined too long for the mortise. I complained to the Festool dealer and he told me that I was not the first person to have had this problem. Apparently, the dominos are often not properly sized!!! Or at least, they are more often incorrectly sized than they should be for a product of this price. I am a little disappointed...

Andrew

Bad luck. but in all the responses re the Domino here and on the festool forum its the first ive heard of them being "often not properly sized" no way would Festool make a misake like that twice. If the docking of a batch was wrong, fair enough, but it would have been rectafied. Your dealer should have just swaped them over and end of story. in the other thread you said "Pretty poor for price! I wouldn't buy one again..." did you mean a Domino machine? :rolleyes:

patr
21st July 2006, 01:19 AM
Simou here.

I am really annoyed as I have heard that you folks in Oz are getting 10% more wood in your Dominos. This is discrimination against us inhabitants of the Northern Hemisphere and I am writing a stiff letter to Herr Festool:

Achtung Meine Liebe Herr Doktor Festool,

Ich bin Simou, eine halbes Deutsch/halbes Welsh Rotweiller, und ich bin pis**d off. (I will revert to Welsh now as speaking German is hurting my throat in this dry weather).

Did you know that Australians are getting more wood in their domis than us Europeans? As I am half German I would have thought that you would have favoured me and my mate Pat (the thick one of the partnership) with the longer Domis but no, you send them half way round the world to an ungrateful woodworker in Oz who has complained! You wouldn't hear complaints from Scotland where the national sport is searching for lost coins in the heather.:)

I have just been through Pats big box of domis and out of 1800 domis, two are oversize by .5mm and the bag of 5x30 was missing four domis. What have you got to say for yourself Herr Doktor. Send a new box immediately or at that price we will not be buying again.

Simou

TassieKiwi
21st July 2006, 10:26 AM
I too have to forcibly remove all dominos from their new house with pliers. I'm guessing that there is a problem with the 10mm cutter (maybe it has been drilled/tapped off line), as the other sizes are OK the machine itself should be fine - see if they'll send another out to you to try, before parting with your new baby.

Den

Elementary my dear sir.

Just imagine if it was 10% too fat. Or too long cor blimey, wouldn't that be a poor show. Getting more than wot you paid for is just not on in my book, no way.

Flowboy
21st July 2006, 10:40 AM
Couldn' pass this up.

In the Domino brochure, it actually tells you (using two different examples) that you can get 32mm length out of a 30mm dowel. Outstanding!! If they can't proof read...

Rob

nt900
21st July 2006, 10:42 AM
FeSTOOL gone to a new home.

TassieKiwi
21st July 2006, 11:16 AM
:D http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Lignum
21st July 2006, 11:31 AM
Couldn' pass this up.

In the Domino brochure, it actually tells you (using two different examples) that you can get 32mm length out of a 30mm dowel. Outstanding!! If they can't proof read...

Rob

Can you give us more info?

Flowboy
21st July 2006, 01:02 PM
I hate that, wrote it all down and timed out.

First, let me say Lignum, that the dovey's were truly inspired and creative. You should tell Festool about it. (Anthony, could you help?)

O.K.
On Page 9 (the fold out page) in the "At last a system that does everything, there are several examples of uses for the Domino Joiner. The 5x30 has two, one with15/15,
the next with 20/12. That's 32 to me.
Also I've just looked at the comparison of three common joining systems.
I concur with the conlusion, but the data is very dodgy.

No details of weight for each joint or whether they are static or were dropped.
No 3rd dimension to show thickness of timber or dimensions of joint
Arbitrary stop at 14mm
Source of info is their own lab, not an independant lab or impartial supervisor. There's more but thats enough. Its just Marketers selling used cars (have I got a deal for you), but its an insult.

Still thinking about buying a Domino, but with my trusty Triton biscuit joiner on the table and the Leigh FMT which lets me M&T stock from 100mm down to actual matchsticks it's hard to get the final oomph!

Regards

Rob

Lignum
21st July 2006, 01:42 PM
O.K.
On Page 9 (the fold out page) in the "At last a system that does everything, there are several examples of uses for the Domino Joiner. The 5x30 has two, one with15/15,
the next with 20/12. That's 32 to me.

Perfectly simple to me:confused: A 20mm mortice and a 12mm mortice will accept a 30mm tennon with 2mm to spare. 2mm on the ends wont affect strength one bit.

And whats with the dodgy data? and it being an insult? the Domino dose exactly as promised plus more, and its dry fit-up strength is the best ive come across in over 15 years of woodworking.

As ive pointed out before, its good to have opinion and express it and you get feed back, but to bag something saying its dogdy and an insult without ever using it, is a bit harsh

Flowboy
21st July 2006, 02:05 PM

I think I make it clear that I concur with the data.
I still feel the data is not supported and in 25 years of writing Scientific literature, I would never have seen that data would pass scrutiny. So to think it acceptable to the general public is an insult to them and me.
I have not bagged the Domino once, I have questioned it and contributed to threads. You do not know if I have used one therefore please be careful. As to the issue of 30v32mm I stand corrected.
I have and will maintain my own opinions of the Festool organisation based on what I consider reasonable data. I'm sorry it doesn't agree with yours.
I say again show me where I have bagged the Domino or are you confusing promotional literature with the actual instrumnet. If I say I am thinking of buying something to a group of people I only know through aliases, I think I am telling the truth and have no reason to lie.

Perhaps now we can resume civil relations

Lignum
21st July 2006, 02:12 PM
Perhaps now we can resume civil relations

:D its no biggie:D Youve probbably realised by now Domino owner/users are very protective about their little machine and its burgeoning reputation, and when we see the words "dodgy" and "insulting" associated with it, it dosnt come across to well. Maybe you should clarify it a bit better in the first place then this misunderstanding wouldnt have taken place.

Flowboy
21st July 2006, 02:36 PM
Hi Lignum,

Point is taken. Language is all in email. Gotta say though the heat of it all just let me put a Red Ironbark chair leg through the band saw in record time.
I also want to say that I regard your work, lateral thinking and advice very highly. On with the hunt I say!!

Regards

Rob

TassieKiwi
21st July 2006, 03:28 PM
Firstly, I forgot to comment on the DT idea. Fabulous, son!http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif As an accurate plunge router this thing will go far. Possibilities are limited by the operator only! Can't wait to have a go at them.

Re: the above altercation - Don't make a storm in a systainer gentlemen, stick to the facts. Domi will get upset, and Simou may start eating them.

I wondered about that 'test' too, and how 'controlled' it was. In another thread I did my own experiment, and 2 10mm domis in Tas Oak easily supported me (90+kg)in shear, with no movement - no glue was used. Doubtless twin tenons cut the old way :D would perform as well, but the whole experiment was done in 2-3 minutes. One powertool. No measuring required - just do it. In my shop, by hand I would've taken maybe 1-2 hrs or more:eek: , even with the router and TS, to get the accuracy with a twin M&T would require several power tools and setups and maybe an hour

andrewsd
24th July 2006, 06:43 PM
Sorry to have started trouble with my input. Still, I do think it is a bit rough to have outsized dominos in a kit, given the cost of the product. Furthermore, it was the dealer who told ME he was aware of the problem being more general than my experience and it was this idea of many people suffering outsized dominos which I find disappointing.

Having bought the machine, I have to say I like it but consider the hype surrounding it to be over the top.

Andrew

TassieKiwi
25th July 2006, 10:15 AM
Having bought the machine, I have to say I like it but consider the hype surrounding it to be over the top.

Andrew

donner und Blitzem! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Use it some more - you may change your mind! Always good to have a counterpoint though.

D

Lignum
26th July 2006, 08:08 PM

Im starting to agree and im thinking of selling mine and getting another biscuit joiner;)

lesmeyer
26th July 2006, 08:17 PM
donner und Blitzem! :eek: :eek: :eek:

D

Where's the thunder and lightning ???:D
Or should it be bliksem, donner .. wetter
Les:D

patr
26th July 2006, 08:39 PM
Im starting to agree and im thinking of selling mine and getting another biscuit joiner;)1 Day Ago 12:15 AM

Lignum

Me too.
I am sick of the Chief of Staff moaning about how accurate the joints are on all the things I have made with Domi, how quickly I am getting through her List and how she misses the good old days of being able to point out ill-fitting gaps, wonky legs and ....:rolleyes:

I am writing to eldest son to return the joiner tho it may take a while as he is on ops in Iraq. In the meantime, lets start up a recanted biscuit joiner owners thread. :D

John Saxton
28th July 2006, 09:49 PM
I have a couple of questions of the Domino Machine.

(1) How do the cutters perform in serious Hardwood such as those in OZ?
(2) What is the then projected life expectancy of the cutter if using the same one on a continuous basis?
(3) Are the cutters able to be sharpened by a Saw Doctor?
(4) what is the cutting edge of the cutters produced from...is it carbon steel,High speed steel or Tungsten.
(5) Is heat usually generated With cutters on hardwood?

Just some posers before the Visa takes a hiding!!!:D :D :D

Cheers:)

Lignum
28th July 2006, 10:10 PM
(1) How do the cutters perform in serious Hardwood such as those in OZ?

I have used it on Jarrah, Blackwood, Tas-oak and it cuts like a hot knife in butter

(2) What is the then projected life expectancy of the cutter if using the same one on a continuous basis?

No idea, but after giving my 8 and 10mm a hammering in the last 6 weeks they dont seem to be any different to the day i first used them. Having said that, i am constantly getting saw blades, buzzer and thicknesser blades re sharpend. So the Domi cutters apear to be very good at holding their edge re-sharpening value

(3) Are the cutters able to be sharpened by a Saw Doctor?

Dont know. Someone else will answer that as i havnt needed to get them sharpend yet.

(4) what is the cutting edge of the cutters produced from...is it carbon steel,High speed steel or Tungsten.

Tungsten

(5) Is heat usually generated With cutters on hardwood?

No. the side to side movement as it plunges leaves a "bread crumb" type of dust/chips and their is no noticable heat build up. Very smooth Baby she is:)

John Saxton
28th July 2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks Lignum, for your time taken and for the responses to some issues I've had...consider me DOMINATED:D :D :D

Pity you're not on a finders fee'commission:rolleyes:

Lignum
28th July 2006, 10:19 PM
Pity you're not on a finders fee'commission:rolleyes:

Hey i am:eek: Ill PM you my chq acc No;)

John Saxton
28th July 2006, 10:33 PM
Sorry too late Lignum,available funds directed to Miss Domi...you don't get a look in mate:D

She's a winsome wench ...but heck she is nice to hold :p

Gotta admit it I had my reservations particularly costwise ..but you only live once and with a special occasion coming up I thought WHY THE HELL NOT:cool:

Lignum
28th July 2006, 10:38 PM
Good on yu John, welcome to the Brotherhood:D and you are right, you only live once and in a few months the $$$$ will be long forgotten and you will have a very special tool for life:D :D Oh, whats the special occasion?

John Saxton
28th July 2006, 10:48 PM
One of those naughty birffy's :rolleyes: Errr one wiv a Bloody Humugous 0 on the end of it ..a reminder of too many years gone.

Headin' for a short break..just me & 'Er indoors wiv a sadly depleted(insert DOMINO) Visa to partake of a few weeks in the sun!

Now I gotta get out inna Shed when Sustainer of Domino's arrive..hopefully tomorrow?

Cheers and all dominate thoughts to you:)

Lignum
28th July 2006, 10:54 PM
Dont forget plenty of pics (no.... not of your holiday:rolleyes: ) but of Domi in action:D

patr
28th July 2006, 11:58 PM
Welcome to the DAC John and may you have many happy hours with Domi.

Lignum has answered all your questions and I will only add that on Welsh Oak the cutters do go through like the proverbial knife. I have used the 10mm and 6mm cutters the most, having domied well over 300 joints in each size which is more than 600 cuts for each bit. They are as good now as they were on the first cut.

The only heat I have noticed using Domi is the gearbox cover underneath which does get hot after about 10 plunges but that does not affect the performance.

I have collected all the oak chippings in my CT Mini and as I type they are smouldering away in the smoker with two hams much to my Beloveds delight. This is another wizzard wheeze to use for all those trying to justify the cost of a Domi.

I await with interest any tips on sharpening to restore the edge but a new bit is about £18 here in the UK so on the basis that I am an idle sod I will probably resort to my pump action Visa, get a new one and to justify the postage costs, order a Rotex at the same time.:D

Happy Birthday! How nice of the Memsahib to buy you a Domino. What are you going to buy yourself?

Regards
Pat

Honorary Bloke
29th July 2006, 06:23 AM
I have collected all the oak chippings in my CT Mini and as I type they are smouldering away in the smoker with two hams much to my Beloveds delight. This is another wizzard wheeze to use for all those trying to justify the cost of a Domi.

Brilliant Pat! Absolutely brilliant! :D

TassieKiwi
29th July 2006, 03:16 PM
A Domi Day in WA! Welcome to the DarkLime side John, and happy bloody birthday too. I've just cut hundreds of holes in NZ Heart Rimu, that came out of the sawmill 100yrs ago - bloody hard. 5mm bit still sharp as.;)

You will never regret this one mate.

Dennis

John Saxton
29th July 2006, 05:36 PM
Welcome to the DAC John and may you have many happy hours with Domi.

Regards
Pat
THANKS Pat, I've been quietly viewing the Domino sector in the forums for some time tho admittedly with some reservations namely with the cost of the machine and not it's function.Having one now I can see that Festo have maintained the design/engineering as with all their tools(I have a couple others such as the Rotex RO150,& a cordless drill) and therefore now have no regret over paying what I did for it.

With regards to the upcoming birthday I'll probably find something of a nature that I'll use in the shed.

and from Dennis...

A Domi Day in WA! Welcome to the DarkLime side John, and happy bloody birthday too. I've just cut hundreds of holes in NZ Heart Rimu, that came out of the sawmill 100yrs ago - bloody hard. 5mm bit still sharp as.

You will never regret this one mate.

Thanks also Dennis Birthday still a way off yet however could'nt pass up the chance of a Domino particularly with the deal I got....deal or no deal ..no way I was gonna pass up the option moreover since the winsome wench of a dominatrix was there for the first time to cast my peepers over:rolleyes:
Also got a good deal on the sustainer with the Tenons .however major surgery is required in tidying up my shed before I tackle any projects with or without the domino.
Am currently recovering from knee surgery myself so am following Dr's orders in getting the Knee right first.

I can see a whole raft of lesser machines being made to copy the domino, as it is starting to gain momentum in it's application to furniture construction and the ease and strength by the varied and rapid use of its tenons.

CHEERS:)

TassieKiwi
30th July 2006, 11:20 PM
Arrrrrrr John. Never mind about the imatators! Enjoy what you've got! That wee thing will give ya endless enjoyment man!

Lignum
30th July 2006, 11:43 PM
I can see a whole raft of lesser machines being made to copy the domino, as it is starting to gain momentum in it's application to furniture construction and the ease and strength by the varied and rapid use of its tenons.

CHEERS:)

Totaly agree, but Festool will have some form of Patient in place that will cover all the variables. I wonder if thier is a time frame attached? Lamello was all by its lonsome for a few years then others flooded the market Black&Deker/Elu/Dewalt all excactly the same machine different badge/color was the first i can remember (their was the side slide Elu`s). I bought the Black& Decker in `96 and its exactly the same machine as the current Dewalt. Nothing has changed and i paid $500 Not much dearer than the current price.

Those of us lucky to have Domi now have a machine that wont get to much better (maybe some tweaking regarding the cutting action) and when the mass produced machines come on the market they will have the same function, but not the quality of build and accuracy.

My advice, dont wait until the cheaper ones come out in 2 or 3 years, suffer some imediate monetary pain and get Dominatrixed now, the woodworking buzz is worth it;)

warmtone
3rd August 2006, 08:26 PM
I used the Domi over the Week-End to make a new garden gate.....now work in progress using the larger 10 Doninoes of course. I was surprised how quickly I was able to progress the various stages of the basic frame.

My only annoyance was to assume the re- cycled pergola (oregan stock) I was using was all the same thickness...... I have discovered a few mm variation here and there is too much unless you religiously work from a single face.

Now appreciate why so many people rave about the value of a Thicknesser

Incidentally, the Domino is one of those very special tools that makes you feel good - even when it's switched off!:)

TassieKiwi
4th August 2006, 10:12 AM
Incidentally, the Domino is one of those very special tools that makes you feel good - even when it's switched off!:)

Now that's something that Herr Doktor Festool has tried very hard to do - and succeeded too. A bit like having a Austin Healy 3000 in the shed!