PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations

TK1
15th July 2006, 01:49 PM
Hi all,

As I move closer to the actual bulding of a boat (nearly finalised the plan I'll be using, working out how to rearrange the workshop to fit it in, etc) I want to do some more reading on techniques, etc.

Boat will be cold molded, so I'd appreciate any recommendations on books people here have found useful on cold molding techniques, setting up, electrical and engine installation (will be an inboard), etc.

I have lots of books on how to build 18th century ships of the line, but they're not much use un fortunately! ;)

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Darren

Daddles
15th July 2006, 02:25 PM
Any book by Stephen King is good, Clive Barker, Graeme Masterton, Ray Bradbury, Ramsey Campbell, Peter Straub.

Well, you were looking for horror stories weren't you :confused:

Richard:D

jmk89
15th July 2006, 06:00 PM
I think that the Gougeon Brothers (they founded West) book together with the Botecote book and one of the standards on boatbuilding should get you sufficiently confused to ask sensible questions!:D they do it for me!

TK1
17th July 2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks JMK, that's what I'm after. Happened to flick through AABB last night and they reviewed the (new?) 5th Edition, so I'll start there and expand the library as needed.

Daddles, not a big fan of horror fiction...rather go for the real thing, hence building a boat :D . I'm well aware of the adages of "the two happiest days of boat ownership are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it" and similar...and a surf of the net or read through WB or CB classifieds show plenty of "must sell, unfinished project" opportunities.

Mind you, if I could find a restorer or unfinished one at the right price, I'd certainly consider it. But failing that I'll build my own....and promise myself not to sell it until it's finished and been used!

Darren