PDA

View Full Version : Inspection ports

Daddles
15th July 2006, 05:12 PM
Yep, reinventing the wheel again. I'm currently finishing off the front floatation chamber on Sixpence. This, among a lot of other things, includes fitting an inspection port and that involves cutting a hole getting on towards 5" in diameter (I forget the actual number). The past, I've drawn a circle and whacked it out with my jigsaw. Rough, effective and totally lacking in the crisp, clean finish that gives your heart that warm glow.

For my birthday, I was given a set of hole saws. Typically, the biggest one is far too big and the next size down too small :rolleyes:

I was also given a Ryobi laminate trimmer (baby router), this to do things like shaping the edges of bits of wood. Well, I decided to have a go at cutting holes with it. It comes with an L shaped bracket that takes an adjustable fence. The instruction book shows how to cut holes using that fence and a nail as a pivot on the job. Sadly, I can't adjust the fence close enough to cut my sized holes. However, by drilling a hole in the appropriate place on the L bracket, and putting my pivot through there ...

End result.
Router. L bracket mounted to side. Hole drilled in the right place in the L bracket. A nail through the hole, driven into the center of soon to be inspction hole. Thirty seconds of whining by the router and bingo, a neat, round hole that's exactly the right size :D

Richard
sometimes I get it right. I've given up for the day before I do any damage :rolleyes:

meerkat
17th July 2006, 10:13 AM
Good work:D, theres hope for me yet !:D