PDA

View Full Version : Newby to say hello

Billylad
15th July 2006, 05:44 PM
Hi, I must say congratulations to this wonderful forum, as the people who associate with it are terrific for sharing their time and knowledge.
One question I would like to ask, is where I could buy foam backing rod that they use in their boxes. Thanking you for your replies.:)

Bodgy
15th July 2006, 06:09 PM
Hello and welcome, but I don't understand your question.

I'm a bit slow I guess, but so are some of the others here!

Gumby
15th July 2006, 06:13 PM
Hello and welcome, but I don't understand your question.

me either. What's a foam backing rod :confused:

zenwood
15th July 2006, 06:26 PM
I get all my foam backing rod through mail order;). The best foam backing rod is made in Switzerland. The Chinese foam backing rod is OK for the price, but rough around the edges, and inclined to be painted orange. Taiwanese foam backing rod is good, middle-of-the-road quality. You can make your own foam backing rod if you're really keen, but it is time consuming. Try google to search for methods. Make sure the foam backing, as well as the rod are top quality if you're going to go to all the effort of making your own. I.e. the Swiss stuff.

Welcome too, BTW.

Gumby
15th July 2006, 06:37 PM
OH, THAT foam backing rod ;)

Bodgy
15th July 2006, 06:49 PM
OH, THAT foam backing rod ;)

Now I understand. I only ever use the Festool type, which I purchase direct from the Professor Herr Doktor himself.

Gumby
15th July 2006, 07:07 PM
Now I understand. I only ever use the Festool type, which I purchase direct from the Professor Herr Doktor himself.
Now that's intersting. I didn't know Festool made it. I prefer the cheaper stuff though. I use GMC so i can take it back within 30 days if I'm not happy with it. Two year replacement warranty as well. I couldn't justify the cost of Festool stuff. :eek:

chrisb691
15th July 2006, 07:42 PM
SIGH. I still don't know what foam backing rod is. :confused: Will someone please turn the lights on for me. :o

Gumby
15th July 2006, 07:54 PM
SIGH. I still don't know what foam backing rod is. :confused: Will someone please turn the lights on for me. :o

:DIt's rod with a foam backing, available online or made cheap by GMC. Happy now. :D

Zed
15th July 2006, 09:18 PM
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ???? WHAt IS A FOAM Backing rod. I Need to know!!! dont tell me how to make it - tell me what it is and what its used for AAARRHHHHFHFHHFHFHGHGHGGHH!H!!!!! :eek:

Gumby
15th July 2006, 09:21 PM
They go on the opposite side to the usual foam fronting rods. That way, the whole project is balanced and you avoid chipping the edges off them. Just make sure you keep the foam section away from Hard Shellac. I really buggered my last rods. :(

ozwinner
15th July 2006, 09:31 PM
The main use for foam backing rod is for stirring.

Al :p

Zed
15th July 2006, 10:20 PM
The main use for foam backing rod is for stirring.

Al :p

its working...:rolleyes:

chrisb691
15th July 2006, 10:30 PM
:DIt's rod with a foam backing, available online or made cheap by GMC. Happy now. :D

That's got to be worth a moonie. :D

Gumby
15th July 2006, 10:45 PM
its working...:rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

That's got to be worth a moonie. :D

Would you like a rude noise with that ?:D

bitingmidge
15th July 2006, 11:30 PM
All this because of a simple typo. What Billy meant to ask was:
One question I would like to ask, is where I could buy foam backing, Rod, that they use in their boxes.

Now before Rod could answer: "you get the foam backing at Spotlight Billylad, it comes in sheets of various thicknesses", everyone else jumped in and confused the issue.

Foam backing rods though, are available in diameters that will surprise, at a commercial hardware store near you.

I suspect that most boxmakers have little use for 38mm diameter foam rod, but you never know.

(Who's Rod when he's at home anyway?}

Cheers,

P :D

Gumby
16th July 2006, 12:28 AM

(Who's Rod when he's at home anyway?}

Cheers,

P :D

Rod's the guy who makes the backing rods. Aren't you paying attention. :rolleyes:

bitingmidge
16th July 2006, 12:35 AM
Well who makes curtain Rod's then?

P
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Harry72
16th July 2006, 02:46 AM
That bloke called Curtain!

chrisb691
16th July 2006, 08:08 AM
Well who makes curtain Rod's then?

P
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Wsa that a typo. Did you mean to ask 'who makes Rod's curtains?' If so, then I suspect Billylad does. Now he wants to make him some boxes as well. Which would explain the requirement for foam (Rod's).....I think.

Billylad
16th July 2006, 12:47 PM
bitingmidge, thanks for your help, sorry to confuse you all, but I use backing rod for ring holders in my boxes, it is rod wrapped in foam then you put velvet material around the foam, you can then put as many rods as you like, depending how many rings you want to put into it, hoping that explains it all. What I want to know as to where I can buy them pre-made as it is time consuming making them

Bodgy
16th July 2006, 12:52 PM
You learn something everyday.

I've no idea where this stuff may be found, but suggest Googling Jewellery supplies etc.

Gumby
16th July 2006, 01:01 PM
You learn something everyday.

You do too. I've learnt mine for the day so it's out to the garage and listen to the footy.

Welcome billy, hope you enjoy your stay. You have passed the initiation admirably ;) :D

(and Zed thought we just foolin' around:rolleyes: )

zenwood
16th July 2006, 06:25 PM
Onya Billy.:)

The latest FWW magazine* shows how to make ring holders out of a piece of fabric accordion-folded over small blocks of foam, and glued into a divider tray in the box. Rings can be inserted into the folds. Might be kinder on the rings than having them rattling around on a piece of rod and scratching each other.

*"How to make ring holders", Emily Palm, Fine Woodworking, July/August 2006, p. 79

Billylad
16th July 2006, 07:26 PM
thanks zenwood,exactly what I want. Got to go and buy the mag now.

powderpost
16th July 2006, 10:15 PM
Who make foam blocks?
Jim

zenwood
17th July 2006, 10:17 AM
Who make foam blocks?
Jim
I know for a fact that Bunnings has foam that you could easily cut into blocks. Apart from that...craft shops? You could ask Emily Palm herself where she gets her foam from:

http://www.blueheronwoods.com/Contact.htm

AlexS
17th July 2006, 01:37 PM
Don't know if you have Clark Rubber there, but they have various grades of foam. I use it the way Zen has shown, for holding rings.

Gumby
17th July 2006, 01:59 PM
Don't know if you have Clark Rubber there, but they have various grades of foam.

well bugger me :eek: I've been driving past a Clark Rubber store for all these years and I thought it was a giant condom superstore :eek: I didn't know they sold other stuff.

Wongo
17th July 2006, 02:09 PM
I've been driving past a Clark Rubber store for all these years and I though it was a giant condom superstore :eek:

That’s why you never had to go in there. :D

Sorly. :p

Gumby
17th July 2006, 02:11 PM
That’s why you never had to go in there. :D

Sorly. :p

I would have if they stocked XXS :o

Billylad
17th July 2006, 09:35 PM
gumpy --you bragger

zenwood
17th July 2006, 10:58 PM
I would have if they stocked XXS :o
Ah, it's good to have the old Gumby back:)

Wardy
18th July 2006, 11:37 AM
welcome billylad you certainly have passed the test. a great bunch of people on this forum billy, enjoy
cheers wardy:D :D

namtrak
18th July 2006, 11:44 AM
well bugger me :eek: .......

Is that an expression or a direction?

Billylad
18th July 2006, 08:54 PM
Wardy,how could one not enjoy this forum,with all the wit and wisdom, like yours for example

mononeuron
23rd August 2006, 12:54 PM
Well,
If they make Backing rods and as some suggest Fronting rods then it stands to reason that Topping rods and Bottoming rods must also be able to be purchased.
The Topping rods I suppose would be for the lid of the box for extra storage and the Bottoming rods would be underneath the box in a recess to keep all your Most valuable rings/posessions away from prying eyes from the internals of the box.
Just my $0.02 worth.
;)

chrisb691
23rd August 2006, 01:36 PM
Vicrail uses siding rods.

Billylad
23rd August 2006, 10:11 PM
And i thought it was only the scots and irish, who had a good sense of humour