PDA

View Full Version : More things to do with wood scraps.

BobL
15th July 2006, 08:18 PM
SWMBO appears at shed door with a half burnt wooden slotted spoon in hand. Apparently it had been in the diswasher and must have fallen onto the element.

"Make me a replacement"? she says in a cheery voice which suggests it was not me who put it into the dishwasher :p

So I made her three spoons and had enough bits left over to make a pair of salad servers.

Two of the spoons are made of sheoak, while the top one and the salad servers are red-gum all from the fire wood pile.

Surprising good brownie points earned from such simple stuff - I think a trip to the tool shop might be coming up!

Cheers

Pat
15th July 2006, 08:29 PM
Bob, very nice use of small size stuff. I never have "off cuts" anymore, the smaller the stuff is the more inventive you have to be to find a use for it. :D One question why do the spoons have such large holes in them?

I think you wife should let you loose at your favourite toy shop!:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th July 2006, 08:36 PM
Good job, very nice looking utensils! What's the betting the cook'll want more in various sizes? :D

Simple, yes, but it'd take me a while to shape one let alone five. Any particular method?

BobL
15th July 2006, 09:04 PM
Bob, very nice use of small size stuff. I never have "off cuts" anymore, the smaller the stuff is the more inventive you have to be to find a use for it. :D One question why do the spoons have such large holes in them?

Thanks Pat, these spoons are used specifically for making cakes, sauces and deserts, apparently they fold and stir better than regular spoons.

Skewy, already have the next couple of spoons in different sizes (and an order from 3 other people - apparently these spoons are not easy to get hold of) on the bench having their cracks filled with epoxy. Also have 2 hole model drawn up.

The salad servers were just designed around the shapes of wood I had left over, rough cut on a TS and then spokeshave/hand sanded.

The spoon design was obtained by just tracing around what was left of the original burnt one and filling in the gaps by eye. I made the first spoon darkside, ie cut out shape with bowsaw, spokeshave, rasps and hand sanding - took bloody ages!. Have sunsequently retired to the jigsaw, and belt sander (sitting on its back), and dremel for the inside hole - then hand sanding 240/400 grit (this takes the most time). The good old belt sander with an 80 grit belt sure can chew through small bits of wood pretty quickly. A bit brutal and lotsa dust I know but it gets the job done. Sander connected to DC helps enormously.

RufflyRustic
17th July 2006, 10:12 AM
Fantastic Idea!!!!

cheers & Thanks - isn't it my turn to run away with one of your ideas? :D
Wendy

Pat
26th October 2006, 09:56 PM
Had the "kid's" turn up this arvo. As well as wrestle the pups, David & Jess helped with cutting the legs for the new bench + the mortice's. Then the three of us retired to the shed and had a go at making spoons.

I had a piece of "Black Teak", AFAIK it's Crow's Ash (Flindersia australis) that I picked up at the Sydney WWS (Mullumbimby Woodworks) this year. A 10mm board, that has warped a bit, so it was sacrificed for us to play with.

We traced around the last surviving wooden spoon in the kitchen, then cut out roughly with my coping saw, then attacked them with Bastard Rasp, 2nd cut Rasp, Bastard File, 2nd Cut File and finally the Smooth File.

Attacked the flats with the Linisher/Belt Sander (Brand new Bosch Green Beast, I have the burnt finger tips to prove it:D ), Hand sand to 120, the Sanding Sealer (x2), Trad Wax (x2) then EEE.

Alot of fun and when MBGitW got home from the Pickle Factory, she was suprise to see everyone in the shed.:)

MajorPanic
26th October 2006, 11:49 PM
.............Surprising good brownie points earned from such simple stuff - I think a trip to the tool shop might be coming up!

You suck-hole!!

Big, bad Bob brought to his knees by SWMBO waving a broken utensil!!!

Anything to get to the tool shop eh? ;) :D :D :D

A very cunning plan there Bob! Well done. ;) http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Doughboy
27th October 2006, 12:02 AM
Nice work on the spoons and salad forks, headsup don't put them into the D/W just give them a quick wipe over with hot soapy water and dry them off, dont let them stay wet too long and you will be handing these down through the generations just like your tools.

Well done

Pete

BobL
27th October 2006, 02:15 AM
You suck-hole!!

Big, bad Bob brought to his knees by SWMBO waving a broken utensil!!!

Anything to get to the tool shop eh? ;) :D :D :D

A very cunning plan there Bob! Well done. ;) http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Well, I can report it worked, not long after that I got me a nice big DP for my birthday. :D :D :D :D :D

sea dragon
27th October 2006, 12:54 PM
Well, I can report it worked, not long after that I got me a nice big DP for my birthday. :D :D :D :D :D
Have you been given the book "One hundred and one useful kitchen utensils using a drill press" yet?
BTW, I had no problem with your acronym, DP for drill press, but Pat has me beaten with "MBGitW". :confused: :confused: Is something to do with "My better girl in the workshop"?:confused:

Doughboy
27th October 2006, 12:57 PM
Perhaps it is

My Best Girl In The World...

Just a guess

Pete

arose62
27th October 2006, 03:29 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19809&highlight=MBGitW

Close ...

"Most Beautiful"

Cheers,
Andrew

BobL
28th October 2006, 09:55 AM
Have you been given the book "One hundred and one useful kitchen utensils using a drill press" yet?

Not Yet!

MajorPanic
29th October 2006, 07:45 PM
Don't give him any ideas Sea Dragon!!! :mad:

Next thing we'll see is Bob gloating how he skived a Domino outta his Mrs.!:rolleyes:

THEN I'll be REALLY green!! :p :p

Iain
29th October 2006, 08:06 PM

What is a DP, looked up the sexual favous website and couldn't find any reference:confused: :confused: :confused: ;)