PDA

View Full Version : Could only afford small bits.

powderpost
15th July 2006, 10:04 PM
Thought I would do something different, just for a change. Called this one "The Whitehouse". The person that bought it wanted me to cut a hole in the bottom so they could put a light in it. Wouldn't be polite to tell you what was said. Probably better to strain the olives fron the juice??? :)
Jim

powderpost
15th July 2006, 10:08 PM
Forgot to mention, it's about 350mm high and made fron silver ash and brown plum, other common name is matchwood.
Jim

lubbing5cherubs
15th July 2006, 10:23 PM
Mate that is just awesome. You did well.
bye Toni

Bodgy
15th July 2006, 11:21 PM
Awesome is the correct word. I can see how you lay it up and also how you turn the exterior, but whats it look like inside??

TTIT
15th July 2006, 11:52 PM
A change from your usual technique but no less appealing. Very nice indeed:D You're not really going to put a light in it are you Jim????:(

hughie
16th July 2006, 01:11 AM
Thought I would do something different, just for a change. Called this one "The Whitehouse". The person that bought it wanted me to cut a hole in the bottom so they could put a light in it. Wouldn't be polite to tell you what was said. Probably better to strain the olives fron the juice??? :)

Jim,

:D Holes in it a , are, the voice of the uninitiated. I think at times we all have to suffer this.
For a bunch of little bits, it has come together really well, fine looking piece.
hughie

Gil Jones
16th July 2006, 01:32 AM
Very nice work!!

Hickory
16th July 2006, 02:12 AM
Although you feel it is an insult to your work, The buyer has the right to modify it in any way she/he feel appropriate. Having said that, I sometimes feel offended when whomever recieves my work either uses it for an entirely different purpose or make alterations, but it is still their choice.

An interrior lighting might even be a very unusual and artistic method of displaying such a piece. It is an artform more than a practical piece and some feel that there may be a need for practicality. What else would one do with an open segmented piece other than sit it on a shelf and admire it. To each his/her own satisfaction. When you see the piece you are reminded of the details and the procedures you followed and the trial and tribulations during the process, these bring back memories of why you got into the process to begin with. The buyer sees the form as a whole and not the parts that went into its being. Therefore the buyer sees the piece with his/her purpose, be it an art form to display or a utility for that will enhance their space.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th July 2006, 02:18 AM
Maybe so, Hickory, but to ask artist to do the deed? IMHO that shows a serious lack of tact. How do you think Rembrandt would've felt if someone wanted one of his works and asked him to "cut it up and hem the edges so it'll make a quaint tea-towel..."?

As you said, once they get it home that's their business... but if it was one of my pieces and I found out about later, I'd be inclined to add a boor tax to the price if they ever wanted to buy another of my "children." ;)

ss_11000
16th July 2006, 01:42 PM
awesome stuff jim......

hughie
16th July 2006, 07:39 PM
[As you said, once they get it home that's their business... but if it was one of my pieces and I found out about later, I'd be inclined to add a boor tax to the price if they ever wanted to buy another of my "children." ;)
[/QUOTE]

:D :D well said, mods are best left done away from the artiste. hughie

powderpost
16th July 2006, 10:00 PM
Hickory, of course you are right. After I cooled down, I did suggest the elctrician bore the hole, there was no way I would do it, even if it meant loosing the sale. I have seen the piece since and it wasn't turned into a light. It is owned now by the president of the Seychelle Islands. I am often asked, "What can I use this for". My answer is, "What do you use the paintings on the wall for?" The penny usually drops and the realisation that the function need not be practical, but to enjoy the piece for what it is worth.

Bodgy, I normally finish the inside and seal it with a coat of lacquer.

I can also report I lost one layer because I pushed the glue too hard. That didn't tickle me fancy very well.
Jim

Tassie Boy
16th July 2006, 10:16 PM
That is very awesome stuff mate....
That must take a lot of patience!

Auzzie turner
17th July 2006, 01:24 AM
Looks real nice, Hope to see some more,

Regards......Joash

Hickory
17th July 2006, 01:34 PM
I see the point Post-of-powder :o To alter the piece after he takes it home is one thing but to ask the artist to desecrate his own work is another. (I seem to be recanting a lot lately, must be something I'm drinking.) Still, If you are making product to vend to the fellow with pockets jingling, you must accept their quirks as part of the business. If you are headstrong and get insulted at their deviation from the master plan, then give the pieces to museums and galleries that will allow display in the fashion created but don't expect to make a living at sales of your works.

Although I am not a conisuer of Segmented wares I do find the work intriguing and hope to some day produce such items. I am working on learning the techniques and have amassed the important parts for constructing a thickness sander to prepare the segments, etc. When the Round-2-it drops a load on my door and the Honey-dos are done, and I have equipped myself with prepared readiness I will embark on such and then my attitude may change or chunks may fly and I am dazed by the inabilities that I truly have.

I'm sure that the hours you spent in preparedness and the care with each wedge, sliver, and curl that spiraled from the spinning chunk as you looked through the glued up mass to see that loverly form was kicked in the Go-nads with "Could ya drill a hole in her fer me Mate!"

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th July 2006, 06:46 PM
'Sides, what's to stop the twit from just running a bit of 8-flex through one of the existing 'oles? It's not like there's any shortage of 'em. :D