PDA

View Full Version : Pink Stuff

grayman
16th July 2006, 01:14 PM
Hi gentlemen, I could do with a bit of your advise on my wooden boat retoration. In removing old paint (coates of red, yellow green blue grey white & blue antifoul) i have come across pink filler which appears to be an automotive bog. ? Could this be right or am I barking up the wrong treee. Its been used above and below the water line and has been there for some time judging by the number of coates of paint over it. The other question is in relation to the teak deck which has started to bow up on the edge of each board, ? should this be just sanded flat or is tis a sympton of another problem. The boat is a 17ft open couta boat design with a blaxland twin. I would appreciate any help or advice given as i am only learning this capper. Grayman:)

The Hun
16th July 2006, 11:39 PM
The pink stuff may be Red Lead - a primer that is not really used anymore.

Regards

Peter

Tony Hunt
17th July 2006, 09:29 AM
The bowing teak may be a worry. It suggests the planks are backsawn rather than quartersawn timber (You can tell by looking at the grain pattern). Even if planed flat backsawn planks will continue to cup and this will make it very difficult to keep the deck smooth and, more importantly, keep the deckseams watertight.

Does the boat have a ply underneath the teak? How are the seams looking? Is it all the planks or just a few? The answers to questions like these will dictate the best course of action.

meerkat
17th July 2006, 10:19 AM
hi Grayman,

from my early days helping my dad fix up his boat, if it's like another coat of paint, then like Peter says it's most likely red lead.

If it's thicker than a thick coat then yep bog is more likely.

Any photos ?

Regards
Andrew

grayman
17th July 2006, 11:19 AM
The pink stuff is definitely a filler & not red lead. Red lead has also been used though and is the first coat applied to the boat & most likely its the original paint. the deck boards are not laid over ply but laid direct on the deck frame but as they have been fixed by a nail gun iam thinking maybe they are not strong enough. It may also be that its not teak :) and i need to investigate further. thanks all for your comments i really do appreciate your assistance. Grayman

meerkat
17th July 2006, 01:38 PM
and where is the boat ?:D

grayman
17th July 2006, 02:31 PM
watch this space meerkat Grayman:p

onthebeachalone
17th July 2006, 06:08 PM
The pink stuff is definitely a filler & not red lead. I have come across a few "bodgie" jobs (and amateur builders) using automotive bog. In fact, I have plans for a Stevenson Projects Pocket Cruiser which advises using "...catalysed polyester autobody putty to fill all gaps...", along with galvanised steel screws to hold it together. I guess it depends how you choose to get the most boat for the least dollars.

meerkat
17th July 2006, 06:23 PM
... galvanised steel screws to hold it together. I guess it depends how you choose to get the most boat for the least dollars.

Gal Screws :eek::eek::eek:

But then again whatever floats your boat ;):D

onthebeachalone
17th July 2006, 06:37 PM
But then again whatever floats your boat ;):D... for a season or two. :rolleyes:

grayman
27th July 2006, 11:46 AM
:D Well, i think I am sure (if you know what i mean ) that the pink stuff is auto bog. Was looking through the whitworth's catalogue & noticed that they sell a product called "Septone polyester putty" which is a pink colour. Anyway i am about half way in stripping the outside of the hull and have not found any major problem although i have yet to start on the
inside. Having read Wild dingo's posts iam too scared not to do the inside and in any event he is right & it would be stupid not to do the inside as i know there are some sister frames required. ? is the dingo fence north south or east west. There will be no gal screws bolts nuts nails etc on my boat. For those of us who want boat i hope these photos come out. The lacco is my other wife. grayman

meerkat
27th July 2006, 12:47 PM
For those of us who want boat i hope these photos come out. The lacco is my other wife. grayman C:\...mypictures\picture\wodalla\sv400018.jpg c:\...\picture\wodalla\emilymary\picture 911.jpg

Hi Grayman,

the photos didn't come out and appear to be pointing to their location on your hard disk. Did you use the attachment option when you were posting the message ?

Andrew

grayman
27th July 2006, 12:50 PM
oppp, no photos dumb grayman

grayman
27th July 2006, 01:06 PM
meerkat, bad day allround, been outside removing paint & found more bog than on nightcartmans truck, i think this means trouble, nevermind i can always sell the other wife. i did use the attachment option and when the little box opens up (Iam exicited) i typed in the address on my computer. I think i was born in the horse and cart era and need to try again ? any suggestions. Grayman

meerkat
27th July 2006, 01:56 PM
meerkat, bad day allround, been outside removing paint & found more bog than on nightcartmans truck, i think this means trouble, nevermind i can always sell the other wife. i did use the attachment option and when the little box opens up (Iam exicited) i typed in the address on my computer. I think i was born in the horse and cart era and need to try again ? any suggestions. Grayman

Hi Grayman,

yep I know what you mean and the chances are that you won't get as much as you think you should for the other wife ;):eek::D

I have sent you a PM to help you post the piccies but I didn't mention the attachments button is the paperclip not the Insert Image button.

Regards
Andrew

grayman
27th July 2006, 02:19 PM
Here goes, another try for photos, thanks meercat. graman

grayman
27th July 2006, 02:30 PM
Tthe little boat is what it looked like prior to me doing the improvements. This is the photo i should have posted. Grayman

meerkat
27th July 2006, 02:41 PM
Much better :):)

Nice piccies and nice boat

Daddles
27th July 2006, 04:31 PM
She's a nice craft ... when you can see her ;) :D

Richard

grayman
2nd August 2006, 11:58 AM
When I see her I usually see another problem.It looks like i need to replace 4 planks and as she is seam batten construction am I correct to assume that the battens are not glued to the boards And yes I know to never assume.;)