PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum???

Wardy
16th July 2006, 03:41 PM
this box is made from an old seat that was salvaged.the timber is hard and dense so a very sharp edge on my tools had to be maintained regularly.i think it is red gum, but if anyone could verify the type of timber that would be appreciated.the lid is huon pine veneer attached to 6mm ply.the banding is 6mm wide.the box dimensions are 320x220x75mm.the wall thickness of the sides are 12mm.
cheers wardy
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=26552&stc=1&d=1153024642
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=26553&stc=1&d=1153024683
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=26554&stc=1&d=1153024719
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=26555&stc=1&d=1153024765
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=26556&stc=1&d=1153024804

rowie
16th July 2006, 04:02 PM
very,very nice box wardy!if not redgum, i would say jarrah.more likely to have been used for a seat.the grain underneath the lid(rhs) looks too coarse for redgum.
again, nice work.well done for giving an otherwise peice of firewood/landfill
aother lease of life

Coldamus
16th July 2006, 04:11 PM
Everything about it is beautiful. I love the contrast between the Huon and the darker wood. The banding really sets it off.

Where do you get the banding and how is it applied? Sorry if that's a silly question. Until recently I haven't taken much interest in box making but I think you've given me the incentive to get started.

regards
Coldamus

Sculptured Box
16th July 2006, 04:47 PM
Can't help you with the identification of the timber, however I can say that is a nice box - well done!

Tony Ward

BobL
16th July 2006, 04:47 PM
very,very nice box wardy!if not redgum, i would say jarrah.more likely to have been used for a seat.the grain underneath the lid(rhs) looks too coarse for redgum.
again, nice work.well done for giving an otherwise peice of firewood/landfill
aother lease of life

I agree it looks like jarrah but jarrah is not usually all that hard. It's pretty hard to tell what some timbers are by pictures alone. What's the finish Wardy?

Wardy
16th July 2006, 05:28 PM
Everything about it is beautiful. I love the contrast between the Huon and the darker wood. The banding really sets it off.

Where do you get the banding and how is it applied? Sorry if that's a silly question. Until recently I haven't taken much interest in box making but I think you've given me the incentive to get started.

regards
Coldamus
hi coldamus, i'm glad this has revved up your creative juices.the banding was from veneer inlay aust, with which i purchased over the net. to fit the banding i routed a groove the same width as the banding. route to a depth so it ends up a little bit proud of the veneered surface of the lid.i dry fit the banding so it all fits nice and snug,then glue it in and let it dry.plane, scrape and sand to finish flush with veneered lid.
cheers wardy

KRH
16th July 2006, 05:55 PM
Excellent box.
Looks like Jarrah but it is a bit difficult to tell.
Jarrah, not hard! I find it pretty hard but then again I have not done any Redgum work.

Wardy
16th July 2006, 06:02 PM
I agree it looks like jarrah but jarrah is not usually all that hard. It's pretty hard to tell what some timbers are by pictures alone. What's the finish Wardy?
hi bob
2 coats feast watson floorseal(tung oil based) sanding in between coats with worn 600grit wet and dry and then finishing off with bees wax(home made)
cheers wardy

DJ’s Timber
16th July 2006, 06:28 PM
G'day Wardy

Nice looking box, top effort
It looks like River Redgum to me, I have some laying around that looks like it is exactly the same
It normally has a distintive smell when being worked

Cheers DJ

BobL
17th July 2006, 10:11 AM
Excellent box.
Looks like Jarrah but it is a bit difficult to tell.
Jarrah, not hard! I find it pretty hard but then again I have not done any Redgum work.

I always used to think jarrah was a "hard" wood but after working with a range of WA red and white gums I now think that its one of the softest. Last friday I was working with a bit of gum from the Pilbara and that has made me redefine "hard". Interestingly it was hard to cut but relatively easy to sand, it was like it was almost "brittle"?

AlexS
17th July 2006, 01:42 PM
Looks great Wardy, great contrast. My guess is red gum

DanP
17th July 2006, 04:57 PM
If that's not a nice old bit of RRG I'll go hang myself from one of the hundreds of thousands of them within 50 k's of here.

Dan

Wardy
18th July 2006, 11:42 AM
If that's not a nice old bit of RRG I'll go hang myself from one of the hundreds of thousands of them within 50 k's of here.

Dan
i believe you dan, and thanks to all for your imput:)
cheers wardy

TTIT
19th July 2006, 01:15 AM
Beautifully done Wardy:) - Jarrah or Redgum - doesn't matter - still a beautiful box:D

BobL
19th July 2006, 02:22 AM
hi bob
2 coats feast watson floorseal(tung oil based) sanding in between coats with worn 600grit wet and dry and then finishing off with bees wax(home made)
cheers wardy

Noice one! That would probably be my preferred type of finish as well.

Flint
24th July 2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Wardy
Great box and a nice finish. Did you router the slot for the inlay?
Flint

zenwood
25th July 2006, 01:43 AM
No wonder Coldamus was inspired. This box is magnificent. The choice of timbers, the joinery, the inlay, and the finish are all superb, and very classy. I also like the way the gradation in tones on the bottom piece give it a fluted appearance.

I thought beeswax was a no-no for finishes because it attracts dust and fingerprints. Is your experience different? (I've never tried it myself, just read that it wasn't as good as 'Traditional Wax'.)

Greenie, etc.

Wardy
25th July 2006, 11:54 AM
hi zenwood,when i machined up the timber i received a pleasant surprize with the wavey grain and varigated tones. regarding the wax i've had no probs over the years using it. to make it i melt 300g bees wax and then add 400mls turps and 40mls boiled linseed oil,let it set and your in business.
hi flint ,yes the router was used for the banding.
thanks cheers wardy :)

mononeuron
23rd August 2006, 12:12 PM
Hi Wardy,
Just how much time was invested in it and how much would any of the forum members expect to sell something like this for? Would you pay $150 or more??
I have seen some nice small boxes in the shops with a wonderful finish to them for jewelry etc and they were charging $125+ and they look about 1/2 the size of your box and had no detail......just a box with an insert.
Very beautiful indeed. I shall have to go and make one now on my homemade CNC router and add some detailed carvings to the lid insert. You all give me inspiration in this forum.
Rich.

Wardy
24th August 2006, 05:32 PM
hi mono,
this box took approx 35-40 hrs to make.the more detailed the box is the more you expect to pay.sorry but i can't answer for the other members of this forum on the costing of their work.i would charge for my box considerably more than the one you saw in the shop.it's great to see that the members of this forum have given you inspiration, there are a lot of talented box makers here.i think i can hear your timber calling you ;) :D. have fun and enjoyment what ever you create
cheers
wardy :)

Sculptured Box
24th August 2006, 07:23 PM
On the question of pricing, forget the number of loving hours spent in the making - sadly buyers are not interested in the journey!

Selling attributes, (1) use of recycled timber; (2) size/functionality (ideal for document storage); (3) ease of access; (4) appearance/finish.

Price - I'd say at the top end craft/market/exhibition $185.00 upwards, shop/gallery $250 upwards.

But as always it is a matter of matching the product with a buyer!

However given the number of hours invested, I'd reckon it's worth more than the figures above, starting price $300.00!

Wardy
27th August 2006, 12:47 PM
On the question of pricing, forget the number of loving hours spent in the making - sadly buyers are not interested in the journey!

Selling attributes, (1) use of recycled timber; (2) size/functionality (ideal for document storage); (3) ease of access; (4) appearance/finish.

Price - I'd say at the top end craft/market/exhibition $185.00 upwards, shop/gallery $250 upwards.

But as always it is a matter of matching the product with a buyer!

However given the number of hours invested, I'd reckon it's worth more than the figures above, starting price $300.00!

thanks tony, welcomed advice:)

ribot
9th September 2006, 07:02 PM
Nice box!
I'd bet a cray or two that it's redgum.