PDA

View Full Version : Spa in hob has movement

Carlos
16th July 2006, 10:50 PM
hi guys,
lm a first time owner builder and lm doing some of the work myself but most of the time lm just ripping my hair out..lol
l recently set the spa bath in a mortar mix and the spa base bonded with the mortar, but l noticed while the plaster was on the spas-hob plastering he steped on the spas edge and the spa tilted breaking the bond with the mortar now the spa has movement up and down but not sideways,the spa was set 10mm up from the hob to slide the tiles under.
there will be tiling right around the spa/hob with the tiles sitting under the spas rim and then a bead of silicon betwen the tiles and spa, lm thinking once it siliconed the spa wont have that movement as it will be held down by the silicon and tiles. (l hope)
now my question is am l right with my thinking ?
or do l need to rip the cement sheets off the side and secure the spa to the mortar?
and if l do need to secure it what type of adhesive would l use?

journeyman Mick
16th July 2006, 11:47 PM
Carlos,
usually a bath or spa is supported right around the rim by the hob and/or wall. The mortar mix (actually you should use a very stiff concrete mix - "compo") only supports the base, The hob shpuld be a snug support right around the rim which will stop any movement.

Mick