PDA

View Full Version : Cross breeding

TTIT
17th July 2006, 12:15 AM
After following Ern's thread on making your own tools and reading pro's and con's on the Munro and Proforme hollowing systems, I thought it might be worthwhile crossing the two. I've never even seen either of the tools before, let alone used them but I've never let a lack of exposure stop me before ;). I bought an old style Proforme off Ebay a couple of months ago and wasn't really happy with it:(, but I imagine the new type works much better.
I am so stoked about the results I'm getting with this setup that I couldn't wait to refine it before showing it off. In trials this avo' I was cutting end grain, chatter-free, clean and steady with 280mm overhanging the rest!!! :eek::D I reckon it could have gone more but ran out of handle!!!:o It's like a controlled dig-in, this thing doesn't even feel like it's cutting anything sometimes but the shavings prove otherwise:). If ever I've felt like I should be patenting something, this has gotta be it.:D

With a bit of materials help from McJing's and Hughie (our forum Hughie - not the big guy upstairs!), I managed to make this hollower for less than $20 and as you can see in the pics, there isn't much to it. The bar is 5/8" stainless but would work almost as well in mild steel. Sliced the flat section on the bar with a 1mm cut-off wheel in the angle grinder. Drilled a 4mm hole for the screw to hold the cutter in place (2 small washers between the flat and the cutter to keep the alternate edge off the flat). Drilled and tapped a 5mm hole off centre to attach the guard. Attached the guard base (5mm flat) and positioned the rough shaped guard for welding. Removed the cutter while I welded the guard and base. (Another advantage of this design - the cutter can be removed/flipped without moving the guard.:)) The biggest part of the whole process was shaping the guard which was mainly just file-test-file-test etc. Had a little trouble with clogging until I tapered the underside of the guard up to the centre of the hook but from there on it worked fantastic. The hole in the guard base is slightly oversized so the guard can be adjusted the same way as the Proforme.

I'll be changing the bolt that holds the cutter to a countersunk head for better clearance when side cutting and changing the guard bolt to a cap head to avoid clogging (not that it has caused any yet). I'll also machine the back end down to 1/2" to fit in the Proforme handle (currently just mounted in a piece of 5/8" pipe - a bit cold and skinny). I will leave this one straight shafted as it will be doing all my deep hollowing and I'll now make another bi-swivel version for undercutting. I feel that weakening the shaft with swivels would allow chatter to creep in for deep work.

TTIT
17th July 2006, 12:17 AM
Tried to pin the young bloke down long enough to take some pics of the stream of shavings flowing out of it but he had "more important things to do" (like laps!) so you'll have to take my word for it. The couple of shots he did take almost show how well it works.

Auzzie turner
17th July 2006, 01:22 AM
seeing as your going into end grain, its pretty good.

give us the formula how to make it,

Regards......Joash

Gil Jones
17th July 2006, 01:31 AM
TITT, that is a great looking cutting tool. Is the cutter commercial, or did you turn it from HSS?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th July 2006, 01:33 AM
So, are ya taking orders for the TTIT Promunre?

Pity you're in the fake Emerald in QLD and not the genuine one here in Vic... ;)

TTIT
17th July 2006, 08:44 AM
TITT, that is a great looking cutting tool. Is the cutter commercial, or did you turn it from HSS?

Gil - $10 from a mob here called McJing. Don't know what the Munro costs but I think it is only one-sided which is another con' on it's part.

Gil Jones
17th July 2006, 12:28 PM
TITT, $10 is a good price for a HSS circular cutter, especially one with two cutting faces.

hughie
17th July 2006, 12:52 PM
After following Ern's thread on making your own tools and reading pro's and con's on the Munro and Proforme hollowing systems, I thought it might be worthwhile crossing the two. I've never even seen either of the tools before, let alone used them but I've never let a lack of
[QUOTE]If ever I've felt like I should be patenting something, this has gotta be it.:D
Well this being posted on the forum has stuffed that idea.......:( Inventions have to be new and the moment we publish our ideas they are regarded as old. :mad:

Drilled and tapped a 5mm hole off centre to attach the guard. make

On the Munro the screw attachment is from the bottom and the hole through the body of holder is slotted to allow adjustment. This gives easy adjustment and protection to the screw head re dwarf,sawdust etc.
With the Munro theres a bit of a tendency to clog around the guard, your idea should sort that one out. good one!
My swivel head has a m8 cap screw of which I tighten up as much as I can. Between the two I place a internal star lock washer. This spring loads the swivel head and also provides a simple anti slip/twist device. So far its proved successful.

TTIT, smart thinking, have a greeny :D :D :D
hughie

Ironwood
17th July 2006, 01:40 PM
Ttit, ingenious thinking, you have given me some ideas to try something a bit different. have never been very happy with my original Woodcut hollowing tools, even more unhappier now that both of my cutters are broken on them

rsser
17th July 2006, 03:33 PM
Neat stuff TTIT.

For an articulated job you might pick up Skew's idea and grind a flat face on the rod to resist the twisting forces.

That of course won't let you shear cut but you could devise a reversible mount for the tip.

btw Munro cups are available from Carroll's Woodcraft for $20 a pair. And the mark 2 aren't compatible with the mark 1.

TTIT
17th July 2006, 06:09 PM
btw Munro cups are available from Carroll's Woodcraft for $20 a pair. And the mark 2 aren't compatible with the mark 1.
Didn't know there was 2 models in the Munro. Are the cutters double sided Ern?

rsser
17th July 2006, 06:23 PM
No TTIT. Was just posting that for the benefit of Munrovians.

Mark 1 versions are slightly smaller in diam than Mark 2 btw. Mark 2 kit has articulated links (short and long) with as Hughie mentioned a fixing screw on the underside. Mark 1 came with selection of three mounting rods from straight to seriously bent - no swivelling links; that's the version I use. Very good on end-grain too. Mark 2 kit is about $350. See www.cws.au.com

Would love to see Rolly Munro demo these things; always figure I'm missing something. Might be a message there ;-}

Fireman sam
17th July 2006, 09:06 PM
hay ttit
I see your a chip off the block
andrew

TTIT
17th July 2006, 10:41 PM
hay ttit
I see your a chip off the block
andrew
Don't tell him that;)....................he wouldn't believe you anyway!:D

Hickory
18th July 2006, 04:24 AM
The key would be that "keeper" atop the cutter, right? It acts as a limiter and chipbreaker similar to the cap iron atop the plane iron in a hand plane. Prevents deep gouging cuts while allowing a good flow of chips to safely remove the waste. And hold the cutter in place.

When will these be available on the market? Shipping to US?

hughie
18th July 2006, 01:31 PM
When will these be available on the market? Shipping to US?
[/QUOTE]

TTIT, What you need is the direct approach to marketing this fabulous new idea. ;)

I am prepared to sacrifice my time for a extensive all expenses paid tour of North America [say 6 months ]to demonstrate the wonders of this new tool. :D
hughie

TTIT
18th July 2006, 06:08 PM
TTIT, What you need is the direct approach to marketing this fabulous new idea. ;)

I am prepared to sacrifice my time for a extensive all expenses paid tour of North America [say 6 months ]to demonstrate the wonders of this new tool. :D
hughie

Never know Hughie, I might take you up on the offer yet! ;) Gonna give this thing a workout on the weekend and if all goes well I'm going to try and get some of the locals to try it for some feedback. Really need to find people who have used both the competitors rigs for a biased opinion.:rolleyes: If it works as well as I believe it does, there could be a need for some marketing!:) :) :)

Auzzie turner
18th July 2006, 07:33 PM
I'm going to try and get some of the locals to try it for some feedback.
Am I classified as a local?:confused:

rsser
18th July 2006, 10:33 PM
Go AT! Offer to demo it at the WWW show in Perth.

Auzzie turner
18th July 2006, 11:29 PM
Go AT! Offer to demo it at the WWW show in Perth.
Too late, Ive allready taken the job

rsser
19th July 2006, 08:33 AM
So you're only demo-ing Carba-tec tools?

OGYT
20th July 2006, 10:52 AM
TTIT, since I read your first two posts in this thread, I've been looking for tool ends like yours. Haven't found them yet. That's exactly what I need with my shaky hands. Proforme and Munro. Never heard of 'em, but then I lead a sheltered life. :o
Still looking, in Texas.

TTIT
20th July 2006, 01:55 PM
TTIT, since I read your first two posts in this thread, I've been looking for tool ends like yours. Haven't found them yet. That's exactly what I need with my shaky hands. Proforme and Munro. Never heard of 'em, but then I lead a sheltered life. :o
Still looking, in Texas.

You can find them here (http://www.mcjing.com.au/woodworking/index.htm) under the H.S.Steel section (bottom of the page). They refer to them as 'ring tool blades'.
The Woodcut 'Proforme' and the 'Rolly Munro' hollowers both come from New Zealand and are apparently good tools but are out of the average turners price range:o .

La truciolara
20th July 2006, 11:43 PM
You can find them here (http://www.mcjing.com.au/woodworking/index.htm) under the H.S.Steel section (bottom of the page). They refer to them as 'ring tool blades'.
The Woodcut 'Proforme' and the 'Rolly Munro' hollowers both come from New Zealand and are apparently good tools but are out of the average turners price range:o .
too true! that's why i use the spindle gouge as far as I can, and then pursue with an ordinary Hamlet swan neck... produces beauty cheaply ;)

rsser
21st July 2006, 10:16 AM
If you google and find Fred Holder's turning site, somewhere there is a collection of tool reviews done by Lyn Mangiamelli (spelling?). The Munro is covered and maybe also the proforme. Lot of other interesting stuff too.