PDA

View Full Version : Which Router?

maxdangerous
17th July 2006, 06:19 AM
G'day Peoples,
I'm after a router to use in a Router Table that I'm about to build.
I was going to buy the big Porter Cable (3 1/4hp) that Carbatec used to sell but used to sell isn't much good to me now.:rolleyes:
So now I'm wondering if you guys could recommend one that would do the job nicely, and lets say for argument sake that price doesn't matter ( he says hoping you won't recommend Festo or something else that will make a huge dent in the bank account)
Or would I be better off buying a shaper is another question I was wondering.
So in a nutshell.... basically.... I'm buggered if I know which way to go at the moment and would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks for your time.
Max

Mirboo
17th July 2006, 07:28 AM
I don't have one, but stuff I have read on this forum suggests that the largest of the Triton routers is ideal for use in a router table. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find heaps about it. It has quite a good name/reputation.

My only router is a Festool OF 1010 EBQ. Its a little ripper. I use it for handheld work. I don't have a router table.

Flowboy
17th July 2006, 08:04 AM
Hi Mirboo, (did you ever know the Hatherlys of Mirboo North?)

I would recommend the largest of the Tritons as well. It's heavy, but powerful and has a soft start which is always nice when you're playing with delicate timbers. It has a 1/2 inch shank, which accomodates a 1/4 adapter obviously, but the change is simple and straightforward. Everything about it says "put me in a table"

Regards,

Rob

BobL
17th July 2006, 10:16 AM
I've used 3 routers in router tables (GMC, Hitachi and the big Triton). Of these I think the Big Triton is the best.

Cheers

Mirboo
17th July 2006, 10:24 AM
Hi Mirboo, (did you ever know the Hatherlys of Mirboo North?)
I didn't know the Hatherlys. I lived on a farm about 7 kms out of town from late 1973 until early 1988. I then left home to go to Uni. Were they there during this period.

My parents sold the farm at Mirboo North about 3 or 4 years ago.

Gumby
17th July 2006, 10:34 AM
Yep, I agree, the Big Triton is the best table mounted router available. The price of about $350 won't break the bank either. Get one. ;)

scooter
17th July 2006, 10:41 AM
What I hear about the Triton suggests it would be the darks narts for your router table, just to give another point of view though I have the hitachi M12V & am very happy with it for use in the table or handheld.

The above table bit changing, integral spindle lock, and rack & pinion height adjust/microadjust of the Triton are hard to go past if it is going to be mainly used in the table.

Cheers................Sean, variable speed :)

Flowboy
17th July 2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Mirboo,

I think they would have been there then. I knew their son Chris, but only visited the farm once, sometime around '73. (I feel old!!)

Regards

Rob

maxdangerous
17th July 2006, 09:41 PM
Seems like the Triton might be the way to go.
Thanks for the help fellas
Cheers
Max:)

Template Tom
18th July 2006, 10:00 PM
Seems like the Triton might be the way to go.
Thanks for the help fellas
Cheers
Max:)
The Triton router was designed for use in the router Table so you cannot go wrong
Tom

dazzler
18th July 2006, 11:06 PM
Hi Max

I agree the big triton is the ducks guts.

But for 1/2 the price (or 2/3s if you get the fantastic xtreme xtension collet for above table changes) u can do what i did with a Ryobi ERT2100 )

see here;

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28207&highlight=spring

The Ryobi is powerful, variable speed and around $145. Add in the xtreme xtension at $110 and you get similar functions to the triton.

good luck whichever way u go.

cheers

dazzler

Template Tom
19th July 2006, 10:16 AM
Has anyone used the new Hitachi Router yet?
I know there has been little complimentary remarks regarding it's looks. What is important is how it performs.
I have been asked to demonstrate it at the Perth wood show next month and I was wondering if anyone had any remarks regarding its performance. I have had great satisfaction from the previous models so I am looking forward to using it at the show
Tom

Rbro71
19th July 2006, 05:28 PM
If a spindle is an option and you know someone who can teach you how to use one I would look to go down that path. the outlay at the start is a lot greater but in the long run it will save you as cutters are cheaper than the same router bits and do a better cut. I have a triton router in a table which I still use for very small bits. but all my large router bits go straight in the spindle and the set ups to use them are twice as quick and 10 times less frustrating.

maxdangerous
19th July 2006, 09:19 PM
Most of my work is cabinet making.
Would it be worth my while to go for the spindle option over the triton or am I being a bit over the top.
At the moment I only build items for myself and the occasional job for friends or family, but I've been thinking about starting to produce items to sell.
Is it possibly better for me to go the spindle moulder option?
The extra expense isn't a problem if it's going to be better for me in the long run.
Thanks again
Max

Shannon Nash
19th July 2006, 09:37 PM
Ive used a Triton, Hitachi, ELU, Makita and Casals in router tables. The Triton and Hitachi have a collet that is not as deep and seem to not grip the bit as well. The ELU, Makita and Casals all have excellent collets that are deeper and have more slits in them and a 'double clutch' mechanism that is superior at gripping the bit. The collet has got to be the most important feature of the router! (IMHO)

All seem the same in bit height adjustment apart from teh triton which is slightly better.

You can pick up a CASALs router on EBay at the moment for ~$200 new delivered. They are freud routers elsewhere in the world. It is however 1900W so about 20% less power than a Hitachi or Triton.

The Makita 3612C would be my choice but $500 is a bit steep.

Cheers and good luck.

Auld Bassoon
19th July 2006, 09:51 PM
Hi MaxD,

I think that you'll find that most professional joinery shops use spindle moulders rather than routers and tables. If you have the need to make a lot of mouldings, etc, then the spindle moulder is probably the way to go - but a word of caution: make sure that you get some proper tuition as these can be vicious beasts perfectly able to remove fingers, arms, etc without a pause...

maxdangerous
20th July 2006, 12:25 PM
Hi MaxD,

- but a word of caution: make sure that you get some proper tuition as these can be vicious beasts perfectly able to remove fingers, arms, etc without a pause...

Most of the skills I've aquired in the past have been through just having a go, reading and watching hours and hours of Norm on the New Yankee Workshop.
As I don't know anyone that I can go and ask for advise apart from you guys, should I maybe sign up for a TAFE course or join a club to learn the essentials?

Rbro71
20th July 2006, 04:58 PM
Look for a wood club near you some one on this forum might know of one.There they will proberly have one, or have a member who has one that would be willing to show you.The tafe might have a course you could do but the fundermentals of a spindle are the same as a router table just on a bigger scale.Safety is the same keep your fingers ,arms ,head ,leg away from the spiny thing in the middle of the table and you will be fine.All jokes a side you have to learn about setting up the cutter blocks changing blades and you can improve safety with a power feed.Unless you bought a 3 phase industrail machine you would only be using small cutter blocks with blade limiters.And most single phase spindles around have router collets for them so you could use them anyway.I would only look at the 3 horse power spindles with at least a 30mm spindle so factor that into your price