PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum, could use some advice.

LuckyTurner
17th July 2006, 07:55 AM
First post
My senior year in high school is coming up and I am wanting to do a hanging light fixture, with 4 to 6 lights that flay off of it. The only thing is, is I don't know a good process of making wooden lampshades on a lathe or what kind of wood to use. If anyone can help with what type of wood to use and the process in which doing them, they would not be large shades but smaller ones. I would be very much appreciative.

Thankyou,
LuckyTurner

This is a link to my project for my junior year of high school. It is an artistic vase, measuring 16-17 inches high, walnut/ash/ a piece of red woood forgot the name, 309 pieces. I won the lathe competition at the oklahoma industrial arts state competition. Again thankyou for any help you can give me. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/coleakasunshine/my_photos
post if for some reason the pictures don't come up.

hughie
17th July 2006, 01:14 PM
My senior year in high school is coming up and I am wanting to do a hanging light fixture, with 4 to 6 lights that flay off of it. The only thing is, is I don't know a good process of making wooden lampshades on a lathe or what kind of wood to use. If anyone can help with what type of wood to use and the process in which doing them, they would not be large shades but smaller ones. I would be very much appreciative.

Lucky,
What your after is a bowl with a hole in it.......something we all do from time to time :D That is we take too much outa the bottom :D

Anyway welcome to the forum, theres a few guys your age here so you wont feel outa place.

As a model go to a lighting store and look around for shape that you want and duplicate it.

Turn the shape thin [ say 3/16" ] all in one piece held from the bottom. Finish it off right down to the last detail. Then using a pair of dividers set at size of hole you want mark the bottom of the vessel -- on the inside and then gently turn out the centre to the divider marks until the vessel pops off and hand finish the remainder.
If your gonna use it you may have to drill some ventilation holes near the base of the shade.

hughie