PDA

View Full Version : Throwing sticks for pottery

dan_tom
17th July 2006, 07:42 PM
Hi everyone

Something different to share - some throwing sticks made from western red cedar (and one from ply as an experiment). Throwing sticks are great when you are wanting to throw a large vase and can't get your hand inside the pot (we're talking wheel thrown pottery here!). The wood has to be light in weight otherwise your arm can get sore from holding a heavier, denser timber at an angle.

The joins are done with purbond.

Plus a photo of one of Dan's coffee cups made using a throwing stick - fresh out of the gloss fired kiln!

Cheers
Tom

Harry II
17th July 2006, 08:08 PM
:) they look like good "honest" tools to me dan tom, what's that saying, um, necessity is the mother of invention. I'm tipping you'll get the odd jibe amout them in the following threads. I haven't thrown anything on a potters wheel but I can see how you/people get into it. I'd reckon thir would be heaps of scope in what you could do with a stick and a lump of clay.

urban-wombat
17th July 2006, 08:22 PM
Hi Tom I like the sticks nice work..how long has Dan been potting? the rim of the mug looks just a tad on the sharp side..
Col .. ex-potter

dan_tom
18th July 2006, 05:05 PM
Hi Col

Danielle has not been potting for long - although she's done enough coffee cups to fill the cupboards! Lots of experiments with glazes and shapes - must be the scientist part of her coming out!

Cheers
Tom

Harry72
18th July 2006, 11:34 PM
Throwing sticks for pottery... had me wondering!
Funny looking things, so they work the inside of the pot... a potters deep bowl gouge!

RufflyRustic
19th July 2006, 08:45 AM
Wow - you guys are amazing!!

Whatever next! :)

I'll happily be a guinea pig and test the new design:o
Any chance I can order a bluey-purpley coloured coffee mug?:confused: I just broke my favourite one last weekend:mad:

Cheers
Wendy

Jill
19th July 2006, 10:37 AM
Great work, Tom - and Danielle - lovely pottery, too!! I've always wanted to do pottery, but never have...yet! I want to give the kids that opportunity, too. What sort of wheel and kiln do you have?

Cheers,

Jill

Wardy
19th July 2006, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone

Something different to share - some throwing sticks made from western red cedar (and one from ply as an experiment). Throwing sticks are great when you are wanting to throw a large vase and can't get your hand inside the pot (we're talking wheel thrown pottery here!). The wood has to be light in weight otherwise your arm can get sore from holding a heavier, denser timber at an angle.

Plus a photo of one of Dan's coffee cups made using a throwing stick - fresh out of the gloss fired kiln!

Cheers
Tom
hi tom
gave up on the pottery and turned my Venco into a disc sander, my woodwork really appreciated that.
cheers wardy
:)

Wardy
19th July 2006, 01:09 PM
Hi everyone

Cheers
Tom
forgot to mention great throwing sticks and equally great coffee mug
cheers wardy:D