PDA

View Full Version : oil and poly mixture

Billylad
17th July 2006, 10:35 PM
wondering what is ,or if, there is a correct ratio mixture in using danish oil and poly, and also what storage life expectance:eek:

echnidna
17th July 2006, 10:45 PM
equal parts oil, poly and turps

Billylad
18th July 2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks for reply echidna and would you know shelf life if mixture is left in jar.Sorry for being pain ,but the only way to learn is to ask a lot of annoying dumb questions

banksiaman
19th July 2006, 09:47 AM
BillyLad,

I use a 25% PolyU in Danish Oil, no turps.
I think it really depends on what you want it for.
I think Echindna's would be thinner with the turps, so would penetrate more, and would need more coats??? (I'd be interested in Echnidna's thoughts).
I find the life when mixed depends on the amount of PolyU in the mix, and how quickly it dries (polymerises). Mine, if mixed with resonably fresh PolyU and Danish Oil, will last a couple of months in the winter, but only a month in summer if there is a minimum of air over the mixture. It appears to last longer, but as it thickens slightly, it doesn't work as well.
Life depends on air over the mixture, age of ingredients ( the PolyU may have started to polymerise in it's can before you mix it) and temperature.

Moral, use fresh ingredients, store in a cool place with minimum air in the container (use a smaller container if needs be), and try to mix up only what you need for the job.

Experiment with mixes to find one that suits YOUR needs.

Chris

Billylad
19th July 2006, 09:23 PM
thanks banksiaman will stick to the moral of the story.