PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc or Bonham chuck inserts

Tristan Croll
12th August 2002, 04:30 PM
Hi all,

In a couple of weeks I'm going to be moving into a new apartment with http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif a small shed. This means that after approx. 9 months retirement, my little lathe is going to be getting some use again. To celebrate, I've decided to splash out and invest in a decent scroll chuck.
However, there's a small problem. My lathe (a little no-name I picked up from the Trading Post last year) comes with a rather non-standard spindle - 7/12" diameter x 7 turns at 14 tpi. Do Vicmarc or Bonham make more inserts than are listed in the Carba-Tec catalogue, or do I need to get one custom made?

Thanks,

Tristan

Jim Carroll
12th August 2002, 08:19 PM
Nova have a 3/4" x 14tpi insert which suited their early lathes and is actually a pipe thread if this is the same as your lathe . If not then yes you will have to get a blank insert and take it to your local engineering factory and have it adapted to your lathe.

Tristan Croll
13th August 2002, 05:09 PM
Thanks Jim. That's pretty much what I expected. Luckily I'm on reasonable speaking terms with the guys in the engineering workshop here at Melbourne Uni, so I may be able to talk them into doing it for me.

Tristan

Tristan Croll
2nd September 2002, 04:16 PM
Update:

As of 1:00 today I am the proud new owner of a Vicmarc VM100 chuck. One of the nice people at the engineering workshop is busy making a piece to adapt the spindle to the insert that came with it. I've also bought my first ever u Beaut product - a bottle of sanding sealer. I'm afraid I can't justify buying a bottle of shellawax until I finish my current tin of... finish, but it's there on the shopping list for when I do.

Tristan

jamesy
3rd September 2002, 10:04 PM
Tristan
Hope that old original Woodfast is waiting for you when you when you get home to Brisbane. Easy to get inserts for too.

Tristan Croll
4th September 2002, 09:54 AM
Sure is - along with that big pile of timber we cut, which should be very nicely seasoned by the time I get back.
On another note, the guy at the workshop finished the adapter piece for me... unfortunately it seems he slightly mismatched the thread - it goes onto the spindle for about 4 turns before sticking fast. I really don't want to waste any more of his time, since he was doing the job for free, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good commercial engineering workshop within the Melbourne area?

Thanks,

Tristan

RETIRED
4th September 2002, 11:22 AM
Gooday.

Tristan, buy yourself a tap of the right size and run that through.

Engineers cut thread on a lathe and to get a good match you need to take the spindle. A tap is invaluable for doing other stuff with later as well.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"