PDA

View Full Version : Melb Tool Drool Sat 23rd July

scooter
18th July 2006, 11:28 PM
Gday all

Reminder that the drool is on this Sunday 23rd July 9am-1pm at Hawthorn, Vic

Check out the details here. (http://www.htpaa.org.au/nextsale.php)

Never been before? Check out here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=23163) and here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=30408) and here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=10152).

Anyone else going? I'll have the 3 apprentices with me as the bride will be away for the weekend. Don't forget your forum cap for ID :)

Cheers......................Sean

Cliff Rogers
19th July 2006, 10:48 AM
Heading is misleading....

23rd is Sun, not Sat.

Iain
19th July 2006, 11:50 AM
Heading is misleading....

23rd is Sun, not Sat.
That was to give you time to get down here and experience our balmy weather:rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th July 2006, 05:55 PM
I plan on being there, but I'll be incognito.

The ugg boots and foil under the beanie might be a giveaway though... :rolleyes:

Waldo
20th July 2006, 01:10 PM
G'day Sean,

I'll be there but I might be in disguise as the Forum caps haven't come to surface yet. Been looking forward to it for a while now. I'll be there from when the starting gates open until about 10:30.

scooter
20th July 2006, 11:21 PM
Gday Chris, should see you there then :) . I'll be there at 9ish with the young fella (2 daughters now going to friend's house), forum cap wedged on :D

Should be easy to spot each other, we'll be the only ones without the shaggy beards ;) :p

Skew, keep an eye out for us & come & say g'day :)

What've you blokes got on the list?

Cheers..................Sean

Waldo
20th July 2006, 11:55 PM
G'day Sean,

In particular I'm on the look out for a Record 43, a moving fillister for myself and anything else that grabs me and some lathe chisels for my FIL.

Should be able to spot you, I'll be on the lookout for a bloke with a forum cap and I'll be the bloke swinging a viking axe clearing others out of the way so we can get to the tables. :D

Skew'll blend in with all the other shaggy beards, normally I'd blend in too but I have my once weekly shave on Saturday nights. :)

MarpleMan
24th July 2006, 09:34 AM
Went looking for a blck plane. Ended up with a Stanley 60. Very happy with it. Works well with little fettling. Bought some tools for my 4 year old toolbox. He was very happy.

I didn't think it was as packed as last time. About 40 in line when arrived at about 8.45.

Waldo
24th July 2006, 10:50 AM
G'day,

Thought the same as MarpleMan, in that the crowd was down a bit. I got what I was after - a moving fillister plane, a Daveco (?) copy of a Reord 43 and a gouge chisel for FIL. :)

I overheard that the next Tool Drool is in November.

Did you get to it Skew? Sorry I couldn't get you there - had to go on to other places from the Tool Drool.

scooter
24th July 2006, 10:25 PM
Gday all

Dunno about the crowd, my memory's not so hot when tool lust takes over! :D

I managed 3 wooden spokeshaves in varying states of disrepair, a matheson woody plane iron & cap, a small metal marking guage, and a well used wooden mallet for $2 ! (Been "gunna" make one for years, usually just grab a chunk of something solid when needed, done & dusted now - for $2 that's one "gunna" off the list ! )

Said g'day to Waldo (nursing his treasures too :p), lanky lad that he is. :p

'Nother drool done, 'nother nice morning had by self & young scooter.

Cheers....................Sean

Waldo
24th July 2006, 10:31 PM
Said g'day to Waldo (nursing his treasures too :p), lanky lad that he is. :pCheers....................Sean

G'day Sean,

And they was mine too! I saw you lusting over them. ;)

Watch out with that young bloke of yours - if he was counting all those planes, imagine what he could be doing next time, better hide that wallet - unless of course he's buying them for me.

lanky lad that he is. :pCheers....................Sean

I just stood in the chook poo longer than most, that's all - unless you're just short. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th July 2006, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately, my schedule was rearranged by other parties. :( Apparently, "being neighbourly" and fixing a bloody fence is more important than anything that I could possibly arrange. :mad:

It sounds like Scooter managed to score my spokeshaves, dammit!

Sometimes I hate my life.

scooter
25th July 2006, 12:23 AM
Watch out with that young bloke of yours - if he was counting all those planes, imagine what he could be doing next time, better hide that wallet - unless of course he's buying them for me.

Reckoned he got over to over 1000 :rolleyes: :D Kept him occupied & interested anyway, half the battle :)

...unless you're just short. :D

Could have a point there... ;) :D

Sorry you couldn't make it, Skew, from what Chris said it sounds like your careful avoidance of cleanshavenness would fit right in... :p

Left more wooden spokies than I bought, plenty for you next time, mate. :)

Cheers.................Sean

Clinton1
25th July 2006, 01:05 PM
Waldo,
Did you get a good deal on that moving fillister? Don't have a pic do you?
Edit:
I am down in Melb, and missed the Tool Sale - no car down here and could not be bothered getting a taxi to the train station - damn Melbourne with its no busses on Sunday policy!

Waldo
25th July 2006, 01:20 PM
G'day Clinton1,

I'll get a pic of the planes whern I next go down to the shed for you. Yep, prices on what I got weren't too bad. I'll post details of it all with the pics later this arvo. :)

Waldo
25th July 2006, 09:11 PM
G'day Clinton1,

What a busy day getting all my stuff done before we fly up to Brisbane tomorrow. I finally got the shot downloaded, so here you go.

(Damnit the shot is blurry)

Picked up the fillester for $12, and seeing as I've seen cruddier ones go for $30 and upwards I thought I did OK. It hasn't got a nicker but that didn't worry me. I could've got another one from the Tool Drool Sale for $20 in real beaut nick with a nicker, but seeing as I may yet be modifying it for sliding dovetails I thought the $12 version would be sufice.

What I'll do if I do if I go down that path is make a new bed for it at a 10º angle to cut s/dovetails, otherwise I'll use it as is. The other plane, the Shamanco will also be modified for the same purpose.

All in all nt a bad morning was had. Next time I'll pick up a few wooden rebate planes - bloke in the back has them for $2-$6 a pop, so even if I buy some just to get the irons from I think it'd be worth it. :)

Not pictured is the goube chisel for FIL.

Clinton1
25th July 2006, 11:04 PM
Worth it just for the brass bits at that price, mate. Good score!