PDA

View Full Version : Clubs around Melbourne's East

maxdangerous
20th July 2006, 12:51 PM
G'day Folks,
Can anyone recommend any clubs to me for the Eastern side of Melbourne.
I'm interested in learning some better skills for the tools I have just recently added to the hoard. (Table saw, Thicknessser, buzzer and looking at buying a spindle moulder)
To be more specific, Wantirna, Boronia, Knoxfield region.
Thanks
Max

Phil Spencer
20th July 2006, 04:26 PM
G'day Folks,
Can anyone recommend any clubs to me for the Eastern side of Melbourne.
I'm interested in learning some better skills for the tools I have just recently added to the hoard. (Table saw, Thicknessser, buzzer and looking at buying a spindle moulder)
To be more specific, Wantirna, Boronia, Knoxfield region.
Thanks
Max

Try the Ferntree Gully Woodworking Club, don't know what its like I have donated my old woodwork magazines in the past the seem lie a good bunch of blokes but too old for me. They are off Glenfern Road behind Safeway.

Regards

Phil

Gumby
20th July 2006, 05:28 PM
Have a browse through this thread...

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=23342&highlight=waverley

maxdangerous
21st July 2006, 07:48 PM
Cheers Gumby, will do

maxdangerous
21st July 2006, 07:49 PM
oops, thanks to you too Phil

MarpleMan
26th October 2006, 06:49 PM
try www.woodworking.org.au (http://www.woodworking.org.au)

located in Box Hill

old_picker
26th October 2006, 08:33 PM
Try the Ferntree Gully Woodworking Club, don't know what its like I have donated my old woodwork magazines in the past the seem lie a good bunch of blokes but too old for me. They are off Glenfern Road behind Safeway.

Regards

Phil
I actually go there and its great. Nice bunch of blokes, many you could classify as old blokes but actually have a lot knowledge young dudes wouldn't have so dont let that put yer off. They have a large well equipped workshop and is open 4 nites and 5 days a week. Got bandsaws, tablesaw, router tables, buzzer, Radial arm saw, drop saw, power tools and hand tools by the kilo, 6 or 8 lathes, sanding area with scroll saws.

You pay $100 per annum and go for a half hour tour of the workshop going over the big machines, safety etc and away you go. The do a lot of community wok like toys for xmas, raffles etc etc. take your own wood or buy bits from their cache.

get on down there ASAP
Knox & District Woodworkers Club 45 Glenfern Road FERNTREE VALLEY VIC 3156 Tel: 03 9758 3920 Email: [email protected]
they have a website but its off the air right now

Phil Spencer
27th October 2006, 09:42 AM
I actually go there and its great. Nice bunch of blokes, many you could classify as old blokes but actually have a lot knowledge young dudes wouldn't have so dont let that put yer off. They have a large well equipped workshop and is open 4 nites and 5 days a week. Got bandsaws, tablesaw, router tables, buzzer, Radial arm saw, drop saw, power tools and hand tools by the kilo, 6 or 8 lathes, sanding area with scroll saws.

You pay $100 per annum and go for a half hour tour of the workshop going over the big machines, safety etc and away you go. The do a lot of community wok like toys for xmas, raffles etc etc. take your own wood or buy bits from their cache.

get on down there ASAP
Knox & District Woodworkers Club 45 Glenfern Road FERNTREE VALLEY VIC 3156 Tel: 03 9758 3920 Email: [email protected]
they have a website but its off the air right now

Tried the woodworking club process I belonged to one in the far outer east suburbs of Melbourne (not the Ferntree Gully club)I put in a lot of work and donated equipment. The thing that put me off was the politics and rat bag element. I will continue to support various clubs where I can but at the moment I am happy to beever away on my own and keep to my self.

Phil

old_picker
27th October 2006, 10:42 PM
Tried the woodworking club process I belonged to one in the far outer east suburbs of Melbourne (not the Ferntree Gully club)I put in a lot of work and donated equipment. The thing that put me off was the politics and rat bag element. I will continue to support various clubs where I can but at the moment I am happy to beever away on my own and keep to my self.

Phil

I got sick of using the communal tools that were abused by many of the members but all in all I got a good start with woodworking machinery and I have pretty much all I need at home 12 months later.

Politics and ratbags??
Get together with any group of humans and there will always be those 2 things. I try hard not let that sort of stuff get in the way of what I am attempting to achieve.

I found it a very rewarding experience and I am going back there soon regular like to take up wood turning, something I don't have rooom gor here