PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed -routering a 21st key?

HotChips
20th July 2006, 09:36 PM
Hi, I need advice on routing a groove all around the edge - say set in about 5mm in from edge all around the complete shape of a wooden key ( a 21st key).
Its been cut out on a bandsaw and there are quite a few short angles and curves. It looks a bit plain just cut to shape so I was wondering what the best way to go about this is?
What "bits"/parts would be suitable? Is routing the way to go or is there a better solution

scooter
21st July 2006, 12:13 AM
Gday chips, I'll have a dip :)

Make a blank false base for your router, attach it & plunge the chosen (small dia) bit through, creating a zero clearance base. Screw a small bearing (smaller the better, maybe off another router bit?) to the false base so that the closest distance from the edge of the bearing to the cutting edge of the router bit is 5mm.

To do the job, stick the key to your benchtop with double sided carpet tape, stick some other pieces of same thickness timber around it for stability (with an inch or so edge clearance to not foul the bearing), locate the router with the bearing against the edge of the key, plunge the bit in and work your way around the key anti clockwise (correct feed direction to keep the bearing against the edge.)

Key points - ensure you rotate the router as you progress around the key so that an imaginary line drawn between the centre of the bearing & the centre of the bit is perpendicular to the edge at all times, otherwise the 5mm gap will vary. Don't pause in one spot or you will likely leave burn marks. Because of the zero clearance base the groove will likely pack full of chips, will only be shallow though I'd reckon so shouldn't be a drama.

You will only get one pass at it (a deeper second pass will likely show up) so have a good practice go on some scrap to get the hang of it and get the look right.

Bit fiddly but doable & an interesting challenge.

Good luck..............cheers...................Sean

HotChips
21st July 2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the great advice. Will have a try tonight. Gotta see if I have a small bearing bit, but sounds a challenge I'm looking forward to! Just hope I get it done ok. Looks like practie on alot of scrap alright.
cheers

echnidna
21st July 2006, 04:21 PM
A template is the way to go.