PDA

View Full Version : Paint Removal

darrenyorston
21st July 2006, 10:24 AM
I am interested in the opinion on the need to fully remove existing paint before repainting or whether a light sanding to ensure a good surface is sufficient.

Additionally either way mechanical means is going to be the prefered option. Since the area I want to repaint is the top of the coapings on my new boat is curved a belt sander is really not the best for the job would a small orbitol sander be ok?

And lastly could a sander be driven from an inverter? One of the Ryobi orbitol sanders specs indicate 400watts however I expect this is the constant draw and not start up demand.

Daddles
21st July 2006, 11:41 AM
Whether you need to take all the paint off depends on what's there.;)

Paint removal has been covered before in the boat forums so a search would help you dig out a few more ideas.

Heat is the best option - heat gun with a hand held scraper. You'll be amazed at how much effort you'll save. The paint strippers are a good option too. Using a sander before you're down to cleaning up the scraped, stripped, crappy surface is just a waste of time, effort and sanding belts.

Richard

meerkat
21st July 2006, 12:05 PM
If you want to take it back to wood and prime/undercoat or varnish it etc then yep i'd have to agree with Daddles. Heat gun.

Strippers are good but I find a tad messy. The dog doesn't appreciate it either:eek::D

By far the best option, they take the bulk off, leaving far less to sand later. Just be sure to wear the right protection (mask etc) and keep any live tissue away from the hot end ;):eek:

Of course if the aim is just to pretty it up then a sand to roughen it up and of course make sure the paint is the right stuff to put over the existing coat(s):o

darrenyorston
21st July 2006, 01:16 PM
If you want to take it back to wood and prime/undercoat or varnish it etc then yep i'd have to agree with Daddles. Heat gun.

Strippers are good but I find a tad messy. The dog doesn't appreciate it either:eek::D

By far the best option, they take the bulk off, leaving far less to sand later. Just be sure to wear the right protection (mask etc) and keep any live tissue away from the hot end ;):eek:

Of course if the aim is just to pretty it up then a sand to roughen it up and of course make sure the paint is the right stuff to put over the existing coat(s):o

Since it's going to be done whilst the vessel is still in the water I could not imagine waterways would be too keen on chemically removed paint dropping into Sydney Harbour. Off course I shall confirm when I buy paint but my preference would be too sand back what needs to be done and recoat if that's possible. I would expect that at some point my partner will decide she would like a different colour and I will be doing it again anyway!

I shall search the forums for previous topics.

And finally none of the strippers I have seen are messy. What places do you frequent?

Daddles
21st July 2006, 01:25 PM
What places do you frequent?

Darren, there are some questions we do NOT ask on this forum :eek:

Richard