PDA

View Full Version : wattle

weisyboy
21st July 2006, 06:49 PM
is wattle n e good for turning there is a property that has just been cleard and it was coverd in wattles that were rungbark over 60 years ago.

echnidna
21st July 2006, 07:01 PM
some wattles are ok, some are not.

cedar n silky
21st July 2006, 11:16 PM
some wattles are ok, some are not.
Theyd be b---dy hard by now!!
G/day Bob. Great photos on your website! Iam wishing i had continued on after Wilsons Prom and Melbourne to explore a bit further along the western coast of Vic. Maybe next time! Your certainly a prolific contributor to the forum, averaging 5.5 a day!! Congratulations Echidna!
Cheers:)

journeyman Mick
21st July 2006, 11:28 PM
If they've been standing dead for more than 60 years I reckon they'd make good fire wood (either that or they've gone dozy and will make good mulch).

Mick

bdar
22nd July 2006, 10:35 AM
Weisy if it silver or black wattle it will be ok, the heart wood is hard as an borers seem to attack the sap only. That is what I have found with the black and silver wattle that I have cut. There is a timber up north that is called black salwood which I think is a member of the wattle family but not as hard as the black wattle. That is up Cliffs way he may have more info on that one.

rsser
22nd July 2006, 01:33 PM
Take some cuts and see. Some kinds get shot full of grubs when dead. The only two bits of wood drying in my 'bank' that had grub holes were wattle - sorry, couldn't tell you what type. When rough turned then dried other bits came up well.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2006, 04:51 PM
Bob's spot on... it depends on the species. So I'll second Ern and also say "cut it and see."

I've found that most wattle's I've come across are pretty bland, except for the borer struck ones. And the species that seem to be prone to borers are generally 'orrible to turn... but worth the effort in the end. Typical, eh wot?

Mind you, I've only turned locally grown wattles (VIC) which are only a small sample of what's out there. So, I'll repeat: "cut it and see." ;)

rsser
22nd July 2006, 05:24 PM
Yep, hate to know how many species of Acacia there are and how much data you have to have to identify one.

weisyboy
22nd July 2006, 07:13 PM
they were silver wattle and lambs tail

the rural fire brigade was out today and burnt the lot

echnidna
22nd July 2006, 09:37 PM
theres about 800 different acacias.
No I dont know their names.