PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Jewellery Box

Bully4
21st July 2006, 09:48 PM
This another box made as a birthday present, this time for my sister-in-law.

Again it is made of Cedar with the top recessed into the sides. The sides were meant to be a little more decorative in that the corners were meant to come out to a point. Note to self, dont try and remove the excess from the sides with a surface planer/jointer!!!!!

Anyway, I was able to recover from that and just trim down the sides to square and continue with the box.

It is sanded down to 1200 grit on the outside and 400 grit on the inside and finished with OrganOil.

For the ring holder, I buy Foam Backing rod from Clark Rubber and cover it with felt and then hot melt glue it onto some dense foam.

The idea for the box came from an old English Mag that my uncle gave to me (Cant find the Month/Year at the moment).

One day I'll make it as it should be.

DPB
22nd July 2006, 09:32 AM
Bully, interesting box with an attractive finish.

What are its dimensions? Why did you not intall the box liner all the way around the inside of the box, i.e. next to the ring holder? To me it stands out like an omission, intentional or not.

Hickory
22nd July 2006, 09:55 AM
I like the box, but more importantly to me is the ring holders. How did you construct them? I have been renching with the idea for some time and have not come to a good conclusion as to how to construct such.
the simplistic of your design plus the detail for crisp clean lines make for a good box. I like It. But please share the details. I am not too sure what "Foam Backing rod" is... Am I dense or is this something we here in KY don't kno of, yet? Where does one obtain such or what ever it is?

Bully4
22nd July 2006, 11:17 AM
DPB,

The dimensions are 185mm x 125mm x 100mm.

The box liner is all the way around the box. Having a look at the pics it does not show it clearly enough as it does blend in with that ring holder end of the box.

Hickory,

The foam backing rod I buy is from a shop called Clarke Rubber. It is a cylindrical shaped foam, which you can purchase in any length you wish. Not sure what it is supposed to be used for, but it is great for ring holders. I got the idea from the Australian Woodsmith magazine No. 45, where they were making a jewellery chest. (Pg 45).

I then cut the rod to size and wrap felt around it after applying some spray adhesive, then glue it into the box.

Bully

Sculptured Box
23rd July 2006, 10:46 PM
Bully4

Nice work, hope to see more in the near future!

zenwood
23rd July 2006, 11:32 PM
Very nice box Bully4. I love the ring holders and the split-level design. Is the liner but-joined at the corners or mitred -- hard to tell from the photos?

I can recommend a block plane to trim the sides of small boxes like these. Might give you more control than a jointer machine;)

Is this the first example of this kind of ring-holder on the forum?

Bully4
24th July 2006, 06:45 PM
zenwood,

the liner is but joined.