PDA

View Full Version : Plans for a Rose Engine?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2006, 06:30 PM
OK, so I've decided to build myself a little Rose Engine. I know that somewhere amongst my years of mags there's a 3 or 4 part article on building one to suit a router, using a hinged headstock oscillated by a small oval cam that requires a minimum of metalwork. I'm a woody, after all!

The problem is... which mag? I've scanned through all my copies of the UK mags "Woodturning" & "The Woodturner" and what a job it's been, too! :rolleyes: Not there, so that leaves me with the towering piles of the UK "The Woodworker" or our own "The Woodworker" & "Aus. Wood Review." (I don't buy US mags... for no real reason other than I prefer a bit more substance to "bling." :( )

I really don't have that much spare time... so I'm hoping someone else out there recognises the articles I'm talking about and can help hasten my search?

[fingers Xed]

echnidna
22nd July 2006, 06:40 PM
Have a look at this aussie website
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/o-rosego.htm

echnidna
22nd July 2006, 06:42 PM
After Looking at the website I realised I just found something else to put on the GUNNADO LIST

echnidna
22nd July 2006, 06:52 PM
And I've even got a 2 way vice in the shed,
somewhere, but in which shed I dunno -
probably with the new dehumidifier that I can't find,
I just hope I didn't put it in a safe place coz that's the sorta stuff that's gone forever.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2006, 06:53 PM
BINGO! That is THE engine that was featured in the mag. I recognise both the peg-board, headstock and some of the photos. I also vaguely remember seeing a prototype of that same engine, which used rubber bands to hold it all together. I really gotta find that mag article, which is a step by step "how to build"...

Me? Following PLANS? :eek:

It's a nice little device, isn't it? It has been in my TBQ (To Build Queue) since I first saw it, I've just been waiting on my turning ability to match my desires. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, you've made my day. Greenie launched.

Edit: reading the link, I see it actually tells me which mag & issues 'twas printed up in. Another case solved satisfactorily! :D

echnidna
22nd July 2006, 06:58 PM
I saw another website recently with one too but didn't bookmark it but a google mighjt be worthwhile.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd July 2006, 07:15 PM
I've seen a few different plans for them, but that is by far the simplest to bulid. Later I may branch into something more versatile & complex, although I don't expect to. Just making a decent indexing plate is enough of a challenge for me...

BTW, when you find your "safe" place can you make sure there's not a bag of hardened steel trammel points in there too? I put 'em in a "safe place" about a month or so ago and, well... :o

echnidna
22nd July 2006, 09:36 PM
I think I hid the safe place inside a safe place and its dissapeared into its own fundamental orifice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan
22nd July 2006, 11:12 PM
He mentions issue 65 and 66 of Woodturning magazine but I remember seeing it in the Australian Woodworker magazine, starts in issue 107 (http://www.skillspublish.com.au/awwbackindex107.htm) .

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd July 2006, 01:21 AM
Thanks Dan, that's probably the one I have. After all, I've already been thru my turning mags without success, so I'm guessing I don't have #65 & 66.

jamesross
13th August 2006, 07:58 PM
Hi Skew
Part 1 is in the Australian woodworker Jan/Feb 03
Part 2 is in March/April 03
Part 3 is in Sep/October 03 can copy and fax if required.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th August 2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks, mate, they're the ones. On hunting through my mags I've found one of them but the other two seem to have gone AWOL. I'm not a particularly happy chappy 'bout that.

Still, I've enough info from the website to have made a start; I'm far enough into it that it's become a "shelf-job." :rolleyes: I spend a few mins on it here and there, as time allows, but otherwise it'll be living on a shelf for another... oh... 5-10 years at this rate. :o

jamesross
13th August 2006, 08:47 PM
No problems, i've had the plans for some time and still have'nt got around to starting to make a rose engine

tashammer
2nd September 2006, 04:04 AM
http://www.rgmwatches.com/engine.html

has a bit bit about rose engines and their use in watchmaking. The machine that that bloke who makes small containers and kaledescopes and who's bookmark i didn't note, seems to have a similar machine, designwise though he built it himself, he tells us, repeatedly.

I wonder if you could build one combining the ideas of stitch pattern cams from sewing machines and that drawing tool Spira...graphix? can't remember the rest of the name.

Oh, then there is:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/aa-ot.htm

you probably have these, but they are new to a newbie :-)

Gil Jones
2nd September 2006, 06:16 AM
Skew, for 'only' £6,000 GBP [or $14,983.80 AUD] you could have one ready to go, plus freight, of course.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOLTZAPPEL-ANTIQUE-ORNAMENTAL-WOOD-TURNING-TOOL-LATHE_W0QQitemZ220023014922QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3126QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hughie
20th September 2006, 02:10 AM
Skew, for 'only' £6,000 GBP [or $14,983.80 AUD] you could have one ready to go, plus freight, of course.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOLTZAPPEL-ANTIQUE-ORNAMENTAL-WOOD-TURNING-TOOL-LATHE_W0QQitemZ220023014922QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3126QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
[/quote]

Gil
Arrrggggh! :eek: :eek: $15k......will make my own. :D I would not be game to use it.

At the Local Woodshow this year there was a oval turning lathe. It caught my eye but could not hang around long enough to see it going

kenneth.widdall
21st September 2006, 07:50 AM
Hi Jamesross l would like to have a go at making the rose lathe if you would like to e,mail me a copy of the plans l do not get the Australian woodworker over here in the uk. Thank you .Ken

jamesross
21st September 2006, 08:11 PM
Hi Jamesross l would like to have a go at making the rose lathe if you would like to e,mail me a copy of the plans l do not get the Australian woodworker over here in the uk. Thank you .Ken
Hi Ken, will do as soon as I can get the plans scaned into the computer.

tashammer
26th September 2006, 01:40 AM
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeharr/lawler.htm

Ray Lawler
The Lawler Gear Corp.
1320 SE Hamblen Rd.
Lee's Summit, MO 64081
816-525-0002

Did you see the one above, it sounds formidable:

"... Standard ornamental turning equipment includes an Ornamental Slide Rest, Spiral Apparatus (16 gears for threading and spiraling), Curvilinear Apparatus (for full length tracing on the lathe), Overhead Drive System, Universal Cutting Frame and cutters, and the Drill Cutting Frame and cutters. Standard accessosries include a spur drive center, live tail stock center, face plate, 1" pin chuck, 3/4" pin chuck, and one set of wrenches. Available as accessories are an Eccentric Cutting Frame, Reciprocator, Ellipse Chuck and Cam Ring, a Compensating Index for the equal division of the ellipse, Eccentric/Rectilinear Chuck, Deep Cutting Frame, Fluting Stops, and slow-motion Gear Motor Drive."

tashammer
26th September 2006, 02:03 AM
http://www.knappstudios.com/index.htm

Has some lovely work both of rose engine made as well as kalidescopes items.

The spinning tops are brilliant.

tashammer
26th September 2006, 02:55 AM
Have a look at this aussie website

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/o-rosejl.htm

is another example.

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/links.htm is a very handy list of links related to make your own fittings & jigs (it included the 2 at vicnet).

ihog
1st October 2006, 11:15 PM
I am a newbie, but I need your help in building an ornamental lathe like Geoff O'Loughlin made.

I cannot find a spindle like Geoff used to hold his bits. I pretty much have everything else, but the web page at http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/o-rosego.htm left off some critical information.

It looks like I will need to make my nuts smaller :), as the normal nut is 1" wide and to hold the pumping and rocking templates will require 4 nuts, for a length of 3 -1/2".

James Ross sent me copies of the article from Australian woodworker Jan/Feb 03, but they were to small to read, even though they were a great help by looking at the pictures.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st October 2006, 11:38 PM
I was thinking of using a Dremel in lieu of the belt-driven spindle, but I'm not sure whether it'll have enough grunt. Only time will tell, when/if I get that far.

It should be a fairly simple matter to make a shaft/pulley assembly and fit a chuck from a battery/hand-held drill, although you'd need to allow extra room for fitting.

Hmmm... I'm glad you've brought it up... methinks I'd better source all these components before I continue building the base, so I can fit the base to the components and not waste time trying to source components to fit the base! :rolleyes:

ihog
1st October 2006, 11:47 PM
I was thinking of using a Dremel in lieu of the belt-driven spindle, but I'm not sure whether it'll have enough grunt. Only time will tell, when/if I get that far.

It should be a fairly simple matter to make a shaft/pulley assembly and fit a chuck from a battery/hand-held drill, although you'd need to allow extra room for fitting.

Hmmm... I'm glad you've brought it up... methinks I'd better source all these components before I continue building the base, so I can fit the base to the components and not waste time trying to source components to fit the base! :rolleyes:

I had the same thoughts on the Dremel, so I decided to use my Roto-Zip, but that thing turns at 30k RPM. So Now I'm looking for a spindle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg in order to get the RPM down.

I have the rocking base built, but like you I'm waiting till I get everything before making the base.

tashammer
2nd October 2006, 08:51 PM
i contacted several folks who have said it was ok to post their replies re the rose engine, you may like to get in touch with them also.

Tim
My partner Dave Lindow and I are making 10 rose machines. We will have the first proto type at the Nov show. We are trying to make a cast iron machine for as little as fifteen hundred dollars. The work and all the bills are not done so we dont really know the cost of the final machine. But we want to make it affordable.
I do have plans for a homeade rose engine. Look up Geoff O'Loughlin in a search and see if there is a blue print of hoe to.
If not I have plans I can send you.
Steve White
St. Louis Mo. USA

Yes you can post my responce.
It would cost about $2. to mail the plans. Or a DVD.
I have a homemade dvd that goes over my inventions on the rose. I dont know when I could get them to you as I leave town today for 14 days. I will check my email while Im gone.
Its easy to make a Rose engine but dont make on with threaded stock as the spindle.
Have a spindle made that is 1.000 with a 1in -8 threads per inch on the nose. I sell rosetts on ebay and through me. they are for 1.000 and they are $15 each. I sell themby sets only. 21 in a set. For $300. You can make rosetts but they take a lot of time and have to be done right.
Look at ebay and see them.
Steve

If you would like to email Steve, noting that he will be away for 14 days, then:

Swhitefrog AT aol DOT com

make the changes as necessary to the email address.

ihog
2nd October 2006, 09:28 PM
i contacted several folks who have said it was ok to post their replies re the rose engine, you may like to get in touch with them also.

Tim
My partner Dave Lindow and I are making 10 rose machines. We will have the first proto type at the Nov show. We are trying to make a cast iron machine for as little as fifteen hundred dollars. The work and all the bills are not done so we dont really know the cost of the final machine. But we want to make it affordable.
I do have plans for a homeade rose engine. Look up Geoff O'Loughlin in a search and see if there is a blue print of hoe to.
If not I have plans I can send you.
Steve White
St. Louis Mo. USA

Yes you can post my responce.
It would cost about $2. to mail the plans. Or a DVD.
I have a homemade dvd that goes over my inventions on the rose. I dont know when I could get them to you as I leave town today for 14 days. I will check my email while Im gone.
Its easy to make a Rose engine but dont make on with threaded stock as the spindle.
Have a spindle made that is 1.000 with a 1in -8 threads per inch on the nose. I sell rosetts on ebay and through me. they are for 1.000 and they are $15 each. I sell themby sets only. 21 in a set. For $300. You can make rosetts but they take a lot of time and have to be done right.
Look at ebay and see them.
Steve

If you would like to email Steve, noting that he will be away for 14 days, then:

Swhitefrog AT aol DOT com

make the changes as necessary to the email address.

Thanks. This is where I am at right now and it's a WIP.

Also, I have started to rethink the cutter and speed. Because I plan on using the lathe for ornamental work, I shouldn't need a big ole cutter taking large chunks or otherwise. So, I may go back to the Dremel.