PDA

View Full Version : Domino dowels with thin stock

Flowboy
24th July 2006, 09:05 AM
Could anyone tell me if they have used the domino successfully on mitred stock of, say, 42mm wide and 12mm deep? This would be a picture frame obviously or possibly a small box. What length would the dowel comfortably support in the picture frame situation?

Rob

nt900
24th July 2006, 10:03 AM
Hi Rob,

I quickly cut some 12mm ply at 42mm width and mitre joined them using the 30x19x5mm domino. As the below images show, you could use a longer domino, but the 30x19x5 seemed quite good already. I used the tight setting. I expect you would be able to hang it on the wall in 'dry fit' mode without glue and it would not come apart - but I suggest you use glue for the final product :D

You will notice I the inside of the join does not line up perfectly, this is because I used the pins on the domino to align the pieces when plunging them. On one piece a little to much pressure pushing the workpiece against the pin pushed the pin into the soft ply 'pointy bit' by about a mil. Doing a real job I would quickly make a small jig to manage perfect placement. I can demonstrate later when I get a moment. Definitely the way to go for small production work. I will also try and see if I can get a second domino into the same dimension timber pieces.

Flowboy
24th July 2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks Anthony, That's great to know. Most of the timber I use is hardwood, so I'm not sure there will be an issue. There's also always the Dremel of course to fine sand corners.

Regards and god to know your still talking to me,

Rob

Flowboy
24th July 2006, 12:14 PM
Just thought I'd let anybody interested know that I now have a Domino and a case of walletus drainianum.
We'll see how the chairs go with it (The Domino that is).
So you've heard of the paparrazi, how about the Domino notoriazi.:D

Regards,

Rob

echnidna
24th July 2006, 08:07 PM
OOH I'd love one but theyre exxy.

TassieKiwi
25th July 2006, 10:10 AM
Good on ya Flowboy. Go The Dom!

I made a simple jig to cut 2x 5mm domis in bed slats. Pic soon.

Den

Flowboy
25th July 2006, 10:16 AM
Hi TasKi,

You can see my initial feelings and thoughts in the Domino exp. by those who use them.

Regards

Rob

TassieKiwi
25th July 2006, 10:42 AM
Ah yes. You still bought one, Grasshopper.