PDA

View Full Version : Perspex Sheeting

MarpleMan
24th July 2006, 03:09 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can buy clear perspex sheeting in Melbourne?

Ashore
24th July 2006, 03:13 PM
Try the Yellow pages and ring around is often the easiest way:rolleyes:

Termite
24th July 2006, 06:08 PM
You may find "Lexan" better than perspex. Perspex has a habit of shattering if stressed.

onthebeachalone
24th July 2006, 07:03 PM
You may find "Lexan" better than perspex. Perspex has a habit of shattering if stressed.I'd go along with that. Lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate sheet. I think Makrolon is another one. I have always been amazed by its strength compared with perspex.

I once put some (6mm thick) in a vise and whacked it as hard as I could with a big hammer. Almost broke my arm, but zero effect on the polycarbonate.:o

You might have more success searching for clear polycarbonate sheet as a generic description.

echnidna
24th July 2006, 07:14 PM
some signwriters carry it

Ashore
24th July 2006, 07:21 PM
Depends on the job when you take into consideration the extra cost of the lexan

When I was at the BHP special processes dept we made some bullet proof windows for the pay office in 3/8" lexan, they took the first one to a police firing range for testing , the sargent lined up and fired then fell to the ground , the bullet had bounced back , didn't penetrate or anything but more than knocked the wind out of him so they scrapped the lexan idea as too dangerious , & the excess lexan 91/2 8x4 sheets dissappeared in the foreign order dept , the uses that stuff can be put to :rolleyes: and this was 1972 when it was a lot more expensive than it is today.

Guy
24th July 2006, 07:24 PM
Get mine from a place in Huntingdale, find them good on price and great service I will try find there name and post here

catbuilder
24th July 2006, 09:16 PM
window glaziers usually carry that stuff, look up the guy that fixes your broken windows (When your not home)

Matt

Boatmik
31st July 2006, 07:48 PM

the sargent lined up and fired then fell to the ground , the bullet had bounced back ,

Might still be safe if the windows are angled so bullets go up rather than are returned to sender.

The risk is of course that if the firearm is discharged inside the boat the bullets will be deflected downwards through the bottom.

Maybe some big red notices around the interior warning people about the risks of discharging firearms would tame the Hooray Harrys enough to make the Lexan feasible.

Personally I prefer to keep firearms out of boats.

Best Regards to all
Boatmik

Greg Q
31st July 2006, 09:21 PM

When I was at the BHP special processes dept we made some bullet proof windows for the pay office in 3/8" lexan, they took the first one to a police firing range for testing , the sergeant lined up and fired then fell to the ground , the bullet had bounced back , didn't penetrate or anything but more than knocked the wind out of him so they scrapped the lexan idea as too dangerous ,.

Dangerous to whom? Surely the symmetry and poetic justice of a would-be robber shooting himself with a ricochet would almost require its installation? Where were priorities back then?

Ashore
1st August 2006, 10:19 AM
Their worry was that if a shot was fired it might hit people nearby who were picking up their pay .
There were about 20 windows in a line and 12,000 employes most on shiftwork all paid once a fourtnight so whenever those windows were open someone was about picking up their money , but I know how you feel our first thoughts were much the same :cool:

Rookie
15th August 2006, 02:08 PM
Marpleman, you can get perspex at Arunta Plastics in Mitcham. White pages has them. For others look under plastics in the yellow pages and start ringing.