PDA

View Full Version : Rocking chair joints made with a Domino

Rocker
24th July 2006, 05:50 PM
The joints between the back legs and the rails of my rocking chair need to be made with considerable accuracy, in order that the chair fits together properly. This accuracy requirement necessitated making precision morticing and tenoning jigs before the advent of the Domino. Now the domino enables these joints to be made very quickly and easily without the need to build the jigs.

Photo 1 shows the Domino-cut mortices on the angled end of the lower back rail. The 5° angle at which the ends are docked causes the back legs to be splayed upwards.

Photo 2 shows the rear end of the side rail with a 5° wedge attached to the outer face of the side rail. The rear end of the side rail is docked at 95° to its outer face, to enable the side rail to be splayed outwards towards the front of the chair. The plate of the Domino is angled at 85° to complement this angle. The wedge enables the mortices to be cut at a 5° angle to the outer face to accommodate the 5° upward splay of the back legs.

Photo 3 shows the mortices cut in the end face.

Photo 4 shows the two side rails with their dominoes fitted. The top mortices are cut using the narrow width setting and the bottom ones with the medium width setting, which enables some wiggle room.

Rocker

Carpenter
24th July 2006, 06:25 PM
Rocker,
I predict you're about to be overwhelmed with a similar level of enthusiasm & excitement that took Lignum. What you're doing is exactly the sort of application Festool had in mind when this tool was designed, & its great to see it put into action making this task so much easier (sorry Darksiders).

patr
24th July 2006, 07:10 PM
Rocker
Faberlus :D as we say in Wales!
Pat

Wongo
24th July 2006, 11:37 PM
I am just happy that my friend rocker is having fun. Well done mate.:)

boban
24th July 2006, 11:55 PM
And do you sharpen your blades using a waterstone or oil stone. I'm guessing you go to 10000 grit.

Im still resisting.....

patr
25th July 2006, 02:39 AM
"Im still resisting....." said Boban.

I do believe that I have heard those words somewhere before. Probably whilst waiting for the Festool man in Germany to pick up the phone and take my order for my Princess.:D

Pat

Rocker
25th July 2006, 05:44 AM
Boban,

You raise a valid point; the Domino cutters are made from HSS rather than carbide, so they may perhaps get blunt eventually. However, they are not exorbitantly expensive, costing between $49.50 and $55 each. It might even be feasible to sharpen the cutters, but presumably not with oilstones or waterstones.

Incidentally, I have never seen the joy of sharpening with stones that need to be repeatedly flattened. I always use diamond stones for chisels and plane blades.

Rocker

Honorary Bloke
25th July 2006, 06:30 AM
G'day you Dominated maties. If you've a shred of decency you will keep this thread going indefinitely. Here I sit in the U. S. of A. taking notes and generally slobbering (down Simou!) waiting for our turn. I have mentioned the Domino on our US forum, generally to yawns of indifference. They know not what they know not.:(

Keep those tips tricks and techniques coming, please. Oh, how I want to be Dominated!! :D

TassieKiwi
25th July 2006, 09:52 AM
'On yer Rocker, knew you'd figure it out. I think the variable slot width is one of the great strengths of The Dom. The combination of a 'zero' tolerance tenon for alignment coupled with one or more 'clearance' domino's makes for strong rapid fuss-free jointing. Add the registration pins to negate the need for marking out, and .... Lookout world!:D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this tool will bring projects into reach of many weekend warriors that would not previously consider them - like a rocker!

Den

Rocker
25th July 2006, 10:24 AM
G'day you Dominated maties. If you've a shred of decency you will keep this thread going indefinitely. Here I sit in the U. S. of A. taking notes and generally slobbering (down Simou!) waiting for our turn. I have mentioned the Domino on our US forum, generally to yawns of indifference. They know not what they know not.:(

Keep those tips tricks and techniques coming, please. Oh, how I want to be Dominated!! :D

Bob,

I hear from an impeccable source that Festool will not be introducing a inch version of the Domino to the US, but will stick with the metric version. So, in view of the invincible conservatism of the average Middle American, I am afraid the Domino may get off to a slow start over there. Indeed, I can imagine that the Southern Baptists will be denouncing it as an infernal machine that is the Devil's work. Kansas will probably have guards at the state border to prevent the importation of a machine that could cast doubt on the doctrine of Intelligent Design, since clearly this machine was designed by some satanic engineer who wanted to mock God's work.

Maybe some canny entrepreneur will be able to make his fortune by providing scales for the Domino calibrated in 1/32", and providing conversion tables to allow Americans to work with cutters that are - near enough - 13/64", 15/64", 5/16", and 25/64" in diameter, so that American woodworkers can feel comfortable with this sinful machine.

Perhaps we shall see Fine Woodworking award the Tip of the month to someone who reveals the secret information that millimetre measurements can readily be converted to inches by dividing by 25.4:)

Rocker

Rocker
25th July 2006, 06:29 PM
'On yer Rocker, knew you'd figure it out. I think the variable slot width is one of the great strengths of The Dom. The combination of a 'zero' tolerance tenon for alignment coupled with one or more 'clearance' domino's makes for strong rapid fuss-free jointing. Add the registration pins to negate the need for marking out, and .... Lookout world!:D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this tool will bring projects into reach of many weekend warriors that would not previously consider them - like a rocker!

Den

Dennis,

I am working on producing a Domino version of my rocker CD. Anthony at Ideal Tools has been kind enough to agree to my putting info about using the Domino to make the rocker on their website, so I am hoping for some interest in my CD from America, when the Domino is launched over there. As you say, people who might be discouraged by having to build morticing and tenoning jigs, can now aspire to making a rocker without too much difficulty.

Rocker

Auld Bassoon
25th July 2006, 06:31 PM
Perhaps we shall see Fine Woodworking award the Tip of the month to someone who reveals the secret information that millimetre measurements can readily be converted to inches by dividing by 25.4:)

Rocker

Yeowch :D

BTW, that's probably far too complicated :D

patr
25th July 2006, 07:14 PM
Bob,

So, in view of the invincible conservatism of the average Middle American, I am afraid the Domino may get off to a slow start over there. Indeed, I can imagine that the Southern Baptists will be denouncing it as an infernal machine that is the Devil's work. Kansas will probably have guards at the state border to prevent the importation of a machine that could cast doubt on the doctrine of Intelligent Design, since clearly this machine was designed by some satanic engineer who wanted to mock God's work.

Rocker

Rocker
As we speak, 120 members of HQ Central Command (Motto: We free the World of Nasties) in Tampa Florida will be vectoring in on a certain critic of the Land of the Free who lives in a place called Awstralya.:D If you hear a sort of woosh overhead then you are OK but if you hear nothing then pack up fast as you are now officially a WMD (Weapon of Mass Domistruction).

Pat and Simou

Auld Bassoon
25th July 2006, 07:30 PM
you are now officially a WMD (Weapon of Mass Domistruction).

Simou! Shame on you!

Go and poop on those nasty seppos as penance!

PS Take a bite or two if you wish :D

Honorary Bloke
25th July 2006, 11:02 PM
Bob,

I hear from an impeccable source that Festool will not be introducing a inch version of the Domino to the US, but will stick with the metric version. So, in view of the invincible conservatism of the average Middle American, I am afraid the Domino may get off to a slow start over there. Indeed, I can imagine that the Southern Baptists will be denouncing it as an infernal machine that is the Devil's work. Kansas will probably have guards at the state border to prevent the importation of a machine that could cast doubt on the doctrine of Intelligent Design, since clearly this machine was designed by some satanic engineer who wanted to mock God's work.

Rocker

Ah, Rocker. You know us too well!! I'm sure if I posted on my US forum that I wanted to be Dominated, they would turn me in to the sex police.:eek:

Meanwhile, Festool have never released anything here that wasn't metric, but they will round up or down to make us think it is imperial. We are so easily taken in. In fact, all of our plywood is now metric (e.g., 19mm) but is still listed as 25/32". Then the suppliers sell us "undersized plywood router bits" which are just 19mm bits, so our dado fits will be tighter.

Just yesterday, I posted on a thread discussing the merits of various mortising machines. I suggested they save their money and wait for the Domino. The result? No one even acknowledged that Domi was an alternative.:confused: No doubt it will indeed be banned in Boston, kicked in Kansas, and reviled generally. I shall have to purchase mine from a greasy fellow on a street corner who keeps them under his mack. :D

It is believed that the Domino will sell here for around US$800 + or -. But it may be more if it must be smuggled in.

Honorary Bloke
25th July 2006, 11:13 PM
Rocker
As we speak, 120 members of HQ Central Command (Motto: We free the World of Nasties) in Tampa Florida will be vectoring in on a certain critic of the Land of the Free who lives in a place called Awstralya.:D If you hear a sort of woosh overhead then you are OK but if you hear nothing then pack up fast as you are now officially a WMD (Weapon of Mass Domistruction).

Pat and Simou

PatR (and Simou),

Like everyone else, we Yanks get the government we deserve, I suppose (Motto: there is no world political situation that we can't make worse). Since my years in the Air Force during Viet Nam I have become rather cynical (sigh). Of course, you have Tony Blair (motto: whatever you say President Bush) so it's a bit tit for tat.

Fortunately, we share the most important things. I refer, of course, to Glenfiddich single malt and Maker's Mark bourbon. :)

BTW, my forebears emigrated from Wales in the 1700's. No doubt chased out with Simou's forebears snapping at their heels.:D

patr
25th July 2006, 11:47 PM
Hi Bob

You are so right. Thank God there are still decent folk around who see through Bush and Bliar ( Motto: Yo! Ahrslikkahs Unite!) but we must be in the minority as they keep getting elected!

Great to see a poster from the Land of the Free and one who is a potential member of the DAC. I have fond memories of my three year tour with the US Army as a Liaison Officer and have many friends dotted around the States most of whom, after being introduced to my ever decreasing selection of Single Malts, have all claimed Welsh ancestry :) and stayed with us here in our lovely Valley.

(Simou loves Americans as he was given a rather snazzy Radio Flyer by one of our visiting friends from across the water and which he pulls my two grandsons around in!)

Regards
Pat

Honorary Bloke
26th July 2006, 08:35 AM
Well Pat (and Simou, of course),

We seem to see eye to eye on important matters--world politics, political leaders, and the Domino. Not to mention Laphroigh single malt and Knob Creek bourbon. Ah yes, we're all Welsh when the Laph. is passed round.:)

But not to get too much off topic, I have been so impressed with the ways in which Lignum, Rocker, Tassiekiwi, Riri (and now Flowboy?), and so many others have found to utilise little Domi. I'm just a hobbyist myself, but even from a self-defense point-of-view Domi seems a good investment. After all, SWMBO (i.e., Chief of Staff) is always carrying on about furniture, etc. she simply must have. How better to placate HQ by tossing off a nice bench or what-have-you with Domi and get back to the serious business of contemplating what tool I shall purchase next.:rolleyes:

(Yes, I put them in a corner of the shed and later explain "Oh I have had that tool a long time."):D

TassieKiwi
26th July 2006, 10:18 AM
Hey Bob

Good to have someone from the lower 48 to yarn to. I lurk on the Woodcentral site, and there certainly seems to be some real stick-in-the-muds there, when it comes to debating things like BU planes, waterstones, Japanese chisles and the like. Still, when you read the DAC's earlier derision of The Dom on this BB, we'd have to cut them some slack. Once David Charlesworth or Mr Klauz whips one out to knock up a dovetailed draw, or attach a rail to a replica Chippendale, they'll take notice!:D

PS did you ever come across a guy called Rob Lipscombe? He hails from your state. (Orthapoedic surgeon)

Rocker - your contribution to Anthony's website will increase the hits there for sure. Good show. I'll be watching!

Den

Rocker
9th August 2006, 05:32 PM
The backslat mortices for my rocker were routed in the back rails after rounding their back faces. Narrow thin laths were attached with double-sided tape to the outer edges of the Domino's plate so that it would not wobble.
See http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35118&page=2 , post #25.

Rocker

tmikko
22nd August 2006, 10:01 AM
Bob, I've long been a member of the Yahoo Festool forum, and have been looking for information on the Domino. Got the bright idea to search down under, and voila! Found the woodwork forum was acrawl with messages about Domino. I already have and enjoy my multirouter, so I apparently have overcome the fear of $$$ when it come to mortise and tenons. Have been thinking of getting a Domino from Europe, and plugging it into my 220 outlets. Great to see all the clever uses that are coming about, and to see how strongly coverted the users become. Can't wait, but probably will.:rolleyes:

Mike

Rocker
22nd August 2006, 12:55 PM
Mike,

I am pretty sure that running a 240V Domino at 220v would void your warranty; you will just have to be patient for a few months. If you have a multirouter already, mortices are not much hassle anyway. But it it might pay you to get a systainer-full of Domino loose tenons meanwhile; you could use them in conjunction with the multirouter.

Rocker