PDA

View Full Version : A simple drawing program

attie
24th July 2006, 06:36 PM
I could well be placing this in the wrong section but the mod. will rectify that.
I must say that no matter what search engine one uses, ask a question about woodwork and anything related to it these woodwork forums allways come up.
I've gone back through all the archives and found sketch up and that CAD systems etc. I've been to many Harvey Normans etc. in search of something simple. I realy am not much good at these things and I don't want perspectives etc, just something simple, I don't need to do it for a living, just a hobbie.
To cut a long story short, I think I've found it. If you wouldn't mind having a look and make some comments I'd appreciate it. I've got it on the 30 day free trial. http://www.ivanview.com/Home-Plan-Pro-review1296.html

Thanks
Wayne

Chris Parks
24th July 2006, 11:40 PM
Wayne, that appears to be for house plans, is it suitable for general drawing? I find Deltacad ideal for general drawing though they are all a bit hard to use initially. The only problem I have encountered with DeltaCad is scaling in metric. You can download a fully functional, time limited copy of DeltaCad from here....http://deltacad.com/
It is very easy to use if you learn the keyboard shortcuts. As with all these things unless you use them frequently it is easier to use a pencil and a lot quicker.

scooter
25th July 2006, 12:05 AM
Wayne, can't comment on the one you've mentioned, but other than sketchup & turbocad, I had a demo of Smartdraw from a magazine cover CD a few years ago.

It is quite simple & intuitive to use, may be worth tracking down at your library.

Cheers................Sean

Rocker
25th July 2006, 06:11 AM
attie,

Are you aware that Google Sketchup can be downloaded for free? It is easy to learn but a bit limited. I use TurboCAD, but its learning curve is steep, and you may not find it worth the effort unless you are drawing a lot of plans.

Rocker

Rabbit
25th July 2006, 07:43 AM
Howdy attie!

I've downloaded the program you posted and will give it a go over the next few days. I agree with Rocker (I believe it was) who suggested Google SketchUp. It's a bit quirky on some things, but if you're not a CAD user it might not seem strange to use as it does to those who've used CAD. It's got some good tutorials and forums, too; and you can't beat the price.

Hijack: If anyone can tell me how to precisely mate surfaces using SketchUp, I'd really appreciate the tip.

rabbit, from TX, USA who hasn't been lurking around for awhile.

Sybarite
25th July 2006, 10:08 AM
I use AutoCAD professionally for any design detailing, but I also understand that the purchase price of most CAD packages probably exceed the needs/wants of most "casual" users.

VectorWorks is a great combination of CAD and Layout software that I would like to get my hands on - the interface would be very familiar to any Adobe product user.

I have been using SketchUP for a couple of years now and it is my number one favourite modelling tool.

SketchUp can be used as a 2D layout package with a moderate degree of accuracy and detail - but it was never designed to be an engineering drawing package.
Just work on two axes only, in either a plan or isometric view.
The line drawing tool is very intuitive in projecting intersections and finding midpoints, as well as aligning itself to the major axes.
Using the command line for inputting dimensions is invaluable.

Having had a "classical" engineering drawing education, I believe that one needs to be fully conversant in manual drawing board techniques to get the most out of a CAD package.
The software/machine only makes it easier, it is never going to do it for you - I suspect this applies to a whole lot of things to do with woodworking as well.
The best thing about CAD (and to my mind worth the learning curve at any cost) is the ability to make corrections/copies/modifications without having to go back to the beginning...most of the time.
That and no inking up!

Rabbit - I would like to try and answer your question (I have access to a SketchUP guru at one of my contract jobs) but I am not sure I understand the exact nature of your problem...feel free to contact me for further discusssion.

Respect, all.

attie
25th July 2006, 10:38 PM
Thank you all, I've taken your advise onboard so will cruise around and check the sites out. I did a few test drawings and once you get the hang of it, it's pretty quick. Using the key board is the trick, I tried placing the cursor by hand first up, what a disaster. I reckon practice on the easy ones first.
Many thanks
Wayne

attie
30th July 2006, 01:08 PM
Just reporting back, I must say that after a few minor disasters this system is so quick. It is only good for plans, elevations etc, but that's all I want. I drew up a full set of house plans in a matter of 3 - 4 hours, printed them out to scale and emailed them off to the engineer. I apologise for not checking the other systems out yet but will do so when I get time.
Thanks once again for your help
Wayne