PDA

View Full Version : Glue Advise

woodtryer
24th July 2006, 09:28 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm a long time visiter and now i hope to contribute or at least get some advise after finally registering. Anyway, I'm looking for some advise on the best glue to use with Brush Box. I picked up some really nice pieces awhile ago and am now going to make an entertainment centre but I have heard that brush box can be a bit tricky to glue, is this right?. Any help would be appreciated so that I don't have my work fall apart in 6 months time.

Cheers,

Pete.

Bodgy
24th July 2006, 10:13 PM
I think you can rely on modern technology. Nearly all glues are now stronger than the wood, If you really want to be anal, you can use Epoxy. I would tend to use Yellow PVA.

It does depend on your joints too. A butt joint is going to need far more glue strength than an M&T, for example.

Let us know about your joinery intentions.

Haven't heard Brush Box is especially difficult. As far as I understand it, the woods that are glue problematic are those naturally oily, like Lignum Vitae, Tallow etc.

Auld Bassoon
25th July 2006, 07:21 PM
Agree with Bodgy - though why one would go to the trouble of fashioning Lignum Vitae, and then relying on glue defeats me :D

echnidna
25th July 2006, 08:46 PM
Got a vague idea you should wipe it down with acetone or lacquer thinners immediately before gluing.