PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum

Flint
24th July 2006, 09:53 PM
In response to Wardys post, with regard to what timber it was
I think it is red gum. I made a box from a peice of red gum salvaged from a friends fireplace in Victoria. I am posting pictures of a box I made. It made the table saw grunt and all my other tools struggled. It is nice to see Wardy using the same finish I use except I now use orange oil wax for the final coat.
The top of the box is Black Hearted Sasafras. The tray is Huon Pine and Red Gum.

Sir Stinkalot
24th July 2006, 10:06 PM
Great box ..... it is always great to see that piece of timber "saved" from ruin and turned into somthing that will last many lifetimes.

Sculptured Box
24th July 2006, 11:10 PM
Flint

A good choice of the blend of timbers, looks great! Nice work.

Auld Bassoon
25th July 2006, 07:07 PM
Super job Flint - Red Gum and Huon Pine - Ahhh!

Nice to see that you took the time to use the inset hinges. Great job!

Billylad
25th July 2006, 10:20 PM
Top class box flint. With the quad hinges , are they easy to install,and is there a jig to buy to help. Would like to see more of your work

Wardy
25th July 2006, 11:20 PM
In response to Wardys post, with regard to what timber it was
I think it is red gum. I made a box from a peice of red gum salvaged from a friends fireplace in Victoria. I am posting pictures of a box I made. It made the table saw grunt and all my other tools struggled. It is nice to see Wardy using the same finish I use except I now use orange oil wax for the final coat.
The top of the box is Black Hearted Sasafras. The tray is Huon Pine and Red Gum.
great looking box flint, the timbers blend well together.love the sasa top. i've got a pair of those hinges tucked away in the cupboard so you have prompted me to the drawing board.how do you find the orange oil wax? is it a paste wax or more of a cream?
cheers wardy :)

martrix
25th July 2006, 11:32 PM
Tidy little box Flint!
Redgum is a hard timber, but always worth the effort.
I always ask this question as I really want some for the next box I make (.....better finish the current ones first:o ), but how much and where did you get your Quadrant hinges from? thanks.

DPB
26th July 2006, 01:09 PM
Nicely done. I like it!:)

Flint
28th July 2006, 08:41 PM
Hi Wardy
The wax comes from Organoil, name is Natural wax and polish. Roger Gifkin gave it to me to try as ge uses it as well
Flint

Flint
28th July 2006, 08:46 PM
The hinges come from Patricks and Kent. Best I have used. Difficult to fit, I have now fitted them on 10 boxes and the best way is on the router table with fixed stops. It is improtant you use a long mortice bit and make sure the box can only move the length of cut. I take approx 2 mil in depth each cut. I also take the base of my Makita and screw it direct to a peice of perspex. This increases the depth of cut. It is imprtant that the slot goes into the back board by 2mil this allows the lid to close
Hope this helps