PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Mezaire

Old Codger
25th July 2006, 01:11 AM
As promised in thread about 36' trawler, here are some pictures of mine.
38' long
13' beam
Powered by 5LW Gardner.
70 years old
ex cray boat from King Island, built in Victoria, not sure where.
The bow has been changed from a curved bow to the strait profile it has now, just before I bought it.
Old Codger

echnidna
25th July 2006, 01:40 AM
looks great.

Auld Bassoon
25th July 2006, 06:49 PM
G'day Old Codger!

Nice looking old trawler.

I note that in pics 3 & 4 that you've added an extra hawse hole - and that the one in the transom didn't have a metal wear guide...

I take it that the radome shown in pic 1 is off for service in the later pics?

Those old Gardners just go on and on.

Must be fun down there - but I hope you have a diesel heater or somesuch :)

darrenyorston
26th July 2006, 09:30 AM
Nice boat..the Gardners are a great engine they just keep chugging on..would have liked one in mine however we have a low hour Cummins 4BW instead.

What are you planning to use her for?

Old Codger
26th July 2006, 10:17 PM
We have had the boat over ten years and the photos show a progression during that time. The original cabin was the small wheel house aft and this was changed to the larger wheel house etc. as pictured. This contrsucted at home, steel frame with ply over. It was then lifted on and bolted down. Work internally has progressed in fits and starts ever since. Galley finished in Jarrah doors with Redgum panel and Celery Top pine trim. It has tow bouble births anda hot shower. Things like hand rails davits and radar have been added as budget and effort have allowed. Last years project was to reclad over the plank deck.
Its a Family boat and goes to sea once or twice a year cruising round Tassies coast. Other than that time is spent on the Tamar River in Northen Tassie.
The old Gardner is a wonderfull motor. Some would say the best diesel ever built, I agree. But they are expesive to reapir and are no longer made. When you start her up and she blows smoke rings out the exhaust when cold at we reckon 120rpm. So if anybody knows where there is a Gardner Tacho please tell me, I'd love one.
I anybody knows anything about the boats history, that would also be apppreciated. The fact that she is tight seamed should help.
She used to be called Nautilus.
Any way thats about her, please give any advice, critisism, knowledge etc.

Salted Nuts
30th July 2006, 02:52 AM
Beautiful boat!!!
Did it have a wet well when you first purchased her? If so, I am guessing that this must have been closed off when the forhead cabin was put on. How did you go about getting her to sit down in the water or was this not a problem? Pete

Mezaire
30th July 2006, 04:34 AM
Hey,

Looks like we are making this a bit of a family affair, Mezaire is Dad's (old codger) boat and hence my nickname, so seeing I'm online I shall attempt to answer the last question!!

The wet well was removed with the holes plugged before the new cabin went on. A hell od alot of lead ingots went under the floor to help bring her down to her lines somewhat but she still floats an inch or two high. From memory we did a quick calculation while rowing away from her one evening and we would need about 1500kg more lead to bring her down that much!!

Cheers,

Ben

darrenyorston
31st July 2006, 11:40 AM
I agree with you there on the lead. My vessel is 40ft and every time you raise a panel there is a lead bar there. I swear that if it ever sinks half the fish in NSW are going to die of lead poisoning!