PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press notation question (MT3, J3, B18 etc)

BobL
25th July 2006, 01:59 AM
I purchase a new bigish (MT3, 1000W) Orange Drill Press last week. It has a keyed chuck marked J3 on it that doesn't hold anything smaller that a 3mm bit. I'd like to get a chuck that holds something smaller than this and was thinking about a keyless.

McJing is selling a 0.2 to 16 mm keyless with a taper hole number B18. If I wish to fit this keyless does this mean I then need to buy another MT3 with a B18 chuck arbour ?

It's soooo nice to be able to drill straight holes at last at home, (previously had to drag stuff off to work)

rodm
25th July 2006, 03:35 AM
Yes and for $12.00 for the arbor it would be handy to have the second chuck ready to go.

Harry72
25th July 2006, 04:27 AM
What I done was butcher an old cordless drill for its keyless chuck and drive shaft, this way theres no need to play around with tapers just insert the chuck and shaft like a drill bit!

BobL
25th July 2006, 10:18 AM
What I done was butcher an old cordless drill for its keyless chuck and drive shaft, this way theres no need to play around with tapers just insert the chuck and shaft like a drill bit!

Oh "$hit and danmation" I just finally threw the old cordless out during the big shed clean up a coupla months back.

How does one undo the keyless chucks in a DP? On the cordless I just chuck it into reverse and grab hold of the chuck. Actually why don't they have a reverse on DPs?

Thanks for the reply Rod.

Dan
25th July 2006, 10:25 PM
How does one undo the keyless chucks in a DP?

'A flick of the wrist' is usually enough, otherwise you can grasp the top of the chuck with your other hand to stop it from spinning as you loosen it.

BobL
26th July 2006, 08:30 AM
'A flick of the wrist' is usually enough, otherwise you can grasp the top of the chuck with your other hand to stop it from spinning as you loosen it.

Thanks

BobL
2nd August 2006, 01:45 AM
Oh "$hit and danmation" I just finally threw the old cordless out during the big shed clean up a coupla months back.

Harry, you may be pleased to know I found my even ancienter 7.2V B&D Patriot under the house last weekend and can report a successful butchery and now have myself a small (3/8") chuckless I can just bung into the DP
Cheers

Harry72
2nd August 2006, 01:57 AM
It good ya!

BobL
2nd August 2006, 10:11 AM
It good ya!

Ya!