PDA

View Full Version : Sore neck anyone?

BobL
25th July 2006, 02:05 AM
A few week ago I posted something about ear muffs giving me an earache. Well the last two weekends I have been getting ear and increasing neck aches. I now realize it's not the ear muffs after all but I may be doing too much neck bending. It was so bad saturday night I could barely sleep. The worst comes when I am hand sanding small objects basically close to my chest and have to bend zee neck to see what I'm doing. Also leaving a face shield fliped back on my head seems to exacerbate the problem.

Anyone else in the same boat?

rrich
25th July 2006, 09:28 AM
I have the same problem when sanding. My solution is to just sit on a stool next to the bench.

Wild Dingo
25th July 2006, 01:47 PM
Yep... sit at bench mate... heres what I did... I got one of those workmate vice benches just a cheep one will do mine was an old B&D one a bloke gave me as he was tossing it out... anyway take the legs off it so youve just got the top setup and bolt that to the top of the workbench (heres where it pays to have a lot of benches! ;) It brings the work up to you so you just sit on a stool at the bench and work on whatever on that workmate... great for small stuff and close work and one of the best uses Ive found is when Im making the pens... useing the small tables and small dog things its ideal for clamping the bits together perfectly like a vice... you have several angles of attack and you can bolt screw glue or clamp to it without hurting the bench... when the tops are buggared you just unscrew it and toss another chunk of mdf onto it... easy as! ;)

or get one of those carver vices... ones cheep as chups the others gonna cost you a few bob either will work

I'll see if I can snuffle a shot of it for you :cool: Okay there it is! my benches are made to fit me and as Im a bit of a shortass they probably wouldnt fit you :rolleyes: however it will gain you a few extra inches of height and if you bolt it down so its not to difficult to remove you can when you need to pick it up and walk it up to the house to do some final finishing while yarnin with her bloody highness... and its easy to use cheep easily addapted to your needs and best of all effective for bringing work closer to you without hurtin yer neck

Cheers!

ahem... did I meantion I have 2 x 4mtr benches and 1 x 3mtr bench and still need MORE bench space?? sigh look at those poor wee tool creatures just bustin to work for me and yet... sigh

BobL
25th July 2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks Guys, As I already have one of these I will have to make more use of it. I probably need to make it a little taller.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=24381&d=1149316307

Wild Dingo
25th July 2006, 02:04 PM
Then again Bob if you have one of those clamp things sittin around twiddlin its threads you could also put it to use eh? :D no worries!! nah no need to thank me mate call it a pressy from me to you alrighty? I know you would do the same if I asked ;) :cool:

BobL
25th July 2006, 03:11 PM
. . . . .

ahem... did I meantion I have 2 x 4mtr benches and 1 x 3mtr bench and still need MORE bench space??

Grrrrr. . I'm jealous, I have a grand total of 3.8 mtrs of bench space - mostly covered with crap.

Wild Dingo
26th July 2006, 03:50 AM
yeah so? mines allways all covered in crap! and mate lets be positive here no negatives allowed so dont forget... the more bench space youve got the more crap coverin it... so i guess Ive got more crap than you eh! :D