PDA

View Full Version : Intarsia help me

Rod Rocket
25th July 2006, 09:36 PM
can someone help me to get started on intarsia,
any recomendations of good books and an easy project to start with,
do you need a scoll saw or is a table mounted jigsaw with scroll blade sufficient.

Buzza
26th July 2006, 06:01 PM
Welcome.

For the best results you'll need a scroll saw. Have a search through the scoll saw forum and read what other users have to say about their machines. They can range from about $50.00 to a couple of grand, depending on your pocket.

I have a cheap GMC which has served me well with no problems, and can cut 3/4 of an inch without much trouble at all. It had no laser light and no dust blower. This is not a problem for me, as I think laser lights are are bit of an overkill, and as for a dust blower, I would take that off anyhow, and replace it with a vacumn nozzle which I have done. The more expensive ones take pinless blades, and that is a great help.

The nest big factor is to have a scroll saw bench, and mine is a low one that I sit at, while some other users prefer one they can stand up at. They need to hold the machine steady, as they have a reciprocating movement up and down to which causes the machine to head off if not bolted down. My bench also has rubber feet.

Scroll saws can cut very fine work, and good one can even be used on cardboard and paper, and as I've stated, most can go through wood up to 3/4 of an inch, carefully.

Buzza.

Rod Rocket
26th July 2006, 06:35 PM
thanks for the advice buzza about the scroll saw,
any help with a book and an easy project

Bob H
27th July 2006, 05:54 AM
Rod ,
Tnere are a number of good books out by Judy Gail Roberts. of
Roberts Studios in the US. Do a search and you will likely find them.
Good step by step instructions and a number of project plans included.
One book is:"Easy to make (Inlay Wood Projects) INTARSIA. By Fox Chapel Publishing. It can be ordered from the US but you should be able to find it or similar closer to home at book shops or Magazine stands or craft outlets.

And no, an inverted jigsaw won't do. For a start it will not do the tight turns required, and its blades too large & coarse. Get the best scrollsaw you can afford. You could go the cheap route but as soon as you are hooked on intarsia or any other scrolling for that matter, you will be looking to upgrade. Biggest drawback with the cheapos is vibration.Making the holding of the piece and accurate cutting more somewhat difficult (but not impossibel).
But until you get into the more intricate designs, a cheap or used SSaw would do fine.

Douglas Hayman
27th July 2006, 06:03 PM
I started in intarsia with the help of Steve Bundred Intarsia down under form Gekkp Timbers

Hope this helps

Goonyella
27th July 2006, 09:03 PM
Have to agree with Douglas. This is Steve's website http://www.fantasticwoodworking.com/

He not only has a great book, but lots of great plans ranging from the easy to the more challenging.

As for scroll saws, buy the best you can afford, but be warned scrollsawing becomes addictive.

Steve.

Rod Rocket
27th July 2006, 09:32 PM
great help!
will search the for some books and reseach some more about scroll saws
Rod

Douglas Hayman
27th July 2006, 10:05 PM
Rod Rocket

Albury Wodonga Woodcrafters are holding a scrollsaw weekend 18th - 20th Ausust that will includs Intarsia

Cost of this weekend is $30 please send PM :) for more information

Lin
30th July 2006, 11:26 PM
Rod, Here's a link to Judy Gale Roberts website. She has a free downloadable pattern on it for a nice starter intarsia piece....I beleive it also carries some instuction. Her lastest book "Wildlife Intarsia" has some very good step-by-step instrucion in it on how she does her intarsia. The layering/shaping process has been the hardest for me to understand and this book shows how she uses sanding shims to shape adjacent pieces that should be sanded together. Most informative book I have bought so far for intarsia. I myself don't do intarsia but do segmentation but I use the same techniques for shaping as those that do intarsia use.
http://www.intarsia.com/
Lin

terrygoss
2nd August 2006, 10:14 AM
At the risk of being criticised for giving a plug for my own stuff I suggest you look at the WASP sander, and the Blowfly sander. After cutting out you spend a lot of time sanding. I get a lot of positive feedback from intarsia enthusiasts and guitar makers. Go to http://www.piricdesign.com.au
If you get in touch with me (email) I will send you a demonstration DVD at no cost so you can decide for yourself , and that offer goes for anyone else on this forum too.

Phantom_Phixer
23rd August 2006, 12:56 AM
Here's a great site for books on Intarsia.

http://www.foxchapelpublishing.com/

Judy Gail Roberts is one of the best artist/authors for Intarsia books and patterns.

Phantom_Phixer