PDA

View Full Version : Good hint for your chuck

Auzzie turner
25th July 2006, 10:45 PM
Hi, here is a good hint for the chuck.I have a vicmarc 120 chuck, and I was watching a video, and the guy on it tightend both holes in the side. He didn't just stick the handle into the one hole, and just tighten the one, he tightend both, It has made a big difference, nothing ever comes flying out at me anymore. If you knew this allready, it was for the newbies.;)

Regards..........Joash

Wood Butcher
25th July 2006, 10:48 PM
I do the same thing with any drill chuck. After tightening up in the first postition I move the key around to the next hole. You can almost always cinch it up a bit more and as above you'll rarely ever get drill bits slipping in the chuck.

Auzzie turner
25th July 2006, 10:50 PM
yeah, you could use it for all chucks.

P.S use the poll

Bruce101
25th July 2006, 10:57 PM
As an (ancient) Fitter & Machinest, I can add that ALL apprentices learning to use metal lathes learn that the first rule in machining is ALWAYS to tighten ALL keyholes to even the tension on the scroll, thereby making for a firmer, therefore safer, chuck grip.
DON'T DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd Rule....NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, LEAVE A KEY IN A CHUCK. WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR HAND OFF THE CHUCK KEY, IT SHOULD BE ON THE BENCH!!!!!!!

Cheers all
Bruce

DJ’s Timber
25th July 2006, 10:59 PM
Yes I have been doing this on all types of keyed chucks since I can remember. I think one of my Uncles on the farm taught me this and I try to pass this on to other people as well

Cheers DJ

Auzzie turner
25th July 2006, 11:04 PM
As an (ancient) Fitter & Machinest, I can add that ALL apprentices learning to use metal lathes learn that the first rule in machining is ALWAYS to tighten ALL keyholes to even the tension on the scroll, thereby making for a firmer, therefore safer, chuck grip.

2nd Rule....NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, LEAVE A KEY IN A CHUCK. WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR HAND OFF THE CHUCK KEY, IT SHOULD BE ON THE BENCH!!!!!!!

Cheers all
Bruce
don't have a metal lathe

Bruce101
25th July 2006, 11:12 PM
Same Principle! Same injuries!!

Auzzie turner
25th July 2006, 11:16 PM
right

The amount of replies in half an hour, AMAZING!!

soundman
25th July 2006, 11:27 PM
yep yep yep.

re chuck keys or any tools or spanners for power tools.

It's in the hand or its in the stand.

I have seen all sorts of "safety" devices and such to prevent people leaving chuck keys in the chuck....... sorry no point....... it's in the hand or in the stand.

this should be written large on the side of all power tools and machines and beaten into all who are likely to use power tools at birth.

all the old books say tighten in all three holes too.

works for getting stubborn chucks undone too.... lean on each hole a bit in turn till she comes undone.

also don't forget to oil drill chucks.

cheers

Hickory
26th July 2006, 05:19 AM
Oh how true... I was in a fwllow'a shop at one time and saw where the drill press was outfitted so that you could not turn on the machine unless the chuck key was in position at the switch. It was a simple homemade design but for the likes of me I can't recall how the fellow did it. I remember it was simple to do. But my tiny little brain cells are vacationing again.

hingston
26th July 2006, 02:38 PM

Cheers all
Bruce

I can agree with the 2nd rule. As an aprentice I did it once, it snaped off and I was made to make a new one from raw stock in my own time.

It worked, I don't leave chuck keys in anything anymore.

rsser
26th July 2006, 05:02 PM
Another tip ... that's to cinch her up after you've been working for a while. Mandatory with green timber.

jmk89
26th July 2006, 05:21 PM
My Ryobi DP's chuck key is spring loaded so if you let go of it it jumps out of the chuck. Since it inevitably jumps straight fromt eh chuck into the darkest and most impenetrable corner of the workshop, you only do that once!!! Not a bad system tho' - means that rule 2 doesn't come into operationat my place.

Actually, I'm going to put that little b###ard on a string so if it does jump out, I can pull it in like a fish on a line...

ticklingmedusa
26th July 2006, 05:59 PM
My Ryobi DP's chuck key is spring loaded so if you let go of it it jumps out of the chuck. Since it inevitably jumps straight fromt eh chuck into the darkest and most impenetrable corner of the workshop, you only do that once!!! Not a bad system tho' - means that rule 2 doesn't come into operationat my place.

Always wondered what the thought behind that bloody springloaded chuck key was... :D

As far as snugging all keyholes on any chuck : excellent advice!
Greenies for Joash
tm

cedar n silky
26th July 2006, 06:17 PM
As an ex chippy (if there is such a thing) and before keyless chucks were invented, I used to tape (electrical tape) the chuck key right up against the plug on the cord of my electric drill. This always reminded me to unplug the drill before I changed bits. It also saved me a lot of time looking for the chuck key in my often crowded nail bag. Some frowned at this practice, but it worked for me! And yes, I always nipped up around each hole in the chuck. You learn that real quick if your using a 25mm auger in hardwood, and the chuck comes looose!

Auzzie turner
26th July 2006, 06:54 PM
Hey, thanks for the greenies, I didn't think this thread would be this popular.

Regards......Joash

rsser
26th July 2006, 06:56 PM
Good tip Cedar.

now if old plumbers don't die but just start to drip, and old electricians lose their spark, do old chippies lose their edge? ;-}

Auzzie turner
26th July 2006, 07:51 PM
Who are the 3 people who didn't know this hint allready?

cedar n silky
26th July 2006, 08:59 PM
Good tip Cedar.

now if old plumbers don't die but just start to drip, and old electricians lose their spark, do old chippies lose their edge? ;-}
They loose their hair!!;)

ss_11000
26th July 2006, 09:44 PM

you made the poll a special way so you can see that, just click on 'veiw poll results' then click on either of the numbers on the right.

cheers

btw, one of em was me

Tassie Boy
26th July 2006, 10:33 PM
Yep i knew this one.... my metalwork teacher told us that . but i do it for all chucks now..wood and metal

Terry B
26th July 2006, 10:49 PM

I was one. I had not been taught this but I am not from a woody background. It does make sense though and since I have recently purchased a chuck having only ever used a faceplate in the past I will take it on board.

Auzzie turner
27th July 2006, 12:08 AM
you made the poll a special way so you can see that, just click on 'veiw poll results' then click on either of the numbers on the right.

cheers

btw, one of em was me
Thanks stirlo, Still learning

soundman
27th July 2006, 07:25 PM
my drill press had one of those spring loaded things in it too, it lasted about 5 minutes who needs to be pushing at their chuck key when you are trying to centre a drill.
then you are more likely to injure yourself grabing for or fereting for the kamakasi chuck key. this is one of those so called " safety features".

if you are looking for a string thing for your chuck key ( yeh yeh a string is dangerous if you leave the chuck key in. read above) retracting ID card thingys are great. clip it to the front right hand of the belt housing and whizo there it is.
left side for lefties.

cheers

jmk89
27th July 2006, 10:01 PM
my drill press had one of those spring loaded things in it too, it lasted about 5 minutes who needs to be pushing at their chuck key when you are trying to centre a drill.
then you are more likely to injure yourself grabing for or fereting for the kamakasi chuck key. this is one of those so called " safety features".

if you are looking for a string thing for your chuck key ( yeh yeh a string is dangerous if you leave the chuck key in. read above) retracting ID card thingys are great. clip it to the front right hand of the belt housing and whizo there it is.
left side for lefties.

cheers

First useful idea I've heard of for those retractable string thingies. I think I have a spare in my desk at work

powderpost
27th July 2006, 10:10 PM
Ever been caught with an older scroll chuck with two tommy bars and a job in the third hand? I solved this by taking a 5/16" bar about 200mm long that fits the chuck body, and fitting a large round knob that neatly fits in my belly button (don't say anything :rolleyes: ) on the bar. Now I have three hands... :)
Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2006, 10:43 PM
With the Nove Midi chuck the holes are staggered between the body and the scroll, so all you have to do is rotate the chuck to find a pair of holes close enough to each other for one hand to easily operate both tommies.

Saves certain indignities... :rolleyes:

Cliff Rogers
27th July 2006, 11:03 PM
I use the spindle lock (index pin) til I have nipped it up on the work & then use 2 hands on the bars.

This doesn't work if you don't have a spindle lock.
The quick answer there is to turn a long handle for one of the tommy bars & position it against the lathe bed. ;)

Stu in Tokyo
28th July 2006, 07:58 PM
Good point, I did learn that back in high school on a drill press and a metal lathe, the teacher was adamant about it, I guess it stuck.

Cheers!

weisyboy
28th July 2006, 08:50 PM
i once left the key in the chuck of my drill press it nicked my ear and flew 30' right across the shed and smashed the window on the oposite wall.

now i have the key on a thin peice of bungy rope. that fixed the problem

soundman
29th July 2006, 11:11 PM
Am I reading this correct
Powder post has developed strange muscular control that allows him to hold a variety of wood working tools by puckering & un puckering his bellybutton.:confused:
Or is this my twisted imagination.

When are we getting a resident cartoonist?:D

cheers